POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

He definitely needs to mix it up a bit more. Everything is out to the flat. No seam route or deep in routes. He never attacks the middle of the field I don't know why.

I say keep rolling JH that should be run at least 5 times a game IMO

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

This is USA Today writer covering the Chargers. Wonder him saying it now will lead to something as opposed to the rest of us who’ve been saying this for several months now.
      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• BigBad
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Chargers have ZERO speed at WR. Teams are packing the D and are not scared one bit against being beat over the top.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
          Chargers have ZERO speed at WR. Teams are packing the D and are not scared one bit against being beat over the top.
          The speed isn't the issue, it's the play of the line allowing uncontested rusher after uncontested rusher with free runs at the QB. We have to gimmick plays up to take shots downfield.

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The speed isn't the issue, it's the play of the line allowing uncontested rusher after uncontested rusher with free runs at the QB. We have to gimmick plays up to take shots downfield.
            Keenan and Mike are not blowing by anyone. Speed stretches the field and then makes average TEs really good and receivers like Keenan and Palmer great underneath.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Keenan and Mike are not blowing by anyone. Speed stretches the field and then makes average TEs really good and receivers like Keenan and Palmer great underneath.
              When your QB has no time to pass, the deep pass is not a very good option no matter how fast your receivers are.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I wanted to retain Steichen and Pep Hamilton. The team of Steichen and Hamilton had just shepherded the best a rookie QB through the best season every by a 1st year QB. I thought that was a team you didn't want to break up. IMO, the jury is still out on Lombardi. But I was not that thrilled with his hiring. He had been lingering on the Saints staff for years, after a failed tenure in Detroit as an OC. Herbert has become primarily a dink and dunk QB with a rocket arm. This offense doesn't seem to put value in stretching the field. Before you say the OL can't protect Herbert long enough for deep routes, remember that Herbert last season was throwing deep routes. So unless you think last season's OL was better than this year's, that excuse doesn't wash. Last season this offense had a pair of wideouts who could stretch the field and who caught deep balls from Herbert. One of those guys was cut before the season, the fastest WR on the team who never had a drop as a Charger. That's all I have to say.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

When your QB has no time to pass, the deep pass is not a very good option no matter how fast your receivers are.
                  Herbert had success with the deep pass last season. Do you think last season's OL is better than this year's OL?

Comment

• Inforfun
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve Posted…looks like the same old issue fix this fix that and we are good. I agree.

What seems to always come back to me, fix the OL, that’s it. You cannot be successful without it TT.

just ask two HOF ers LT and Rivers.

Just 1 question, how Does Belicheat find average players and turn them into heartbreakers. Coaches the fundamentals.

Im not sure we have a defensive Guru Coach.

can someone look up how many games chargers have lost after a bye week? It’s a Really sad amount, almost like players forgot how to play.

I also feel bad for Herbert, hopefully he is not as Gullible as Rivers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

This is USA Today writer covering the Chargers. Wonder him saying it now will lead to something as opposed to the rest of us who’ve been saying this for several months now.
                      That guy is just a writer. One of his tweets says Hebert has it all to lead this offense for years to come. Today he isn't right for it lol. Ok.

This offense worked for Brees pretty well. Why wouldn't it work for Herbert? He could open it up a little more though. That I would agree with.

The defense is a bigger issue imo. Defense needs more talent on it plain and simple. We need to average less than 26-27 points given up per game to win more of them.

Sure we need a RT another RB , could use another WR but we need to be better on defense and it lacks talent.

Vato we resigned and I agreed with that but he isn't a true #1 CB. Our depth is weak too. Gilmon sucked today, so did Campbell.
                      Murray not playing well, Tillery not good enough. Need better pass rushers though Nwosu did play well today. We just need better talent. Hopefully FA ',cy bring us some since we got done money to spend.

As for TT, sure I'm fine shitcanning him too. But I don't want another inexperienced guy. TT just needs to be better at acquiring players via trade or for low picks like others do. Just here and there, not all the time like some posters think he should and name every player that comes available and says we should sign them.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-14-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

This is an interesting read. Lombardi was fired mid-season in Detroit in 2015 and there were some hard feelings apparently.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Last year our O averaged 382 yards per game (270.6 passing and 111.5 rushing) and scored 24.0 points per game. This year our O averages 370 yards per game (270 passing and 100.2 rushing) and 24.3 points per game.

Herbert averaged 7.3 yards per pass attempt last year and 7.2 this year.

Last year we averaged 3.8 yards per rush attempt. This year we are averaging 4.4 yards per rush attempt.

We clearly are running two completely different offenses, but people have this weird perception that we are somehow so much worse under Lombardi than we were under Steichen. The passing numbers are virtually identical and we are better at rushing, though run it fewer times per game. We also score slightly more points per game. We clearly have spots on the roster that need a talent upgrade but it's pretty much the same as far as results go for the O. People are also forgetting the number of head scratching play calls we had last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X