Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I eat well. I exercise. I focus on reducing inflammation in the body. I get a CTA and an MRI done every year as part of my early warning preventative regime. I still weigh the same as when I graduated high school. One of us had to be lucky I guess, and thus far it appears to be me. I am 51 with an 8 year old son so I need to be around for as long as possible.
    I think it's more than luck. Your story confirms what I have been told, read and observed about fitness, body weight and diet keeping Coronary Artery Disease at bay, seeing my own long-lived uncle as an example. You are doing the right things to keep your heart and body healthy.

I had a career that kept me desk bound for decades and I didn't take good enough care of myself. It never occurred to me to watch out for my heart health, though I certainly should have, given my family history. The first blockage and stents at age 59 woke me up to that, but I continued to work and had a hard time staying fit, my weight kept increasing as I got older. Two and a half years ago when I turned 62 I had the opportunity to retire early - earlier than I had ever intended - and I took it. I bought a bike and started cycling as much as I could. I got my weight down and I am fitter at 64 than I was at 44. I remained wary of taking pharmaceuticals. I was on a plant-based diet, my cholesterol levels were low and I was fit, so I didn't take any medication. Then out of the blue this summer another blockage occurred, in the other coronary artery. It wasn't a total blockage and it seemed to develop slowly, and my cardiologist is pleased about that. My heart is structurally sound and healthy, my arteries are still pliable, according to my cardiologist, who performed my angiogram, they have not hardened. This all good news for me. But I did start taking a statin, because my cardiologist told me statins have proven to help reverse plaque build-up in the arteries. I have had some side effects, but those seem to be lessening as my body assimilates.

One thing I have not done during my heart health journey is talk to other heart patients, so this discussion we are having is enlightening and helpful. I keep thinking we should take this discussion elsewhere, but on the other hand more people might see it here, and it might prompt other men on this forum to start thinking about their heart health. I hope so. Coronary Artery Disease is the leading cause of death in the United States for men and women, and people often don't realize they have it until they have a heart attack. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

My father was a doctor. He had his first heart attack at 32 years old when I was only a few months old. He had his second heart attack a year later in January 1972 when I was just over a year old. He passed away at 49 when I was 16 of his third heart attack. My oldest brother passed away 4 years ago after a massive heart attack when visiting me here in Panama when he was 54. Second eldest brother had a double bypass when he was 45. My brother that's a year a month and a day older than I am, had two heart attacks and has five stents... First heart attack at 41.

Unfortunately sometimes it just comes down to genetics.
      The NFL is a needed diversion....losses are not tragedies.
      Going overboard with one's emotions is okay....no harm.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I eat well. I exercise. I focus on reducing inflammation in the body. I get a CTA and an MRI done every year as part of my early warning preventative regime. I still weigh the same as when I graduated high school. One of us had to be lucky I guess, and thus far it appears to be me. I am 51 with an 8 year old son so I need to be around for as long as possible.

In fact, a 2016 study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) showed that lifestyle factors can overrule heredity. The study found that making even a relatively modest effort to live healthfully can cut your risk of heart disease by up to 50 percent.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

In fact, a 2016 study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) showed that lifestyle factors can overrule heredity. The study found that making even a relatively modest effort to live healthfully can cut your risk of heart disease by up to 50 percent.
          I believe it totally. I am going to have to find that study. Thank you.

Is this it? https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1605086

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The NFL is a needed diversion....losses are not tragedies.
            Going overboard with one's emotions is okay....no harm.
            Oh yeah I'm definitely someone that vents. I'm like a volcano. I have to let the steam out or else I would explode.... Although some people think the steam is the explosion itself....hahahahaha.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think it's more than luck. Your story confirms what I have been told, read and observed about fitness, body weight and diet keeping Coronary Artery Disease at bay, seeing my own long-lived uncle as an example. You are doing the right things to keep your heart and body healthy.

