Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    I've heard those rumors as well. Golf doesn't test for them. And I didn't know Mrs. Doubtfire was still playing.

yeah she won the Senior US Open and earned a spot in the tournament........Tiger got outplayed by old, pasty white pudgy lady....
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      I think most U.S. Open courses have poa greens, I'm not sure that's the issue, Torrey does and they are great greens

Maybe they could have sewn in a little bent and smoothed them out but do we want the U.S. Open champ coming in at 15 under??
      the issue is that the Poa grows throw the fescue and at a different rate. Poa is fine as green if it is the only grass and mixes well with some others, but not with fescue at all. Chambers Bay is 100% fescue, but the poa is naturally accuring and creeps in and takes over, especially early in the season. When you cut greens so short as in the US Open, the fescu and poa grow at different rates, and thus the disaster you see in the photo link I posted. It is fine if they are not cut as low as they normally would not be for non championship golf. There is no excuse or justification for having greens where you do not get a true roll. It's like having the NBA championship played outside on bent rims or adding pebbles to the infield dirt for the world series.
      Last edited by Panamamike; 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        the issue is that the Poa grows throw the fescue and at a different rate. When you cut greens so short as in the US Open, they grow at different rates, and thus the disaster you see in the photo link I posted. It is fine if they are not cut as low as they normally would not be for non championship golf. There is no excuse or justification for having greens where you do not get a true roll. It's like having the NBA championship played outside on bent rims or adding pebbles to the infield dirt for the world series.

I agree the greens were bad but the point is most U.S. Opens have Poa, u made it sound like it was a once every 20'years putting surface

And while it was a less than decent surface all golfers played on it and some nutted up and a bunch of others whined like little bitches, u know the ones that never sniffed a MAJOR: Poulter, Sergio, Horschel etc.....

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          I agree the greens were bad but the point is most U.S. Opens have Poa, u made it sound like it was a once every 20'years putting surface

And while it was a less than decent surface all golfers played on it and some nutted up and a bunch of others whined like little bitches, u know the ones that never sniffed a MAJOR: Poulter, Sergio, Horschel etc.....
          Would u include Ernie Els in that as well as a two time past Open winner? He said they were the worst greens he had played on anywhere in the world.

Also, the few that did speak up publicly were far from the only complaints. I know this for a fact because my friends brother is the agronomist for the course and was roundly lambasted by almost every participant. He took a lot of heat behind closed doors.

Also, again, the problem is that they are not poa greens. They are fescue greens at Chambers Bay and the poa, being prevalent there, takes over in the early season. The only greens that were tournament quality were the three that were recently resurfaced. When they tried to set the course up for fast greens, they cut them extremely short, killed all the grass, the poa takes over and your are left with a mess of patchy dirt and bumpy uneven surfaces. The greens are actually very nice there when the course is set for normal play, and were perfect about 6 weeks ago before the USGA tried to speed them up as they are not a fast surface in normal play.
          Last edited by Panamamike; 06-22-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I don't disagree that the greens were bad, it's that somehow Poa was the culprit and basically it was poor planning and execution that really messed this up

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
            X