• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I think this team is still shallow at Edge and Safety so I'd like to see them add someone at both of those positions. I'd be okay with Houston or Mel for a rotational player. Injuries at either of those positions could be a big problem as the team is made up right now.
    This is where I’m at. I’d like to see Ingram return and see what Staley can draw up for him in a part time role. Ingram is also a charisma guy for the Chargers. Need those guys on the field

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

As I just noted in another post, Ingram actually had a higher rate of pressure than Houston and a better PFF rating.
      Yeah,,....lol, that's how meaningless PFF stats are.

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah,,....lol, that's how meaningless PFF stats are.
        There is nothing necessarily inconsistent with Ingram getting more frequent pressure and yet Houston getting more sacks, even with the lopsided sack advantage that Houston had.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Chili, I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Chili Jr.: Hey Dad, do the Chargers really have a player named, uh, (giggle) Sackwell?
          Chili: What? No way! Where'd you see that?
          Chili Jr.: (points to computer, TPB page) Right here...
          Chili: No way...hmmm...it's Topcat...usually he's pretty reliable...Sackwell, Sackwell, sounds familiar...let's check Google...OH, here it is...FACKRELL!!! HA-HA...HO-HO-HO...wow, good one, Cat...
          pretty much
          :beer:

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I don't think Ingram will ever go for the vet minimum, or even $1-2 mil a year...remember, it was just a year ago he was pouting about Bosa getting that monster deal, and Mel didn't even show up to practice because he was holding out for a megabuck extension...good thing TT didn't get suckered into that one...
            That is not really accurate. The issue was the uncertainty with the season and the fact that there was no guaranteed money left on his deal.

Now having said that, Ingram gambled that he would have a good year and instead of having part of his base salary converted to bonus and extend the contract he and his agent wanted all of it turned to bonus so he could be a free agent for one last sizable contract and especially bonus. Because he got hurt early it affected his play and then he got shut down for the season. Sometimes people only view the upside of the Gamble and not the downside and in this situation it sure bit him in the ass. My .02

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

That is not really accurate. The issue was the uncertainty with the season and the fact that there was no guaranteed money left on his deal.

Now having said that, Ingram gambled that he would have a good year and instead of having part of his base salary converted to bonus and extend the contract he and his agent wanted all of it turned to bonus so he could be a free agent for one last sizable contract and especially bonus. Because he got hurt early it affected his play and then he got shut down for the season. Sometimes people only view the upside of the Gamble and not the downside and in this situation it sure bit him in the ass. My .02
              Okay, thanks for that clarification...from the article, it looked like it was more related to Mel having hard feelings about the Bosa extension...

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Even while playing injured, Ingram had a higher pressure rate and better PFF rating than Houston had.
                This is interesting.. Thank you for sharing! I always thought Mel's game did not translate well into pure stats, but he is certainly a disruptor who also plays the run well, especially given his size. Although he was probably never worth the last contract he signed overall, he has still been a valuable player on the field and in the locker room I believe.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  He didn’t play up to his last contract. 100% agree. He was paid to be an elite starting pass rusher and he was not. Nobody is talking about offering him that contract again. The question is today. is he a possible rotational sub player who could help keep Nwosu or Joey fresher in the 4th quarter where our defenses have been losing tames in recent years by contributing 20-25 snaps? If he’s healthy, then maybe yeah. Beats me, i trust Staley to decide if he has a use / need. But not at $5M, I’m thinking more like $3M ish with some incentives

The KC stuff … I’d call it gay but that wold be disrespectful and unfair to any gay forum colleagues. But seriously - treason for a KC visit after your team tells you to walk?

:freakout:
                  He was paid a lot on his last contract but it was not definitely as a top pass rusher like Joey or AD. It was a contract for a guy who was second tier, which is often inflated because pass rushers are so valued. So I disagree about him not living up to his last contract.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    As I read these posts I keep thinking - who do we have that's better?
                    I like the youth and upside of Nwosu, Fackrell, and Rumpf over Ingram currently. If we wanted him back, he would be back now. As it is, I only see injuries as a reason to bring him back.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Kyler Sackwell--4 sacks and 33 tackles playing in the rotation, compared to Ingram's ZERO sacks and only 9 tackles...
                      Rotations keep you fresher. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ingram’s numbers were higher if we had kept him in a rotation.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

This is interesting.. Thank you for sharing! I always thought Mel's game did not translate well into pure stats, but he is certainly a disruptor who also plays the run well, especially given his size. Although he was probably never worth the last contract he signed overall, he has still been a valuable player on the field and in the locker room I believe.
                        His contract was fine. People just assume that he was supposed to be paid as a premier pass rusher when he was definitely not paid that.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Teams arent in a rush to sign him. Hes not in a rush to sign. Lets see how camp goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X