Steelers @ Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Summary: Herbert is the best deep ball thrower in the league. But the Lombardi offense has all the receivers running short routes, partially because they don't have the speed to go deep. Great offenses make defenses defend the entire field but the Chargers aren't scaring anybody with their dink a dink offense.

Not to mention they decided to cut their fastest WR at the beginning of the season, and he now plays for the Raiders.
    What is weird is last year we had two guys that could fly deep. Tbilly is gone and Guyton is not allowed to run routes deeper than 10 yards. The more and more I see of Lombardi the more and more I do not like his offense and his inability to adapt and stress the defense.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

What is weird is last year we had two guys that could fly deep. Tbilly is gone and Guyton is not allowed to run routes deeper than 10 yards. The more and more I see of Lombardi the more and more I do not like his offense and his inability to adapt and stress the defense.
      I know. I know. I know. It was so satisfying to see these two speedsters from the practice squad get called up and develop, catching deep balls for long gains and TDs from Herbert. It was exciting. Not just one guy, but two of them who ran the 40 in the 4.3 range. They were young. Herbert was young. It looked like this was going to be a dynamic the Chargers' offense could unleash on opponents for a long time to come. Tyron Johnson really started come on later in the season, making clutch catches running routes, not just deep balls. He never had a drop. Now he's gone, playing for division rival, and Lombardi can't seem to figure out how to use Guyton's speed. Staley had better make sure the offense rights itself, because if they go the rest of the season forcing Herbert to be dink a dink offense and keep losing, and TBilly starts hauling in long balls from Derek Carr, there is going to be hell to pay.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I know. I know. I know. It was so satisfying to see these two speedsters from the practice squad get called up and develop, catching deep balls for long gains and TDs from Herbert. It was exciting. Not just one guy, but two of them who ran the 40 in the 4.3 range. They were young. Herbert was young. It looked like this was going to be a dynamic the Chargers' offense could unleash on opponents for a long time to come. Tyron Johnson really started come on later in the season, making clutch catches running routes, not just deep balls. He never had a drop. Now he's gone, playing for division rival, and Lombardi can't seem to figure out how to use Guyton's speed. Staley had better make sure the offense rights itself, because if they go the rest of the season forcing Herbert to be dink a dink offense and keep losing, and TBilly starts hauling in long balls from Derek Carr, there is going to be hell to pay.
        I don’t think Lombardi decided that Herbert shouldn’t go deep anymore. A lot of things have changed since last season including teams taking away the deep ball and Herbert’s ability to throw deep under pressure.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

The offense is very frustrating to watch
          they continue to put the defense in bad positions early and often, leaving them gassed by the 3rd quarter.
          a defense that already lacks a consistent passrush.

Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Second in the league with dropped passes....Dallas, NE, and Miinasota could have all been wins.

Herbert needs to recognize man or man/zone hybrid when under pressure, and start pulling a Josh Allen on these clowns more often.

Herbert is young, durable, athletic....use it. Rollouts, bootlegs, QB draws sprinkled in....dont let the defense pin their ears back.

Season and a half into his career, looking good mostly...but time to let the kid put the team on his shoulders, see what we have, whether we make the playoffs or not...

Im not down on the coaching staff about strategy...but coaches AND ESPECIALLY players on execution is an issue. If we were even AVERAGE in tackling and catching passes, we got 2 or 3 more wins.

We drop this Steelers game, it wont be the end...but it will be time to start swinging for the fences with Herbert...put the team on his shoulders and temper the kid for the future...training wheels off, and let the kid go for broke...either we turn it around, or we see what we are missing going forward. Hell, Id rather die swinging a sword than limping into the playoffs behind a shield anyway.
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              they continue to put the defense in bad positions early and often, leaving them gassed by the 3rd quarter.
              This is a huge factor. The defense on the field. And those dropped passes affect more than your ability to score - -sometimes it just moves the chains to flip field position and take clock so the opposing defense has to play three more downs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                Second in the league with dropped passes....Dallas, NE, and Miinasota could have all been wins.

Herbert needs to recognize man or man/zone hybrid when under pressure, and start pulling a Josh Allen on these clowns more often.

Herbert is young, durable, athletic....use it. Rollouts, bootlegs, QB draws sprinkled in....dont let the defense pin their ears back.

Season and a half into his career, looking good mostly...but time to let the kid put the team on his shoulders, see what we have, whether we make the playoffs or not...

Im not down on the coaching staff about strategy...but coaches AND ESPECIALLY players on execution is an issue. If we were even AVERAGE in tackling and catching passes, we got 2 or 3 more wins.

We drop this Steelers game, it wont be the end...but it will be time to start swinging for the fences with Herbert...put the team on his shoulders and temper the kid for the future...training wheels off, and let the kid go for broke...either we turn it around, or we see what we are missing going forward. Hell, Id rather die swinging a sword than limping into the playoffs behind a shield anyway.
                I wouldn't mind if the first offensive player from scrimmage - especially if the Chargers get the ball first, which I don't prefer but if they do, open the damn thing up and go deep. First play of the game, max protect and go get it

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  These are total team losses, not just on the O. How about the D force a few 3 and outs and put the O in good field position? How about the ST stop trying to return kicks out from the end zone and putting the O inside the 20? And yes, the O needs to perform better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

These are total team losses, not just on the O. How about the D force a few 3 and outs and put the O in good field position? How about the ST stop trying to return kicks out from the end zone and putting the O inside the 20? And yes, the O needs to perform better.
                    This is also true. The Defense had plenty of chances the last two weeks to force a punt and didn't. They beat the Eagles - but they couldn't overcome the Vikings.

Comment

• BT3241
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2020
                      • Send PM

We reached point where defenses have learned to contain Hebert there is plenty of film now. I think some plays should be put in with a run option for Hebert a designed play or plays which don't seem to be there.When they have to worry about him running he won't be so easy to contain. JT Watt is out giving Hebert a good chance he's their whole defense.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t think Lombardi decided that Herbert shouldn’t go deep anymore. A lot of things have changed since last season including teams taking away the deep ball and Herbert’s ability to throw deep under pressure.
                        I don’t buy it for either reason.

Comment

• jox g
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Simple: Ummmm run the ball effectively (Read option QB/Stick/Herbert included). Play action. Deep ball. Bam
                          That's coaching and player exection.
                          Think about it...How many times do we see our defense in 3rd and whatever and the opposing RUNNING QB get a 1st down with his legs? Major deflator right? Well, works both ways. Why not deflate the opposing team? Will text John Spanos (only number I have.) Ask him to relay this forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X