POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

This is what alot of us were worried about in the beginning.Staley bringin in Joe who sucked ass in Detroit.I dont care if he delivered your first born, if the dude sucks shit can em.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

It’s not complex it’s too vanilla. The receivers run such basic routes and almost everything to the side of the field rather than the middle.

Even in Herbert’s good games this season, he had to be spectacular on his throws. The Raiders game was the only one in which the offense had it easy. Maybe the Browns as well but that was rather because the Chargers were playing against their entire 3rd string defense and guys who Browns picked up off the streets that were bagging groceries a week prior.

Even the Allen TD against the Patriots was such a difficult throw. There’s gotta be easier options than that if they had a more creative play design.
      Maybe Lombo's playbook is complex AND vanilla...so, it appears Lombardi has the receivers running basic routes, mostly to the perimeter, which is very predictable and easy to defend against. Very few plays over the middle and very few long balls. Then, on those basic routes, receivers have to read the coverage and change route based on coverage. But if the changes are still on the perimeter, and not mostly going over the middle, it's STILL predictable and vanilla...COME ON, LOMBO! GIVE ME GUYTON on a LONG BALL once in a while, for crying out loud!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

The playcalling has gone downhill since we lost both of the right side of the O Line. We were able to still make it work with Norton only, but with both gone it's been bad.

I just remember the first few games being so impressed with how many "easy" catches he had dialed up, just off formation/motion/design...

Haven't seen much of those the last 2 weeks.

He's been around a long time. He knows his offense. It'll get better again. But we've got to protect and run block better. (almost all of the good runs now are to the left...they were before too, but NOW it's really obvious.) Storm is subpar. And he's putting our young QB in trouble.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

People are doing to the Chargers, what the Chargers started doing to them under Staley.

Play 2 High... take away the big play. (they KNOW that Herbert can get it there)

With the drops by our pass catchers, and protection issues, and the lack of a reliable run game... it's making things tough.

I honestly feel the O Line stuggles are the biggest part of it. They can drop 7 or even 8, and get pressure...makes Justin throw quick passes (quicker than he wants to be), and sometimes not accurately.

Scheme it up and fix some stuff Joe.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

More like bring in alotta help and fix this mess TT

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe Lombo's playbook is complex AND vanilla...so, it appears Lombardi has the receivers running basic routes, mostly to the perimeter, which is very predictable and easy to defend against. Very few plays over the middle and very few long balls. Then, on those basic routes, receivers have to read the coverage and change route based on coverage. But if the changes are still on the perimeter, and not mostly going over the middle, it's STILL predictable and vanilla...COME ON, LOMBO! GIVE ME GUYTON on a LONG BALL once in a while, for crying out loud!
              I agree with you about mostly perimeter passes and not enough over the middle. I’d like to see more quick slants to the middle where Herbert can release quickly.

I also agree with a poster that said he would like to see Lombardi down on the field. It was quite a contrast watching McDaniel sit down with NE’s QB on the bench and review plays.

contrast that with Herbie staring out into space on the bench with no feedback.

From what I’ve seen so far, Lombardi is making Herbert regress from last year. What a shame.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                More like bring in alotta help and fix this mess TT
                TT just woke up this morning from his Rip Van Winkle sleep since the draft and asked "Did I miss anything?"

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chitown Chargers View Post
                  Why is the offense so plain ever heard of a half back option a reverse or even a flee flicker we have a very talented offense but it's very boring lately
                  The lack of trick plays aren’t the problem. We want to be efficient and effective, not cute.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I agree with you about mostly perimeter passes and not enough over the middle. I’d like to see more quick slants to the middle where Herbert can release quickly.

I also agree with a poster that said he would like to see Lombardi down on the field. It was quite a contrast watching McDaniel sit down with NE’s QB on the bench and review plays.

From what I’ve seen so far, Lombardi is making Herbert regress from last year. What a shame.
                    That i don't understand. At least have Chase Daniel's sit next to him and stare into space together (with a clipboard on his knee).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

We'll see.
                      Two consecutive bad games is not an insurmountable problem;
                      three consecutive bad games is cause for concern;
                      four consecutive bad games is alarming;
                      five consecutive bad games is grave;
                      six consecutive bad games is time to panic;
                      seven consecutive bad games is time for him to sit out two games to clear his head;
                      eight consecutive bad games will set some here to fomenting a qb controversy between Herbert & Chase Daniels (ugh!)

nine consecutive bad games is something Lombardi will not contribute to.

That was fun!

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chitown Chargers View Post
                        Why is the offense so plain ever heard of a half back option a reverse or even a flee flicker we have a very talented offense but it's very boring lately
                        First of all welcome to the Blues. Also i just wanted to let you know i merged your thread into this one. They are similar and both address the Lombardi style of offense. Cheers man.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

We ran a Jet sweep to Roberts today.

Comment

Working...
                          X