• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

I feel bad for anyone that sees the league this way. Must be a very helpless feeling. Great excuse too.

I live in So Cal and have many Charger fans as close friends. We watch lots of NFL together. They dont belong to the Conspiracy Crowd.

I think the Chargers will beat KC at least one time next season and will be very competitive in the AFC despite the fact some think the league favors KC. When the Chargers win it you wont find me saying it was luck and the refs. With Herbert its just a matter of when.
    My thing with officiating is more than just the KC games against the Bengals and Eagles. Its pretty inconsistent across the league. And the one call - the defensive holding - those lame arse calls happen every week. The QB is looking left and the thing happens to their right. Bail out call And its the inconsistency of it more than anything. And why I think Defense holding and illegal contact should not be automatic first downs.

For 58 minutes the ref called the game one way - as its hard to think that up that point, there wasn't a similar play by a DB - but the last two minutes, they call it

Its like the second base up that allows the "in the neighborhood double play" nineteen times in a row but the 20th time, they call it differenly. In theory, the correct call - but its the inconsistency. And I get these are humans making calls. But at the same time, judgement calls are judgement calls - for that game it should be consistent.

Comment

• fanatic
      Registered Chiefs Fan
      • Dec 2021
      • Southern California
      • Realtor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My thing with officiating is more than just the KC games against the Bengals and Eagles. Its pretty inconsistent across the league. And the one call - the defensive holding - those lame arse calls happen every week. The QB is looking left and the thing happens to their right. Bail out call And its the inconsistency of it more than anything. And why I think Defense holding and illegal contact should not be automatic first downs.

For 58 minutes the ref called the game one way - as its hard to think that up that point, there wasn't a similar play by a DB - but the last two minutes, they call it

Its like the second base up that allows the "in the neighborhood double play" nineteen times in a row but the 20th time, they call it differenly. In theory, the correct call - but its the inconsistency. And I get these are humans making calls. But at the same time, judgement calls are judgement calls - for that game it should be consistent.
      Agree 100% Inconsistent calls. Dont agree its because they , the refs the nfl, have a plot to favor one team let alone KC.

There were calls in that game that were missed that hurt KC. Fact is he grabbed Shusters jersey. That play is likely a TD because Shuster beat him with the inside move. Mahomes threw it away and saw the hold. There is no way of knowing if Phila would have moved the ball with about a minute 30 seconds, one timeout and an offense that had mostly stalled in the second half. There is no reason to think KC would have not driven the ball and scored 7 in OT.

Philly lost because they got no pressure in the second half on Mahomes who was playing injured. No pressure you lose. Herbert would have thrived with that protection. KC dominated the second half.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Those refs you are talking about will always be somewhat inconsistent in their calls - they are human beings. For the most part, I thought the SB was ref'd pretty well. I've seen every single Super Bowl, this one was a good game and the team with the best OL won the game - as they usually do. That's why I think we need to work on improving our OL.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

It was a Super Bowl deciding ticky tack call--nothing less.

Mahomes was looking for a call, and did not throw what would have been a TD.

There are different situations, different penalties. For example, in the Chargers debacle at Jags, see the DPI on Ja'Sir. He wants that play back--third and long--obviously hit the receiver early.

The league needs to revisit DPI/OPI, Defensive Holding !
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            Those refs you are talking about will always be somewhat inconsistent in their calls - they are human beings. For the most part, I thought the SB was ref'd pretty well. I've seen every single Super Bowl, this one was a good game and the team with the best OL won the game - as they usually do. That's why I think we need to work on improving our OL.
            Yes, they are human beings. And how many times did we see refs go out of their way to chat up a guy like Brady before a game or after a play and how many times did we see Brady turn to a ref to plead for a flag and how many times did Brady get it? Same with Mahomes. The refs are human and these guys are the rock stars of the NFL. They'll get special treatment. It's human nature.

It's not about a league wide or ref wide conspiracy. It's a single guy at a single time making a game changing call. That shit happens

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              The league needs to revisit DPI/OPI, Defensive Holding !
              I hold the opinion that DPI should only be a 10 or 15 yard penalty from the los. I think OPI is overlooked much more often than it's called.
              The other penalty I don't like is the holding calls on the OL. i just think holding isn't such a grievous thing that it should cost the offense 10 yards - I think 5 is enough. too many good drives get completely stopped because of a holding call on the OL.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I hold the opinion that DPI should only be a 10 or 15 yard penalty from the los. I think OPI is overlooked much more often than it's called.
                The other penalty I don't like is the holding calls on the OL. i just think holding isn't such a grievous thing that it should cost the offense 10 yards - I think 5 is enough. too many good drives get completely stopped because of a holding call on the OL.
                With only 5 yards for holding infractions, there will be a lot more of it.

You can get a guy like Kelce for OPI probably a handful of times per game.

With most defensive backs, he's too strong and pushes them away with ease.
                If not, any tight end would be pretty easy to cover.

With Derwin, its more of a problem getting open for Kelce because of Derwin's physicality.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

The league is smug, very smug.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

With only 5 yards for holding infractions, there will be a lot more of it.

You can get a guy like Kelce for OPI probably a handful of times per game.

With most defensive backs, he's too strong and pushes them away with ease.
                    If not, any tight end would be pretty easy to cover.

With Derwin, its more of a problem getting open for Kelce because of Derwin's physicality.
                    How could Olinemen possibly hold more than they do now?? I could get behind a 5 yard penalty vs 10 - maybe the refs would actually call it more often. What really hurts though is not so much the yardage but the results of the play that is lost to the penalty. How many times have we seen a great play wiped out (as if it never happened) by a penalty?

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

How could Olinemen possibly hold more than they do now?? I could get behind a 5 yard penalty vs 10 - maybe the refs would actually call it more often. What really hurts though is not so much the yardage but the results of the play that is lost to the penalty. How many times have we seen a great play wiped out (as if it never happened) by a penalty?
                      I think it should be 5 yards because the refs wouldn't hesitate to call more holding penalties because it would be less devastating per drive. The kicker would be that if you get caught holding 4 times in a game you get ejected from the game for severe unsportsmanlike conduct. You know if you get caught 4 times you really have been holding 6 times and should be removed from the game that day. Joey Bosa approves this message. LOL!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                        Superbowl?
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Los Angeles/Chicago
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think it should be 5 yards because the refs wouldn't hesitate to call more holding penalties because it would be less devastating per drive. The kicker would be that if you get caught holding 4 times in a game you get ejected from the game for severe unsportsmanlike conduct. You know if you get caught 4 times you really have been holding 6 times and should be removed from the game that day. Joey Bosa approves this message. LOL!
                        I've been saying for years to change O holding from 10 yards to 5 yards, ie. 2nd & 20 is a drive killer

Comment

• fanatic
                          Registered Chiefs Fan
                          • Dec 2021
                          • Southern California
                          • Realtor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

I've been saying for years to change O holding from 10 yards to 5 yards, ie. 2nd & 20 is a drive killer
                          Sure thats what the NFL needs is more penalties called so everyone has more to dispute and argue about. More calls to hold up the game? Not going to happen. Its still about protecting the 50 million dollar QBs. THe NFL likes high scoring games. More likely they eliminate holding if behind the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Working...
                          X