• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

My father was a doctor. He had his first heart attack at 32 years old when I was only a few months old. He had his second heart attack a year later in January 1972 when I was just over a year old. He passed away at 49 when I was 16 of his third heart attack. My oldest brother passed away 4 years ago after a massive heart attack when visiting me here in Panama when he was 54. Second eldest brother had a double bypass when he was 45. My brother that's a year a month and a day older than I am, had two heart attacks and has five stents... First heart attack at 41.

Unfortunately sometimes it just comes down to genetics.
    Wow. Sorry for your losses and thank you for the personal info. No doubt genetics are a serious contributing factor. I’ve read the sooner you start statins the better to mitigate CVD progression.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I’ve taken statens since ‘84 so I have zero concerns for my heart.
      What is a staten?

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

My father was a doctor. He had his first heart attack at 32 years old when I was only a few months old. He had his second heart attack a year later in January 1972 when I was just over a year old. He passed away at 49 when I was 16 of his third heart attack. My oldest brother passed away 4 years ago after a massive heart attack when visiting me here in Panama when he was 54. Second eldest brother had a double bypass when he was 45. My brother that's a year a month and a day older than I am, had two heart attacks and has five stents... First heart attack at 41.

Unfortunately sometimes it just comes down to genetics.
        Wow. I am sorry about your father and oldest brother. Your genetics are more severe than mine. My younger brother had a heart attack at age 39, he survived and had two stents inserted. He hasn't had another one since, that I know of, and he's 57 now. I get the genetics from my mother. Heart trouble is not as common in women, but she had a heart-attack a few days after turning 65 30 years ago and died during bypass surgery at Stanford Medical Center a few days later. It has killed multiple male cousins on that side of the family. One of my mother's brothers, who was always an athlete, was always trim and fit, didn't suffer from it, and lived until he was almost 100. He died in 2019 a month short of his 99th birthday. He gives me optimism and inspiration that if I am strict with my diet and I remain fit as I age, that I can live a quality life for many more years to come. What about you, you must take good care of yourself if you haven't had to deal with it yet.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What is a staten?
          Statins are a class of drug that lowers the blood cholesterol in your body. There is evidence that over time they can also reverse coronary artery disease, the build-up of plaque in the arteries.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Wow. Sorry for your losses and thank you for the personal info. No doubt genetics are a serious contributing factor. I’ve read the sooner you start statins the better to mitigate CVD progression.
            This is what my cardiologist tells me, to convince to take statins. They are very powerful pharmaceuticals, and the side effects can be quite severe. I didn't take them for the longest time for that reason. But I am taking them now. Have you checked your family history? Do you siblings, cousins, uncles that have heart disease or have died from it? What about your parents? It's never too early to start looking into your genetics, and it's easy to do just by learning about your family history.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Wow. That is impressive. You probably don't have to worry about coronary artery disease.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Statins are a class of drug that lowers the blood cholesterol in your body. There is evidence that over time they can also reverse coronary artery disease, the build-up of plaque in the arteries.
                Do you need a prescription for it?

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Do you need a prescription for it?
                  Yes, but I don't think it's that difficult to get. They are also pretty inexpensive. They've been around for a while and there are lots of generics.

Comment

• Berserker76
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

I've been taking statins for about 25 years. Heart disease also runs in my family. The results have been excellent with no side effects (as of yet). You do need to get a yearly blood test to ensure there's no bad side effect on your liver. Talk to your doctor. This doesn't excuse you from a good diet and exercise, though!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

This is what my cardiologist tells me, to convince to take statins. They are very powerful pharmaceuticals, and the side effects can be quite severe. I didn't take them for the longest time for that reason. But I am taking them now. Have you checked your family history? Do you siblings, cousins, uncles that have heart disease or have died from it? What about your parents? It's never too early to start looking into your genetics, and it's easy to do just by learning about your family history.
                      I used to take Livitor but I couldn't take the constant muscle contractions produced by it. Starting from my mid-back area and ending at my right wrist I had major pain from constant muscle contraction. The one benefit I guess was that my right arm was literally twice as big as my left (I was half-popeye). It was pretty painful. I'm thankful that you mentioned this however as I might just look for an alternative (if there are any good ones).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Phillips

And you make a very strong and reasoned argument. But its like rooting for the Raiders or Broncos - just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And if the Pats do win - it truly isn't the worst thing.
                        OMG you guys are a bunch of emotionally weak ladies. Are the Chargers your team, or are the Bills your team? Fuck the Bills, if it helps the Chargers then so shall it be. Bolt The Fuck Up already,.

Ok, ok … I apologize. To ladies … for comparing them to y’all. Women are perfectly capable of internal strength far exceeding this ball-clutching gaggle of superstitious heretics.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Wow. I am sorry about your father and oldest brother. Your genetics are more severe than mine. My younger brother had a heart attack at age 39, he survived and had two stents inserted. He hasn't had another one since, that I know of, and he's 57 now. I get the genetics from my mother. Heart trouble is not as common in women, but she had a heart-attack a few days after turning 65 30 years ago and died during bypass surgery at Stanford Medical Center a few days later. It has killed multiple male cousins on that side of the family. One of my mother's brothers, who was always an athlete, was always trim and fit, didn't suffer from it, and lived until he was almost 100. He died in 2019 a month short of his 99th birthday. He gives me optimism and inspiration that if I am strict with my diet and I remain fit as I age, that I can live a quality life for many more years to come. What about you, you must take good care of yourself if you haven't had to deal with it yet.
                          I eat well. I exercise. I focus on reducing inflammation in the body. I get a CTA and an MRI done every year as part of my early warning preventative regime. I still weigh the same as when I graduated high school. One of us had to be lucky I guess, and thus far it appears to be me. I am 51 with an 8 year old son so I need to be around for as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X