I had a career that kept me desk bound for decades and I didn't take good enough care of myself. It never occurred to me to watch out for my heart health, though I certainly should have, given my family history. The first blockage and stents at age 59 woke me up to that, but I continued to work and had a hard time staying fit, my weight kept increasing as I got older. Two and a half years ago when I turned 62 I had the opportunity to retire early - earlier than I had ever intended - and I took it. I bought a bike and started cycling as much as I could. I got my weight down and I am fitter at 64 than I was at 44. I remained wary of taking pharmaceuticals. I was on a plant-based diet, my cholesterol levels were low and I was fit, so I didn't take any medication. Then out of the blue this summer another blockage occurred, in the other coronary artery. It wasn't a total blockage and it seemed to develop slowly, and my cardiologist is pleased about that. My heart is structurally sound and healthy, my arteries are still pliable, according to my cardiologist, who performed my angiogram, they have not hardened. This all good news for me. But I did start taking a statin, because my cardiologist told me statins have proven to help reverse plaque build-up in the arteries. I have had some side effects, but those seem to be lessening as my body assimilates.

One thing I have not done during my heart health journey is talk to other heart patients, so this discussion we are having is enlightening and helpful. I keep thinking we should take this discussion elsewhere, but on the other hand more people might see it here, and it might prompt other men on this forum to start thinking about their heart health. I hope so. Coronary Artery Disease is the leading cause of death in the United States for men and women, and people often don't realize they have it until they have a heart attack. Thank you for sharing.
              Yes please, unless I'm allowed to respond to this harmful plant-based propaganda.
              keeping it animal based keto.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We are getting a little off topic, but Heart Health is extremely important. I am a STEMI survivor, but fortunately maintained most of my heart function. However, I'll probably be on Lipotor, anti-platelets, and bp meds for a while. Statins are important as they stabilize the plaque already in place, and I've never had side effects from that daily 'max dose'. I copied most of the discussion around Cardio Vascular Disease to a new topic here:

It goes even farther, he was only 33 (very young) but he was also in great physical shape. Its not like he was 33 and obese with no history of physical activity. Strange indeed. It reminds me of a time about 30 years ago there was a man about 41 having quadruple bypass surgery. One of the nurses commented he should stop eating

We still have no idea what took DT's life. I hope we all can learn something from the cause that could help in the future.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  We are getting a little off topic, but Heart Health is extremely important. I am a STEMI survivor, but fortunately maintained most of my heart function. However, I'll probably be on Lipotor, anti-platelets, and bp meds for a while. Statins are important as they stabilize the plaque already in place, and I've never had side effects from that daily 'max dose'. I copied most of the discussion around Cardio Vascular Disease to a new topic here:

It goes even farther, he was only 33 (very young) but he was also in great physical shape. Its not like he was 33 and obese with no history of physical activity. Strange indeed. It reminds me of a time about 30 years ago there was a man about 41 having quadruple bypass surgery. One of the nurses commented he should stop eating

We still have no idea what took DT's life. I hope we all can learn something from the cause that could help in the future.
                  Thank you, and I am thankful you are a survivor and still with us.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I believe it totally. I am going to have to find that study. Thank you.

Is this it? https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1605086
                    Yes, and they looked at these factors to determine adherence to a healthy lifestyle:

1. no current smoking
                    2. no obesity
                    3. regular physical activity
                    4. a healthy diet.

"Among participants at high genetic risk, a favorable lifestyle was associated with a 46% lower relative risk of coronary events than an unfavorable lifestyle."

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Your arteries are blood vessels responsible for the transportation of oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the rest of the body. A normal artery will be strong, flexible, and elastic.

Just gonna throw this out there.Also check out Dr.Ivor Cummins on Youtube Huge proponent of calcium scans to catch blockage early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Good on you. Let's hope you have many, many more great years with your son. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

NY Post reports Thomas died of a seizure he experienced while taking a shower. Apparently he had been having seizures for over a year. He was alone when it happened and was discovered in the shower by someone who routinely checked on him for this very reason, unfortunately.

No wife, No kids.

Prayers. Nothing is promised to any of us.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X