POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Good video about Lombardi scheme as OC.
    He is a very bright football coach.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

I've always thought that if I can often call the next play, the play calling is poor. Too easy to defend. I don't feel that way this season. I do wish we were still throwing a few deep passes but maybe it's not smart considering the defense people are playing against us.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Good video about Lombardi scheme as OC.
        He is a very bright football coach.
        Interesting vid...Lombo's "tight formation" offense they discuss in the video can work against some teams, the teams with slower defenders...BUT...if Lombo is so smart, why is it that it didn't work so great vs. teams like the Vikes and Ravens? Both of these teams stacked the box a lot to defend that tight formation, because they knew a lot of short stick and perimeter pass routes were coming up...If I'm a defensive coach, I keep stacking the box, going with a single high safety, and daring the Bolts to throw long...if we're going to beat the good teams, need some variety in playcalling...

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting vid...Lombo's "tight formation" offense they discuss in the video can work against some teams, the teams with slower defenders...BUT...if Lombo is so smart, why is it that it didn't work so great vs. teams like the Vikes and Ravens? Both of these teams stacked the box a lot to defend that tight formation, because they knew a lot of short stick and perimeter pass routes were coming up...If I'm a defensive coach, I keep stacking the box, going with a single high safety, and daring the Bolts to throw long...if we're going to beat the good teams, need some variety in playcalling...
          Remember Staley said the defense didn't do what they saw on tape .. think it was against the Ravens, so he got out coached in that one. It happens.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• JupiterBolt
            ~ Charger Fan ~
            • Sep 2018
            • Jupiter, FL
            • Send PM

I have a question for those with access to information. It is clear that we are throwing less deep passes this year. Without access to the coaching film, it is sometimes impossible to see what’s going on 40 yards down field. How often are we running deep patterns? When we run them, are they well covered or are they getting quick pressure on JH?

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Give us the breakdown of 25+ YP & 40+ YP from 2020 games 2-16. Include targets, completions, D&D, score, FP, and players involved.
              Do the same analysis for 2021 through our current 10 games.
              Once youve done this, posted it for all to see, we can have a more accurate discussion.
              Lets see this overwhelming data.

Herbert has a league high 24 completions of 15 yards more outside the numbers this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...ating-in-2021/

'Herbert is making a second-year leap to superstardom, and he's doing it by routinely making some of the most difficult throws in all of football. He has a league-high 24 completions of 15 or more yards on throws outside the numbers, which means he's hitting the most hard-to-access spots on the field with more regularity than anybody in the game.'

and this other link below shows 23 deep pass completions by Herbert last season.
              Nick Shook ranks the top 10 deep passers of the 2020 season using Next Gen Stats. Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is included in the rankings, of course, but the top of the list is sure to surprise.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Execution on Vikings game. Herbert was off that day and threw behind players and threw interception, Kelley misses a block so Herbert was sacked. If your scoring and moving the ball, but stub your toe with execution, you lose games.
                The Ravens was a good old ass whooping with players looking at the bye week and feeling good about their record. Aberration game, human nature let down low energy and got your butt kicked game. Staley has to own that one for not getting them ready to compete that day. Lombardi can be criticize like any player or coach. But when you see a stat that says Herbert leads the league on deep throws outside the numbers with 24 completions, be a knowledgeable fan and give the OC a small bit of credit for that success in a scheme designed to create room outside for those type of throws which takes advantage of Herbert's arm talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Teams should sit on our short passing game all day and night long until we prove that we can complete deep passes with regularity. They all should know by now that almost everything is going to be a short pass. They know that they can pass rush with impunity as well since we do not call enough screens and the defenders can all be up at the line of scrimmage anyway.

