• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

This is bad logic just as wins being QB stats. People that don't know the team think Lynn and Bradley were "genius" having all those DBs against the Ravens....LOL..all the LBs were hurt! McCoy "won a playoff game" because Andy Dalton SUCKED.

Lynn had a QB who knew more football than him. He couldn't manage a game. He punted on 4th and 1 and gave the ball back to Mahomes. He failed over and over
    Name a good coach. A new name. Not some obvious has done it before and won SB name.

Name a new good one?
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Name a good coach. A new name. Not some obvious has done it before and won SB name.

Name a new good one?

Zach Taylor
      Mike McDaniel
      Sean McVey - 11-5, 13-3 out the gate

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by el_jefe999 View Post
        Tranquil was a huge liability in the run game as evidenced by the fact that our run D is hugely improved this year with out a huge change in players; that being said Kendricks is terrible in coverage. I have high hopes for Henley as he's flashed so hoping to see more of him.

RE Staleys defense the more I learn about it the more I see it as a recipe for failure. You are putting your players in a fully reactive mode on every play where they have to think and diagnose instead of playing fast and attacking. Not to mention that offensive coordinators are going to very quickly learn the keys they are using to shift coverages and game them into the wrong defense. This makes more sense as to why the middle of the field is always wide open... time to keep it simple and ditch Staley
        Yes our run defense is a lot better overall and our pass defense took a big shit.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

He is asst HC of 49ers. He is hardly a horrible coach.
          He went 33-31 which is a winning record for Chargers (Spanos, Telesco, inherited from meek Mike McCoy) That was his start with us. He won a playoff game. His OC was Steichen and his DC was Gus Bradley. 1 of his 4 season he tied for best record in the AFC at 12-4. He had 3 top 10 defenses in yards allowed in 4 seasons. And 3 top offense in yards gain in 3 seasons. His new QB was rookie of the year.

Horrible coaches are below .500 career in NFL.
          Lynn is Asst HC and RBs coach. I wouldnt put any significants on being Asst HC. They have another guy whose title is Assistant to the HC. They also have a run game coordinator. Why wouldnt Lynn have that job? Seems they have an assistant to every possition coach.
          I wonder if we have that many coaches?

Comment

• Eurobolt
            *** Jim Harbaugh ***
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

He went 33-31 which is a winning record for Chargers (Spanos, Telesco, inherited from meek Mike McCoy) That was his start with us. He won a playoff game. His OC was Steichen and his DC was Gus Bradley. 1 of his 4 season he tied for best record in the AFC at 12-4. He had 3 top 10 defenses in yards allowed in 4 seasons. And 3 top offense in yards gain in 3 seasons. His new QB was rookie of the year.

He is an Assistant for a reason.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lynn is Asst HC and RBs coach. I wouldnt put any significants on being Asst HC. They have another guy whose title is Assistant to the HC. They also have a run game coordinator. Why wouldnt Lynn have that job? Seems they have an assistant to every possition coach.
              I wonder if we have that many coaches?
              There are few great coaches. Lynn dealt with a lot. City change and QB change. He can be criticize it's part of the job. But I think if you don't have a sure fire clear upgrade then why make the change. There a few hall of fame coaches available and Spanos would pay that type of money. So....it becomes a coaching carousel. Just pick a guy and stick with him through the ups and downs.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Zach Taylor
                Mike McDaniel
                Sean McVey - 11-5, 13-3 out the gate
                I said someone who has not won a SB. So McVay doesn't count. And Taylor has Burrow, second best QB in NFL. That as cherry picked as it gets when attempting to name good HC.

A new name. McDaniel is that your guy. Track team that looks amazing, but if you mess up Tua timing the offense struggles.

That is your guy. Okay. Remember last year vs Staley defense. LoL.

But do you got a name of someone new. Like a OC or DC you think would be a great HC. Name them?

Comment

• BigBad
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

But do you got a name of someone new. Like a OC or DC you think would be a great HC. Name them?
                  How could a fan actually make that call? Its a dumb question. I have ZERO inside information on NFL assistant coaches.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

How could a fan actually make that call? Its a dumb question. I have ZERO inside information on NFL assistant coaches.
                    You could say Eric Bieniemy. You could be wrong or right depending on the QB he has and how good of a roster the GM builds. But that would be a good name. He played in the NFL and he has worked with one of the best coaches ever. So it would be a good bet to hire EB as your HC.

If I'm replacing Staley with someone new. Not a high priced name, but a football coach who I would want to give a chance to...EB would work for me as a Staley replacement. But again Johnny probably doesn't want to work with EB, he likes Brandon Staley and Tommy Telesco.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Imagine how good Chargers could have been if we kept Steichen

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

33-31 is a .500 record for those not prone to statistical nitpickery. Just because Staley is not the answer doesn’t mean Lynn was. Lynn had a grasp of broad team structure but he was not a particularly innovative insightful football mind at all. And others are right - he really was bad at clock management. He also presided over atrocious ST’s and was way late in finally removing Stewart long after it was needed.

Herbert was OROY, not Lynn. Lynn did not make Herbie imo. Lynn didn’t even want to play him his rookie year. If not for a hack doctor puncturing our starter’s lung, he may not have. Nobody made Herbie but Herbie. Just me.

I have no idea what his current job in SF actually entails so I can’t comment on his importance in the NFL in 2023. Asst HC to a hands on top HC - what does that mean? he was a RB position coach in reality before being plucked as Chargers HC. All jmo.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

33-31 is a .500 record for those not prone to statistical nitpickery. Just because Staley is not the answer doesn’t mean Lynn was. Lynn had a grasp of broad team structure but he was not a particularly innovative insightful football mind at all. And others are right - he really was bad at clock management. He also presided over atrocious ST’s and was way late in finally removing Stewart long after it was needed.

Herbert was OROY, not Lynn. Lynn did not make Herbie imo. Lynn didn’t even want to play him his rookie year. If not for a hack doctor puncturing our starter’s lung, he may not have. Nobody made Herbie but Herbie. Just me.

I have no idea what his current job in SF actually entails so I can’t comment on his importance in the NFL in 2023. Asst HC to a hands on top HC - what does that mean? he was a RB position coach in reality before being plucked as Chargers HC. All jmo.
                          But did they get better or worse, marginally better or worse..... He did go 12-4 with veteran QB. So.....why could he get to that record with his rookie of year once he becomes a vet. Or are we going give all blame and no credit to Lynn and just make the claim that it was all Rivers. Lynn was and is a very solid football coach. His record was a winning one. In a limit time. With City change and QB change. Not simple adjustments for a first time HC or a veteran HC.

Coaching carousel isn't a good way to create a winning culture.

Comment

Working...
                          X