• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Yeah. It's on the list but this is being a TAD exaggerated. I think for a 7th we can find someone better than the 3 we have.

With CHI getting smoked Hicks may be available. That's a bigger question as far as value.

Or Brandin Cooks. Only $3M or so this year but $12M+ next year. With Allen making $20M would we also give Williams $20M and Cooks $12M? We have the space but that's a lot. He would be perfect in the offense IMO.
    I am not concerned about the Cooks contract next year - that can be reworked if need be

Hicks would cost about 6m or so for the rest of the year - but I think would be worth it - IF healthy. Thats a big if.

I think this week - the rumors will heat up

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

TT has draft a RB in 5 of the last 8 drafts. So it's not like he hasn't tried.
      Our RB group was at it's best in 2018 with Gordon and Ekeler.
      Jackson was looking promising as a rook, even Newsome had good Y/A numbers.
      The OL then: Okung, Feeney, Pouncey, Schofield, Tevi.

I looked at every team's RB group this year and their stats... yeah, our backups are the worst.
      Maybe one of them will step up by the end of the season.

We're going to have to draft a RB high very soon. Add that to the list of needs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I think anyone expecting multiple moves will be disappointed. It would be a first to trade for anyone but then we havnt been here in this position.

If we make one on defense, great. That will hopefully help plug a swiss hole or two.

2 moves? Means they really think we can go places and I'd be a little shocked and stoked.

3 moves? Dont see that but maybe Telesco shocks the league.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Mostly the run game will get a lot better when we stop allowing defenses to spend so much time in our backfield. I don't doubt we could get better help at RB, but the guys we have are at least adequate. The run blocking is just not very good and it is a big problem. Even LT in his prime is going to have problems behind our OL.

It's not just the OL. The WR and TE are not doing so great either. Kelley had a couple of runs on the perimeter that were hit for big losses vs the Ravens. But in each play he had multiple defenders to beat. If you get a RB out in space, he should be able to beat 1 guy. But 2 or more take away the natural angles, and there is no hope unless you are a HOF RB, and not even always then.

Look around the league. Cleveland had production from their 3rd string RB the other day. Anthony Lynn had several 100 yard games for Denver back in the day. But when the RB are getting hit like Ekeler did on the 3rd and short, behind the line, there is not much the RB can do about it.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Yeah. It's on the list but this is being a TAD exaggerated. I think for a 7th we can find someone better than the 3 we have.

With CHI getting smoked Hicks may be available. That's a bigger question as far as value.

Or Brandin Cooks. Only $3M or so this year but $12M+ next year. With Allen making $20M would we also give Williams $20M and Cooks $12M? We have the space but that's a lot. He would be perfect in the offense IMO.
            B. Cooks is interesting and I think his talents and contract for 2021 (prorated $2.5M) and 2022 ($13,735,294) fits nicely.
            Here’s why/how….
            1. BC’s 2022 contract isn’t guaranteed but I like keeping him
            2. We have two big internal dudes to resign this offseason in Derwin and MikeDub.
            3. Derwin’s deal can be structured as an extension to his current deal after his 5th year option. Derwin gets guaranteed $ early but Cap hits are friendly for the next 2/3 years.
            4. MikeDub’s deal can be structured with a friendly 2022, 2023 if 5 years, Cap hit. This coincides with the end of Keenan’s current deal.
            5. Let’s us develop Palmer, Guyton, Moore, Reed (INJ), Ffrench, Proehl, Bandy, and/or future draft picks for a deep group.
            Last edited by like54ninjas; 10-25-2021, 12:29 AM.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

B. Cooks is interesting and I think his talents and contract for 2021 (prorated $2.5M) and 2022 ($13,735,294) fits nicely.
              Here’s why/how….
              2. We have two big internal dudes to resign this offseason in Derwin and MikeDub.
              3. Derwin’s deal can be structured as an extension to his current deal after his 5th year option. Derwin gets guaranteed $ early but Cap hits are friendly for the next 2/3 years.
              4. MikeDub’s deal can be structured with a friendly 2022, 2023 if 5 years, Cap hit. This coincides with the end of Keenan’s current deal.
              5. Let’s us develop Palmer, Guyton, Moore, Reed (INJ), Ffrench, Proehl, Bandy, and/or future draft picks for a deep group.
              It's doable but it's gonna be a lot no matter what. What position groups are thinner as a result?

I'm not sure Allen plays out his contract at this point.

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Mostly the run game will get a lot better when we stop allowing defenses to spend so much time in our backfield. I don't doubt we could get better help at RB, but the guys we have are at least adequate. The run blocking is just not very good and it is a big problem. Even LT in his prime is going to have problems behind our OL.

It's not just the OL. The WR and TE are not doing so great either. Kelley had a couple of runs on the perimeter that were hit for big losses vs the Ravens. But in each play he had multiple defenders to beat. If you get a RB out in space, he should be able to beat 1 guy. But 2 or more take away the natural angles, and there is no hope unless you are a HOF RB, and not even always then.

Look around the league. Cleveland had production from their 3rd string RB the other day. Anthony Lynn had several 100 yard games for Denver back in the day. But when the RB are getting hit like Ekeler did on the 3rd and short, behind the line, there is not much the RB can do about it.
                True this. Rewatched some of the games and noted how quickly (and often) our backfield was penetrated. The Oline does seem to be coming together, albeit slowly.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

True this. Rewatched some of the games and noted how quickly (and often) our backfield was penetrated. The Oline does seem to be coming together, albeit slowly.
                  Against the better teams both lines give in enough to make a difference (especially D, dead last..).

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Here’s why/how….
                    If TT brought in Cooks and Mack I’d totally be okay with letting our younger D guys “learn and grow.”

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I thought they were making excellent progress until the Ravens game. And it is worth remembering that Schofield was being forced to play after being with the team a very short period. He did well vs Cleveland, but I don't expect the Browns expected him to play, so they may have been caught off guard. Not so much for the Ravens. But Schofield is a pro and while he is not going to be amazing, he is a solid guy.

Groups that are coming together do take steps back. The Ravens are consistently one of the better front 7's in football, and a team that is not playing only OK is going to struggle some against them.

Our whole team has to continue to get better week after week. Sometimes they will, and sometimes they may not.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Ekkie with limited practice today. Hope he's healthy for the Cheatriots game, but if he's not, I wouldn't be thrilled seeing Rountree and Kelley running the rock...points out need for a REAL solid RB in the rotation...

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          Ekkie with limited practice today. Hope he's healthy for the Cheatriots game, but if he's not, I wouldn't be thrilled seeing Rountree and Kelley running the rock...points out need for a REAL solid RB in the rotation...
                          Well we’d have a couple days before the deadline…let ‘em play, go get ‘em dudes!

Comment

Working...
                          X