Patriots at Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 8)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

that is good news, should help at least little but Chargers have not been good at stopping the run even when everyone was healthy....... just like last several years, teams that need to run have been able to run on chargers whenever they have needed to......

smart teams commit to the run against our bad defense...... stupid teams like raiders give up on run after a few plays..... NE is not stupid.....
    Jones back is a big deal -- be nice if Adderley and Tranq are also back.

Merrill probably makes it back to the PS - but who knows.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Ekeler will play tomorrow

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Ekeler will play tomorrow
        He is starting himself on his fantasy team - so yes, that seems like a very good sign!

Looking forward to the game. Patriots will be ready to play - probably going to run it a lot. Chargers need to get some early stops and get the team and keep the foot on the gas

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

No, what i said was a handful of UDFAs more than replaces ONE 5th round pick. And yes it is because you can test out a lot more UDFAs, that is my point. I never said a single UDFA is better than a single 5th Rd pick.

Maybe you could reassess based on that correction to your assumption.

I recall a time when none of our 5th round picks were doing anything for the team. I call it today.
          No, thats Not what you said:

According to this site, we have 4 Charger 5th round picks on our roster

- Easton Stick
          - Joe Reed
          - Brendan Jaimes
          - Qberry

Zero starters. which of those guys would we not want to trade for a player that could contribute to 2021 LAC? Note we do have a couple 5th rounder starters, its just TT didn’t pick them. In my view, 5th picks have twice the odds as a UDFA. They may linger in the bottom of the roster a bit longer because they were drafted, but there’s no impact from any of those 4. Sign two UDFAs and you’ve got almost the same odds as your one 5th rd pk.

Still hoping Jaimes could turn into a starting RG but will he really be better than the average mid-pack RG FA we can pick up if there’s a hole? Aboushi signed a $1.25M contract, thats always affordable
          You're assessment is lame ....and wrong.

And Aboushi is affordable and has been pretty good for a 5th round pick, eh?
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im not forcing anything and you are missing the pojnt. You said we can just pick up a couple of UDFAs and can do as well than a couple of 5th rounders. Bullshit.....we signed i believe 19 UDFAs this year and who is doing anything? Jaimes is our 5th this year and will contribute at some point this year.

One 5th rounder vs those 19 UDFAs. Now if we can get 19 5th rounders as well this year then im sure our depth would be much better. I agree with Critty as well , if we can trade a 5th to move up in a round or acquire a vet being dumped for salary, im all for that too but to say picking up a bunch of UDFAs will help this tea, i think is BS.

I recall a time when we werent very good a while ago and the posters here calling the part of the problem being that we had TOO MANY UDFAs on the roster. I'm talking young UDFAs that weren't getting better.

CHJ was a UDFA but at this point he is a vet player of 9-10 seasons and not what id call a UDFA anymore. Teams miss in these guys all the time too and a low % of them prove to be that good.

​​​​​​
            Haven’t we had 2 UDFA DTs this year that have more snaps than Jaimes? I have hopes for Jaimes, but they picked up an experienced guy off the street to start over him as an injury replacement. To me, that says he has a long way to go before he’s ready to contribute.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No, thats Not what you said:

You're assessment is lame ....and wrong.

And Aboushi is affordable and has been pretty good for a 5th round pick, eh?
              He was signed as a FA and already established - per your rules he doesn’t count. Why are you changing the rules you personally wrote eh?

I said 2, 2 is multiple. If 2 isn’t enough, 3. Or 4. Or however many UDFAs it takes to find gems. I never said one. 5th rd pick is solitary and binary, and for the 2021 LAC roster, that binary value is zero. Stop being pedantic - your assessment is lame and wrong. We have a half dozen Chargers UDFAs contributing every Sunday, vs zero Chargers 5th round picks contributing. Fact.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

He was signed as a FA and already established - per your rules he doesn’t count. Why are you changing the rules you personally wrote eh?

I said 2, 2 is multiple. If 2 isn’t enough, 3. Or 4. Or however many UDFAs it takes to find gems. I never said one. 5th rd pick is solitary and binary, and for the 2021 LAC roster, that binary value is zero. Stop being pedantic - your assessment is lame and wrong. We have a half dozen Chargers UDFAs contributing every Sunday, vs zero Chargers 5th round picks contributing. Fact.
                He also wasnt an UDFA. I didnt say it doesnt count but when a player is in the league for some years and establishing his worth , is he really considered a UDFA? Isnt he more a vet player at that point?

When i think of UDFAs, i think of a player we picked up as a undradted FA, PS player who went undrafted signed after the draft. But thats me. CHJ are players that every GM missed on. There is that every GM missing on players again.
                Yes Gates went undrafted but but im not sure he was even in the draft and he is a HOF shoe in.

And Two is two, not a handfull lmao. You keep changing your story. Talk all you want, you still arent right in what you said. Apparently it takes those groups of 15 to 20 to find that gem....and that gem isnt found every year.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-30-2021, 08:04 PM.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

The NFL's non-kicker leadings scorers:

1. Derrick Henry 62 pts
                  2. Copper Kupp* 54 pts
                  3. James Connor* 48 pts
                  4. Austin Ekeler* 44 pts
                  5-7. Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Aaron Jones 42
                  8. Mike Williams 38

After Mike Williams, six non kickers are tied with 36 pts

*Conner only scored 30 pts through 6 games compared to Ekeler's 44 pts through 6 games. Conner has scored three TDs in the Cards' last two games while Ekeler has been idle. Kupp only scored 42 pts through 6 games. He scored two TDs in week 7 while Ekeler as idle.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Haven’t we had 2 UDFA DTs this year that have more snaps than Jaimes? I have hopes for Jaimes, but they picked up an experienced guy off the street to start over him as an injury replacement. To me, that says he has a long way to go before he’s ready to contribute.
                    It sounds from Staley’s comments that Jaimes was a pick to develop for the future. Essentially they wanted this to be his redshirt season if possible.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Let’s hope it is ready unlike the Ravens game.

Lombardi is 'ready for the unpredictable'

Chargers offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi focused on the problems the Patriots defense brings to the table and how he is preparing the Bolts offense to be ready for whatever is thrown their way.

Lombardi explained what makes a Belichick-led defense so good.

"One, they're well coached obviously," Lombardi said. "You know Bill [Belichick's] been there forever and they've always been good. They've always been smart, they don't beat themselves. They are very specific to each team they play. I mean they've got a structure and philosophy but there's a lot of nuances to how they play each defense. They're heavy up front, they've got big edge setters, they're going to funnel your run game inside…you've got to be flexible in your gameplan with this team."

Lombardi talked about the presence of Patriots linebacker Matthew Judon who joined New England this season after five seasons in Baltimore. Judon has 6.5 sacks on the season (three away from tying his career high sacks in a season) and 12 quarterback hits. Lombardi explained why the Patriots are one of the best in the business at utilizing their personnel on a yearly basis.

"They're so good at knowing who their people are and developing their game plan and their philosophy around who they are," he said. "Their evolution every year, based on their personnel, is something that has always been impressive. They know who they are, they know who you are, and they know how to put a plan together that gives them the best chance to win."

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Thinking Belichick will stack the run stoppers on Slater's side and rush Judon against Storm taking Cook or Ekeler out of the play having to double.
                        Keenan Allen and Mike Williams will have to beat coverage consistently.
                        Also expect the Patriots to pound the ball and play action over and over.
                        Let's see how Bosa and Nwosu shed Hunter Henry's blocks. If they can't it will be a long afternoon for the defense.

Comment

Working...
                        X