You are 100% correct that we need to mix up the play calling.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Execution on Vikings game. Herbert was off that day and threw behind players and threw interception, Kelley misses a block so Herbert was sacked. If your scoring and moving the ball, but stub your toe with execution, you lose games.
                    The Ravens was a good old ass whooping with players looking at the bye week and feeling good about their record. Aberration game, human nature let down low energy and got your butt kicked game. Staley has to own that one for not getting them ready to compete that day. Lombardi can be criticize like any player or coach. But when you see a stat that says Herbert leads the league on deep throws outside the numbers with 24 completions, be a knowledgeable fan and give the OC a small bit of credit for that success in a scheme designed to create room outside for those type of throws which takes advantage of Herbert's arm talent.
                    I put the INT versus MIN 75% on Lombardi. Again, as with the Dallas game, Lombardi has Allen running the deep crossing route. Just as I said back in week two, that will not be the only INT on that pattern if Lombardi insists on having the slow Allen running that route. Allen is not going to run away from anyone. Less separation means a smaller window/smaller margin of error. The INT was made by a LB that was stride for stride with Allen--no separation. If Guyton runs that pattern, it is probably just an incompletion and not an INT because Guyton would likely have had some separation by virtue of running away from the defender. (That is exactly why the Chiefs have Tyreek Hill run deep crossing patterns--so he can run away from the coverage.)

As for any discussion of deep passes, we barely throw them at all, so whatever you are thinking of as a "deep" pattern certainly is not the "bomb" type play that most think of when there is a reference to a deep pass. Do you consider the 17 air yard pass to Williams for the game winner last Sunday to be a deep sideline pass? It was a medium pass that Williams ran for an additional 36 yards to score.

We do not lead the NFL at deep anything having to do with our offensive passing of the ball. We are in the bottom 5 in air yards per pass, which I did not have to be told to suspect was true. The total absence of a deep passing game while opponents squat on our short passing game is pretty obvious by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

Herbert has a league high 24 completions of 15 yards more outside the numbers this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...ating-in-2021/

'Herbert is making a second-year leap to superstardom, and he's doing it by routinely making some of the most difficult throws in all of football. He has a league-high 24 completions of 15 or more yards on throws outside the numbers, which means he's hitting the most hard-to-access spots on the field with more regularity than anybody in the game.'

and this other link below shows 23 deep pass completions by Herbert last season.
                      LMAO! I guess with our lame ass play calling, you would consider a 15 yard sideline pass to be a "deep" pass as you stated in your other post. That is beyond hilarious. That is barely even long enough to be a medium pass, much less a deep pass. And, of course, you have given no indication if that stat you cited includes YAC yards where the receiver turns a routine 5 yard pass into a 15 yard gain.

Let me help you. Herbert had 10 completions last year of 45+ yards. They were all big air yard throws. This year, we have 2 big air yard throws on plays of 45+ yards. This year, we are in the bottom 5 in air yards per pass despite having a rocket armed QB. Thank you, Joe Lombardi. :facepalm1:

And yes, the plays called have left Herbert with some tiny windows, which I specifically pointed out very early this season. He has made a number of those lower percentage throws, but that still does not make the play calling good.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                        We do not lead the NFL at deep anything having to do with our offensive passing of the ball.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

LMAO! I guess with our lame ass play calling, you would consider a 15 yard sideline pass to be a "deep" pass as you stated in your other post. That is beyond hilarious. That is barely even long enough to be a medium pass, much less a deep pass. And, of course, you have given no indication if that stat you cited includes YAC yards where the receiver turns a routine 5 yard pass into a 15 yard gain.

Let me help you. Herbert had 10 completions last year of 45+ yards. They were all big air yard throws. This year, we have 2 big air yard throws on plays of 45+ yards. This year, we are in the bottom 5 in air yards per pass despite having a rocket armed QB. Thank you, Joe Lombardi. :facepalm1:

And yes, the plays called have left Herbert with some tiny windows, which I specifically pointed out very early this season. He has made a number of those lower percentage throws, but that still does not make the play calling good.
                          They are scheming specifically to open up outside throws and are leading the league in them. And the scheme is designed to also be an effective run formation as well. If you understood the scheme and tempo used, you would understand it's to keep the defense guessing about pass and run and where the ball will go and the the opponent defense will go vanilla because they are unsure where the ball is going to go. They are trying to use the whole field and intentionally trying to create high percentage completions. They lead the league in completions of 15 plus yards outside the numbers with 24.

I have no issue with a scheme design to use the whole field, all it's personnel and to be effective like they have been on outside throws.

You want more air yards and bombs away. Just because they aren't doing what you like to see doesn't mean they suck or are wrong in how they are gameplanning with their roster. But you certainly can say they are as if you know more about football than Staley and Lombardi. You should go coach and win a Superbowl since you act like you know better than anyone else. Why waste your brilliant mind here.

Comment

Working...
                          X