• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

The coaching business is not for the faint of heart. There is no other industry in the world where almost 20% of top-level leadership gets terminated on a yearly basis. While both universities and coaches should be optimistic about the ability to build a winning program, universities must enter their contract negotiations with the expectation that the coach’s tenure will end with termination or forced resignation, or a voluntary departure by the coach for “greener pastures.”

"Many initial term contracts offer a 50-75% guarantee for the coach and a 25%-50% guarantee for the university. Schools often view this provision as a penalty or fine that they can force a coach or their new employer to pay in the event that they leave early, and will often try to make the amount owed to them as close as possible to the total compensation they have guaranteed to the coach."

Currently there are 6 coaches in the NCAA that has a buyout clause that exceed $50M, topped by Georgia's Kirby Smart ($92.5 million), LSU's Brian Kelly ($70 million) and Penn State's James Franklin ($64.5 million) for the coaches in case of a firing. I highly doubt those deals are structured to protect one way. Everytime a contract is sign there are many things to consider, such as precendence. In most field - well maybe not contruction and industrial supply which often has order of precedence clause (just knew this by chance) - when you sign a contract out of the ordinary and not incline with precedence; it raises eyebrows. Do you see any eyebrow raise abot Harbaugh's contract??

Perhaps you are well acquainted in the world on contract negotiation in that field so you can enlight us a little. Beacuse since you said you don't know how his contract is, you don't know that; but you come off as somebody who is sure of what it isn't. So does that mean what you are sure of is what it isn't of something that is isn't?? That's a nutshell there bud.

BTW by the way you come across, you are really showing your color. Stay Classy, don't expect much from this know nothing swami
    bro, whats your problem? you started giving me shit for asking a question and accused me. now you're being rude and attacking me directly. I didnt attack you. Now you listed buyout clauses >$50M if coaches get fired prior to contract running out. That is what their schools would pay them to fire them - it has nothing to do with what I asked.

I asked the opposite question after you said that Harbaugh will have to pay UM a "buyout" to leave. The only thing I said i was sure of is that an NFL team would have no obligation to pay a school. Let me know when you find out if Harbaugh actually has to pay something or its just a cancellation of a deferred retention bonus - money he doesn't have yet.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Wrbanwal
      FUdean
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know Harbaugh’s contract but I don’t see how a college can hold any leverage over an NFL team regarding hiring their employees. NFL doesn’t have to pay UM shit to hire an employee. I would hope Harbaugh’s lawyers didn’t leave language in his contract saying he will personally pay them money if he stops working for them. Buy-out clauses more often are a min guarantee to pay the employee to leave early (eg fire someone).

Anyone know any facts?
      According to BetMGM so who knows if it’s accurate
      Jim Harbaugh’s Salary

Jim Harbaugh’s annual base salary is $655,000 throughout the deal. He’s also due “additional compensation” each year:
      • 2022: $6,395,000
      • 2023: $6,535,000
      • 2024: $6,678,000
      • 2025: $6,824,000
      • 2026: $6,973,000

That brings his total annual salary to more than $7 million for each of the five years. Jim Harbaugh’s Buyout if He Leaves for NFL

If Harbaugh terminates the contract before its end date, he owes the university a buyout:
      • Year 1: $3 million
      • Year 2: $2.25 million
      • Year 3: $1.5 million
      • Year 4: $750,000
      • Year 5: $0
      Read about contract details for Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
        FUdean
        • Dec 2022
        • Send PM

My .02

no way FUdean will offer something in the neighborhood of 10 million for a head coach

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

Jim Harbaugh’s Salary

Jim Harbaugh’s annual base salary is $655,000 throughout the deal. He’s also due “additional compensation” each year:

That brings his total annual salary to more than $7 million for each of the five years. Jim Harbaugh’s Buyout if He Leaves for NFL

If Harbaugh terminates the contract before its end date, he owes the university a buyout:
          So 2 years of that deal he will net $12M instead of $14M in pay (rounded)? ok. Money should not be what decides his future then.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
            FUdean
            • Dec 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

So 2 years of that deal he will net $12M instead of $14M in pay (rounded)? ok. Money should not be what decides his future then.
            Crazy isn’t it? And he’s not the highest paid college coach

im guessing he leaves. He’s gonna get a new boat for sure lol

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

Rex Ryan said that he cannot wait for the Chargers to get a real coach, "with this quarterback and those players, I think they can be special".

I know he thinks little of Staley, but what about the last part: could a Harbaugh come in and win immediately with these players ..... minus the cap casualties?

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Chris simms talks about Staley in the second half of this video. All I can think of is why the Phuck is Staley still the head coach. You lose nothing and I mean nothing by letting him go at this point in time.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Crazy isn’t it? And he’s not the highest paid college coach

im guessing he leaves. He’s gonna get a new boat for sure lol
                  Tm not sure if he does or not yet. its an odd year for him, for sure. one of my BFF is UM alum go blue blah blah - he took me to the rose bowl that Texas beat them in now 19 yrsago? Anyway, he asked me what I thought would happen and I sent him something like this ...

world louis GIF

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Jim Harbaugh’s Salary

Peanuts on the buy out

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Harbaugh is worth all the compensation and more
                      even from just a business perspective, for baby Spanos to creak open his penny purse, goes a long way in LA, 2nd biggest media market.
                      I don't see how you don't instantly sell your brand by 200%
                      God forbid we become a winning team, the story of Harbaugh's return will be a weekly talking point in every major sports media company.
                      Hell, even if it goes down in flames!
                      Can't really "lose" here with JH if you're lil jon.
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

who would Harbaugh bring as his DC?

Herb just needs a rank #15 defense.