Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Nobody wants the players to tank or the coaches to tank
    That said -- being 6-11 does have advantages over 8-9 -- draft picks, not only the first round but every round
    different schedule, last place schedule - granted in the NFL, teams can improve year to year

But yes, build a team that is good for 4-5 years - or the length of the Herbert contract
    thats why Telesco needs to go - he sucks at his job
    Agree, .......if Tom Telesco isnt picking the players. I dont trust Telesco anymore. Now i wont put 100% on him. Our scouting department must be shit to come up with Woods and McKitty as 3rd round picks. Ive said before, the top is where it starts and the top is Spanos.

HC needs a change and so does the GM but scouting depot comes from the top and im looking at JohnBoy who may be the fool who watches over them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
      I dunno, it just seems like a pipe dream. Lots of very widely placed dominos need to fall into place for Harbaugh to come to LA.

Domino #1 - Will Staley even be fired? Former NFL Exec Randy Mueller of the Athletic claims that there is much more support for Staley internally than externally. Truly amazing to read that, but BS is in the 3rd yr of a 4 yr contract. In 2015, McCoy finished 4-12, yet returned for a 4th season. In 2019, Lynn finished 5-11, yet returned for a 4th season. We shouldn’t fool ourselves into thinking this isn’t a huge factor being weighed by Spanos.

Domino #2 - Would Harbaugh even want to come to LA? If you were an intelligent, highly sought-after HC candidate, wouldn’t you be picky about who your next boss would be? I’ll go a step further - Is it possible that Staley, Lynn, & McCoy were simply the only guys they could get? I mean, we’re all painfully aware of the valid reason the Mannings smartly asked for that trade back in ‘04. There was a reason Anthony Lynn made his comment about the stark contrast in available resources (SF vs SD). There was also a reason why Matt Slauson made his comments about “someone” in upper management meddling with starting lineups. Surely a smart man like Harbaugh would be well aware of what he could potentially be getting himself into.

Domino #3 - Would Spanos be willing to pay what it would take? (I.e. upwards of $20 mil per yr). Moreover, how much would that leave in their budget for anything else, like quality staff, scouting, trainers etc? Would Harbaugh have to double as the team bus driver? Would players have to pay for their own gym memberships? I kid, of course. But we probably do have to acknowledge that a limited budget is a very real consideration.
      True , .....but i think at least Telesco need to go. He is the common denominator in all this. Staley has barely a winning record, Telesco does not.

Im all for hiring Harbaugh but at the very least we need to fire Telesco. Just my opinion....and if TT is fired, Staley very well could be next but let the new GM decide that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
        I'm tired of coordinator experiments... I'd take a college coach over some rising "potential" coordinator.
        "How much they cost??"
        Screenshot_20231204-140305_Firefox.jpg

Comment

• AFboltfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2018
          • Balboa Park bench
          • Medical Simulation
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
          Ok that needs to be a meme...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True , .....but i think at least Telesco need to go. He is the common denominator in all this. Staley has barely a winning record, Telesco does not.

Im all for hiring Harbaugh but at the very least we need to fire Telesco. Just my opinion....and if TT is fired, Staley very well could be next but let the new GM decide that.
            I agree - if its only one of them, Staley or Telesco - it has to be Telesco. Over 11 years, his rosters, if you take away QB, are not good. How many GMs that take over jobs get QBs like Rivers in the first place and now Herbert. Look at some recent GM openings

NYG: post Eli - its been Daniel Jones and there are questions
            Chicago: they are looking at a new QB already
            Pittsburgh - post Ben, not good
            Tampa - post Brady (maybe not a new GM opening, Licht has been there a bit of time_
            Atlanta - post Ryan
            Jets - Douglas is still looking

So Telesco has had two good NFL QBs - arguably both top 10 QBs and STILL not being able to put complete rosters around - a joke of a GM\

Agree that a new GM could spell trouble for Staley -- and for me, Staley should have ceded the DC job last spring and focused on being a HC. Now you almost have to fire him as the defense needs a makeover

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Thoughts on Gary Kubiak?

- Lifetime backup to Elway.
              - Was Elway's OC during back-to-back SB run
              - savvy 10 years HC experience
              - understands how to maximize a QB's talent yet knows how to develop contingency plan (running game) in event QB struggles
              - should be cheaper than 20 mil
              - 5-2 playoff record as HC

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree - if its only one of them, Staley or Telesco - it has to be Telesco. Over 11 years, his rosters, if you take away QB, are not good. How many GMs that take over jobs get QBs like Rivers in the first place and now Herbert. Look at some recent GM openings

NYG: post Eli - its been Daniel Jones and there are questions
                Chicago: they are looking at a new QB already
                Pittsburgh - post Ben, not good
                Tampa - post Brady (maybe not a new GM opening, Licht has been there a bit of time_
                Atlanta - post Ryan
                Jets - Douglas is still looking

So Telesco has had two good NFL QBs - arguably both top 10 QBs and STILL not being able to put complete rosters around - a joke of a GM\

Agree that a new GM could spell trouble for Staley -- and for me, Staley should have ceded the DC job last spring and focused on being a HC. Now you almost have to fire him as the defense needs a makeover
                For sure TT is the bigger problem. Not just with personal, but with the head coaches hired. The WORST any GM could have done with Rivers and JH is what TT has done.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Carlsbad, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

I want an experienced coach with a line of scrimmage emphasis. OL and DL. Can run the ball. Can stop the run.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

For sure TT is the bigger problem. Not just with personal, but with the head coaches hired. The WORST any GM could have done with Rivers and JH is what TT has done.
                    I think Telesco should be judged by his record, which is bad and he should be fired. However, I'm not sure all the coaching woes are all on him.

Ron Wolf was the one who recommended McCoy and Dean fell in love him and hired him, cancelling an interview with Bruce Arians and not bothering to interview Andy Reid. My understanding is that Dean let TT and John hire the next coach and that was Lynn. After that disaster, Dean was much more involved in the hiring of Staley. It was a team cluster-f*** for all of the coaches hired.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                      Social Piranha
                      • May 2022
                      • Flyover, USA
                      • Send PM

What’s astounding is how many statistical precedents this team keeps setting under BS - usually something along the lines of “first team in (X) years to lose despite (Y) + (Z)”

I don’t know if this qualifies, but the Chargers are 3rd in the NFL in sacks, yet 28th in yards allowed. Usually a team that has 41 sacks by this time of year can be considered a decent defense. But we are talking about the Chargers I guess.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                        What’s astounding is how many statistical precedents this team keeps setting under BS - usually something along the lines of “first team in (X) years to lose despite (Y) + (Z)”

I don’t know if this qualifies, but the Chargers are 3rd in the NFL in sacks, yet 28th in yards allowed. Usually a team that has 41 sacks by this time of year can be considered a decent defense. But we are talking about the Chargers I guess.
                        Front seven decent with back 4 playing below average?!?!?
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                          Thoughts on Gary Kubiak?

- Lifetime backup to Elway.
                          - Was Elway's OC during back-to-back SB run
                          - savvy 10 years HC experience
                          - understands how to maximize a QB's talent yet knows how to develop contingency plan (running game) in event QB struggles
                          - should be cheaper than 20 mil
                          - 5-2 playoff record as HC

"SOLD!"

--Baby Spanos
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Working...
                          X