With the 17th pick, the SD Chargers select ...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    You know there was a time long ago that GM Rich McKay said he used to pick guys who had good speed and measurables when he was with Tampa Bay and they sucked. He said he changed his philosophy later on and picking good football players and thats when TB started to be rellevent and he picked guys like Warren Sapp and Derick Brooks. It did help to get Tony Dungy as the HC shortly after he picked those type of guys.

Al Davis also picked guys by their 40 time but that era had passed by and it didnt work for Al any longer as he picked many busts some 5 years before his death. Fast guys like WRS Johnny Morant, Johnnie Lee Higgins, Heyward Bey, Jacoby Ford, CB Fabian Washington, LB Thomas Howard, Micheal Huff, and even OT Bruce Campbell who ran a 4.7 40, lol. All drafted because they were fast, all busts.

I like speed like the next guy and it does have its advantages but a WR who is very fast doesnt exactly mean they will be good. We have seen many fast WRs stink it up. Brain Still was a bust, a few guys Al picked didnt work out, Deverly Henderson wasnt that great and he played with Drew Brees.

Cody Latimer last years pro day phenom had 2 receptions last season and said he had trouble picking up Peytons offense. Same with Tavon Austin. Both could be factors this year but who knows. I do like Periman as i said but imo he isnt worth #17. WR Philip Dorsett would be a nice pick in the second round. He isnt as big but he is as fast and a better route runner.
    Same with Crowder, small but a football player and production off the chart!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Gordon

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        He's on the right side of 30. He runs a 4.24-40.
        He may run 4.2 but he plays more like 4.5.

Dorsett runs 4.2 and imo plays at that speed and runs better routes.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Dorsett is another stretch wr. Yeah, I'd look at him, maybe even at 17 depending on how things break. I can easily see him going late 1st. And if he fell to early 2nd, he's a trade up candidate. TT went with a speed wr last year, so you know he likes them.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

TT went with a speed wr last year, so you know he likes them.
            He went with speed. Calling him a WR is a stretch. I hated that pick. I tried to trick myself into liking it. But i knew his lack of hands and routes would be a quick end.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
              He may run 4.2 but he plays more like 4.5.

Dorsett runs 4.2 and imo plays at that speed and runs better routes.

02/21/15 - Phillip Dorsett doesn't disappoint in 40-yard dash...Miami WR Phillip Dorsett entered the week as the favorite to run the fastest 40-yard dash at the 2015 NFL combine. And he lived up to the hype with a 4.33 unofficial time Saturday morning. He clocked 4.35 in his first try and chiseled that down on his second run, putting himself as the leader in the clubhouse among the top 40-yard dash times. Dorsett's 4.33 time was impressive, but as a track athlete, it was almost expected. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

02/17/15 - 2015 NFL Combine: Five Bold Predictions...5. Fastest 40-yard dash...By now, everyone knows that Miami WR Phillip Dorsett and Auburn WR Sammie Coates are the favorites to run the fastest 40-yard dash in Indianapolis. Dorsett has the type of speed that could set records and is my personal pick to run the fastest time. But who are a few underdogs who could steal the crown? Florida State CB Ronald Darby led his high school to the Maryland 3A state championship in track, winning the 100-and 200-meter dashes, also earning a gold medal in the relay at the 2011 World Youth Championships in France. He has some mechanical issues as a prospect, but there is no questioning his speed. Miami RB Duke Johnson is so talented maneuvering through traffic, showing multiple gears to erase angles and the speed to turn heads in Indianapolis. Kansas State WR Tyler Lockett is undersized and has too many drops, but he flies like the wind and will test well in the
              40-yard dash. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

02/16/15 - 2015 NFL COMBINE: PROSPECTS WITH THE MOST TO GAIN OR LOSE, AGILITY TESTS AND DRILLS: WR Phillip Dorsett, Miami (Fla.)...Entering the NFL combine, Dorsett is the favorite to burn up the track and run the fastest 40-yard dash at Lucas Oil Stadium. He claims that "anything under 4.3" is his goal. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Most of these speed guys have holes in their game. That's the price you pay to get it.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                He went with speed. Calling him a WR is a stretch. I hated that pick. I tried to trick myself into liking it. But i knew his lack of hands and routes would be a quick end.
                Some similarities to Perriman, no?
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Perriman caught 50 balls for 1000 yards last year. That's ROY numbers for the Bolts. Say what you will, but that's still top production.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• rikardo
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

50 catches for 1000 yards is not productive? Increasing production every year. 19.5 yards per catch over 3 years. Played 14, 12 and 13 games in three years so he was never badly injured. 0 fumbles in 3 years. What's not to like about that?
                    Not for a first rounder, IMO, 50 receptions vs College CB is pretty low IMO. Im not trying to convince you to change your mind thats who you like. Personally I think we have bigger needs that at WR with the Jacoby and Stevie J signing. Our biggest needs IMO are RB, RT or RG, DL and OLB...
                    Last edited by rikardo; 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

I won't be disappointed with Gurley or Gordon. But I don't think that's the pick.

Too tough to tell at 17. I take BPA, OL, DL, Pass Rusher, WR, shoot maybe a Safety to start with Weddle?
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• rikardo
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        shoot maybe a Safety to start with Weddle?
                        When I watched Alabama's game last year 1 D player stud out. SS Collins is a hell of a player...

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                          Some similarities to Perriman, no?
                          No. Perriman can run the full tree. Is 60 pounds heavier and faster. Better in traffic. This whole bad hands thing is overblown. Hes raw. Not just a one trick one route deep pony. He needs work but has the pedigree to become a very good player. Hes death after the catch. Hes done some incredible things on tape that Reese never could do. If hes there close to our 2nd i wouldn't mind trading up for him. You dont see WRs that big with that speed. That alone will make teams draft him high. But he has shown some serious ability that coaches would love to coach out. You put him on a team with a QB this past year and his numbers are huge. Or if Bortles was still there.

Comment

Working...
                          X