POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
    Would Mac Jones be better fit in Lombardi offensive scheme than Justin Herbert?
    Please do....send him to New England for McD. Sort of a Trojan Horse kind of thing!

:smoking:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That article is over 2 years old. So when Orvloski says " we could not do it", is he refering to himself? He wasnt exactly a very good NFL backup. Stafford couldnt do what Warner did? They had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate who had 99 receptions for over 1300 yards in 2014.

In 2014 when Lombardi was the Lions 1st year OC, they went 11-5. They never went 11-5 again there.

When he was fired by the lions, he wasnt the only one. They started 1-6 and many were fired and the Saints rehired him the next season. So they liked something about him.

I think we have weapons on our offense and we can run this offense but it takes time. Maybe add some long throws in the mix, its never a bad thing. Maybe that will come when everybody is in sync.
      Funny, but not checking myself and listening to others, i assumed he was OC only in 2015.
      That they fired him after only half a season with the Lions.

Frank Reich barely made it two years with the Chargers.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Funny, but not checking myself and listening to others, i assumed he was OC only in 2015.

With a decent OC that fits Herbert's style we'd be 7-2 instead of 5-4 and struggling to beat average teams. Lumbardo is Kryptonite to our Superman.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Screenshot_20211115-141932.png
          Screenshot_20211115-141718.png
          Attached Files

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

This is USA Today writer covering the Chargers. Wonder him saying it now will lead to something as opposed to the rest of us who’ve been saying this for several months now.
            https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stat...justin-herbert

Who is?
            As his 2021 stats are very, very similar to JH10’s 2020 stats.
            It’s a process folks.
            Last edited by like54ninjas; 11-15-2021, 06:52 PM.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Because.....
              1. Saints O often had a superior offensive line.
              2. Brees was a seasoned 5 year starter when he came to New Orleans...
              3. Brees was more accurate than Herbert, and could anticipate better.....they have different strengths.
              4. Brees is one of the top 10 - 15 greatest quarterbacks to play the game.[/QUOTE]

I think we mostly agree but……
              None of that is the case when Brees became a Saint. Brees never had a 66% comp rate as a Charger. The NO offense took time to develop as will ours. In year 3 they started taking off big.
              Brees’ first 2 seasons in NO……
              10-6 record / 64.3% comp / 4418 yards / 26TD / 11 INT / 276.1 YPG
              7-9 record / 67.5% comp / 4423 yards / 28TD / 18 INT / 276.4 YPG

Does anyone do actual research or just post emotional outbursts?
              I get more and more flashbacks of exwives reading the men post hysterically in here.
              Last edited by like54ninjas; 11-15-2021, 09:05 PM.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Justin Herbert is a proven talent in just his second NFL season, yet the Los Angeles Chargers continue to hold their golden-armed signal-caller back. And it's costing them wins.

This piece published today by Pro Football Focus nails it, and it reiterates what I have been saying: Lombardi is trying to force Herbert into the Drew Brees Saints offense, and it is not right for Herbert, like it wasn't right for Stafford.

The Los Angeles Chargers' unwillingness to let Justin Herbert attack downfield is costing them wins

This New Orleans Saints-Drew Brees offense is sound. That’s not the problem. It has answers for every coverage and front a defense can give them, but it’s not suited for a player like Herbert — just like it wasn’t suited for Stafford in 2014. Herbert’s ability to throw the ball a mile is almost unprecedented in this league, but the Chargers won’t let him use it. A baffling series of events has led the Chargers into a logjam for the seventh and final playoff spot in the AFC, a place they never thought they would be in after a 4-1 start to the 2021 season.
                This is what Herbert was unknowingly getting himself into. Herbert, the quarterback with the golden gun, was going to run the low average depth of target offense employed by the Saints.
                Stafford spent 12 years with the Lions and saw his average depth of target fall precipitously during the two Lombardi years. Those two campaigns rank eighth and 12th in Stafford’s career by average depth of target in a season.
                We’ve seen this before, and we are seeing it again with the Chargers. Herbert has seen his average depth of target drop from 8.1 yards to 7.9 yards. It’s not a big decline, and this was also an issue for the 2020 Chargers, but Herbert’s career average depth of target being as low as it is is almost senseless.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

I wonder what PFF was saying about it after week 5 lol. I bet it wasn't this. Probably had a MVP candidate article on him .

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I think the Mike Williams knee injury is hurting the offense a lot more than people think. Without a legitimate threat opposite Keenan, our offense is not nearly as effective.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      I think the Mike Williams knee injury is hurting the offense a lot more than people think. Without a legitimate threat opposite Keenan, our offense is not nearly as effective.
                      Could be but at least he is playing thru it and not missing games.

Don't look now but our rookie WR who has "no chemistry with Herbert" and " has shown nothing" now has more receptions than Guyton.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-15-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Because.....
                        3. Brees was more accurate than Herbert, and could anticipate better.....they have different strengths.
                        4. Brees is one of the top 10 - 15 greatest quarterbacks to play the game.
                        None of that is the case when Brees became a Saint. Brees never had a 66% comp rate as a Charger. The NO offense took time to develop as will ours. In year 3 they started taking off big.

I get more and more flashbacks of exwives reading the men post hysterically in here.[/QUOTE]

Ninja, I guess yer probably right...just so frustrating watching the Bolts lose a couple of key games after that promising start...we continue to build this team next year with RT and D-line as high priorities...still, playoffs are a realistic possibility this year, so, as Yogi Berra once reportedly said, "It's not ovah, 'till it's ovah."

yogi berra copy.JPG

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Because.....
                          4. Brees is one of the top 10 - 15 greatest quarterbacks to play the game.

I get more and more flashbacks of exwives reading the men post hysterically in here.[/QUOTE]

I won't restate everything I wrote elsewhere, but you cannot talk about Brees circa 2006 and compare it to a 2021 qb. It is like ignoring inflation when discussing economics. When Brees went to NO there was little learning curve, as he was top 5 in just about every QB category his first year. He was 4th in tds, led the league in gross yards and yards per game. In 2006, 270 yards per game passing led the league..it doesn't in 2021.

A few more stats: in 2006, Brees was third in the league in yards per pass at 7.4 and his completion percentage was 5th in the league. It was a different landscape in 2006 with defenses, etc. Brees in 2008 to 2011 was then almost unconscious. I think he also had a year where he completed almost 80 percent of his passes. We won't see that again.

Herbert is not top 5 in any category in the league. He ranks about 15th. He isn't Brees in his first year at NO and I think trying to compare any stats in a vacuum is a bit misleading.

Comment

Working...
                          X