• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If that happens, Telesco should be gone too.
    If they fire another head coach under Telesco, Telesco will be gone as well, almost a certainty.

I still believe in Staley, but he'll need to make some drastic changes to his staff. I don't think he has the benefit or the luxury to learn on the job for another year.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

If they fire another head coach under Telesco, Telesco will be gone as well, almost a certainty.

I still believe in Staley, but he'll need to make some drastic changes to his staff. I don't think he has the benefit or the luxury to learn on the job for another year.
      Was Telesco involved in the decision to hire McCoy? They were hired about the same time.

Definitely Telesco was involved in the Lynn hire. And I think Telesco was the driving force behind the Staley hire. I think he fell in love and talked the Spanoses into it. So I agree with you if they move on from Staley it will be a total house cleaning - Telesco will go too.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Was Telesco involved in the decision to hire McCoy? They were hired about the same time.

Definitely Telesco was involved in the Lynn hire. And I think Telesco was the driving force behind the Staley hire. I think he fell in love and talked the Spanoses into it. So I agree with you if they move on from Staley it will be a total house cleaning - Telesco will go too.
        I'm pretty sure he was involved somewhat in the McCoy hire. They hired Ron Wolf as outside consultant to search for a GM, and shortly after Telesco was signed, if I remember correctly, the Spanos' announced McCoy as head coach and that it was also with approval and in consultation with the new GM hire.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

IIRC, Dean wanted much more say in the hiring of the coach after McCoy was fired and was the one who hired Lynn.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            IIRC, Dean wanted much more say in the hiring of the coach after McCoy was fired and was the one who hired Lynn.
            Yeah, I do remember reading something to that effect.

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2022
              • Send PM

Did HC Brandon explain letting the clock expire to 1 second with the ball at the end of the first half?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
                Did HC Brandon explain letting the clock expire to 1 second with the ball at the end of the first half?
                He probably said "Fuck it, I give up on this offense. I'm gonna have Ryan Ficken and his ST unit win the game for us after we come back from the half."

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Have to keep it fair and balanced.

I have questioned some of Staley's calls but want to give him credit for replacing JC Jackson last night. He knew when he had seen enough and wasnt afraid to bench the big off season 82 million signing for the good of the team.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
                    From Popper:

I had no issues with how Staley managed the clock at the end of regulation. After Tranquill’s second sack, the Chargers took over after a Broncos punt at their own 25-yard line with 1:51 remaining and three timeouts. Staley’s goal was to finish the game with the ball. As such, he did not use any of his timeouts earlier in the drive. The Chargers faced a third-and-1 from their own 44 with 33 seconds remaining after a Broncos timeout. Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi called a play-action pass, looking to hit tight end Gerald Everett on a corner route. Everett was not open. Herbert checked down to fullback Zander Horvath, who was tackled in bounds. If Staley took a timeout after this play, that would have left time on the clock for the Broncos whether he punted it away or decided to go for it on fourth down and failed to convert. If the Chargers converted this third down, they would have been in Broncos territory with less than 30 seconds remaining and multiple timeouts to use, leaving the option of using the middle of the field. Staley ended up taking a timeout with one second remaining to try a Hail Mary. I can understand disagreeing with this decision, because it put Herbert and his injured ribs in relatively unnecessary harm. But the clock management was fine. Time was not the issue. They would have still had plenty of time remaining if they converted on the third-and-1. The issue was not converting.

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2022
                      • Send PM

Trying to understand Staley's approach translate to in-game playcalling. I am all-in-on the Herbert Paradigm he continuously used to explain things like how to end the game and 4th down attempts. Yet with 33 seconds left in the 1st half ~ 20 yards from viable field goal, he takes the ball out of his hands. This I will read when Staley gives his PC. And way overdue getting Herbert to play more in space be it bootlegs, rollouts, moving the pocket. This young man is a tremendous athlete and knows how to protect himself.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                        Have to keep it fair and balanced.

I have questioned some of Staley's calls but want to give him credit for replacing JC Jackson last night. He knew when he had seen enough and wasnt afraid to bench the big off season 82 million signing for the good of the team.
                        Good take.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Is Telesco allergic to Speed?
                          A little of that vs the Broncos and Herbert job get so much easier.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X