• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Just had a thought. What about making Forrest Merrill an o-lineman? With all that power (his dead-lifting and benching) he could pancake a lot of d-linemen as a guard. He wouldn't have to have great range if he were a guard. If we found Kris Dielman's second coming wouldn't that be groovy?
    Dielman was 6-4, 320...

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Dielman was 6-4, 320...
      But guards don't have to be that tall. Especially if they're busy pancaking their man on run plays. My point was Merrill could be someone that makes the transition from defensive to offensive line just like Dielman. I mean I hope the Chargers at least explore the possibility since they are kind of light in o-line depth at this time.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

But guards don't have to be that tall. Especially if they're busy pancaking their man on run plays. My point was Merrill could be someone that makes the transition from defensive to offensive line just like Dielman. I mean I hope the Chargers at least explore the possibility since they are kind of light in o-line depth at this time.
        Then why not get some experienced online depth... Either pro or undrafted college free agent? I see nothing in his physical makeup or athletic traits that indicate a move to the offensive line would be feasible. Strength alone doesn't cut it.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Then why not get some experienced online depth... Either pro or undrafted college free agent? I see nothing in his physical makeup or athletic traits that indicate a move to the offensive line would be feasible. Strength alone doesn't cut it.
          And you've also stated that Merrill doesn't show much lateral movement skills for a d-lineman. So why did the Chargers sign this guy? Not saying he's great. Just wondering.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Dielman had played some TE. Point being he had movement skills. Merrill is a one trick fireplug. Nearly impossible to drive off his spot but not much range. His specialty should be useful in a rotation at NT depth, OG depth if he's a good teammate in all other respects.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

And you've also stated that Merrill doesn't show much lateral movement skills for a d-lineman. So why did the Chargers sign this guy? Not saying he's great. Just wondering.
              You need bodies for camp. 95% of UDFA will never make a roster.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

You need bodies for camp. 95% of UDFA will never make a roster.
                Maybe for NFL but not the Chargers per say.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Maybe for NFL but not the Chargers per say.
                  Oh I agree that there's likely going to be an undrafted free agent make the team. However in my opinion it's not Merrill, and he's likely fighting for a practice squad spot at best.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Camp fodder...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I would think that come maybe training camp or Labor Day -- post cuts, before the season starts - Telesco and Staley can assess the training camp, see what they have. I wouldn't be surprised if a veteran IOL were signed. At this point, I think they need to see what they have first. Plus - this is a slow time. Veterans might start signing end of July to get paid something

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would think that come maybe training camp or Labor Day -- post cuts, before the season starts - Telesco and Staley can assess the training camp, see what they have. I wouldn't be surprised if a veteran IOL were signed. At this point, I think they need to see what they have first. Plus - this is a slow time. Veterans might start signing end of July to get paid something
                        Vets hate TC. If we sign an experienced vet, which I don’t see unless injury replacement, it will be towards the end of TC.
                        I see EDGE or CB as the landing spots.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

That is what I was referring to by the word get. This is all in reference to the person's idea of trying to convert a short powerful defensive lineman that lacks lateral movement into a guard. My point was people that have actually played guard will be available if needed. The comparison to Dielman is wishful thinking IMO

Comment

Working...
                          X