Kenneth Murray Is Not Playing Much...WHY?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Micah is 6-3 248 and Kenneth is 6-2 241......so based on these measurables he can fit that role. Parsons difference is his speed.....that dude is lightning quick.......
    They are very similar but Micah is not more explosive and only a tick faster in long speed.
    They’re within about 1/2’’ in height of each other.
    K9’ s explosive metrics meet or exceed Parson’s.
    Micah lacks length where Murray does not.
    Micah has more flexibility, bend, and much better hand usage (Murray’s very limited-major issue in his game).
    I’m not sure if K9 can be an effective EDGE rusher.
    I’m positive he can be a ProBowl caliber ILB.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Although Murray is certainly more athletic, I compare him to Jarrad Davis in several aspects.

They were drafted in similar spots. Being often dinged up has not helped. Scheme fit is an ongoing issue. Coverage, diagnose questions remain.

I am just not as high on Murray as was ALynn, or apparently is ninja, BJolt. I want LBs who can both go sideline to sideline and mirror in coverage, hence the fascination with Nakobe.

My sense of the big picture for LAC moving forward is that I just do not want to wait very long for anyone to develop. Herb's career, contract clock is ticking. Cap space is an abstract concept.
      I’m very high on K9 and his future.
      K9 was my #9 overall prospect in 2020.
      I was more than happy when we selected him.
      He is barely 23yo, played in less than 25 games, dealing w/nagging injury, and scheme changes in each of his first 2 seasons.
      He averaged 8.5 tackles per game in his 2 healthy games this season which would average at over 140 tackles for the season.
      Does his information processing need to improve? Yes.

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He is barely 23yo, played in less than 25 games, dealing w/nagging injury, and scheme changes in each of his first 2 seasons.
        He averaged 8.5 tackles per game in his 2 healthy games this season which would average at over 140 tackles for the season.
        Hope you’re right but as of now he’s Larry English.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Ok. Only a fool would be dismissive towards ninja's takes.

I have to ask whether Murray is another one of these thoroughbreds who need everything to be just right to compete, as this does indeed happen sometimes

Frankly, this whole team has me shaking my head, as to this never ending "finesse" label we are stuck with.

I will root for K9 to help us give Cincy a first class shit kicking,
          ​​​​​​signalling the beginning of a march towards a playoff run.

As December is here now, is time for our young Chargers to flash greatness.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I just think he has the wrong skill set.

You go back to his college play, he is an aggressive, downhill LB who does his best work attacking the line. He can hit and shoot gaps in the running game and he was a good blitzing player.
            Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray finished the regular season with 95 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and four sacks. Check out the top plays from Murray's jun...

I watch his college highlights and just think, "are we going to let him do the things that let him make these plays" and I don't think we will. Staley is a read and react guy. Gus was a read and react guy. We line up the LB really deep in both D, and want them to go horizontally, not vertically.

You look at Murray's best games of his career, they are against teams that run the ball a lot, so all he has to do is focus on chasing the RB down, and he can afford to be more aggressive in attacking the line, because he isn't worried about getting caught out of place in coverage. If he was playing 10-15 or more years ago, Murray would have been ROY and one of the best young LB in football. But now, NFL Teams spend most of the game making LB chase WR. Which is fine, but spending a top draft pick for a player who won't be in a position to dominate, just seems silly. He will still always make his token plays when he gets turned loose. But we traded 2 quality draft picks to get a guy we will only turn loose now and again?

We either need to make a commitment to go to an attacking 34 (like the Ravens or TB), or trade Murray to a team who will. It's just a waste to keep him as a situational guy in our schemes. SOmeone like Tranquill can probably be expected to make similar level of production, even though, in the end I don't think he will be anywhere near the player Murray could be. Just in our D, we will never turn him loose to reach his full potential, even if he develops as a coverage and read/react player.

The one exception is if we can turn him into an edge player. He would have to learn to play DE. Then his value would be based on his skill as a pass rusher. We could really use a speed player to compliment Bosa.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I just think he has the wrong skill set.

You go back to his college play, he is an aggressive, downhill LB who does his best work attacking the line. He can hit and shoot gaps in the running game and he was a good blitzing player.
              Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray finished the regular season with 95 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and four sacks. Check out the top plays from Murray's jun...

I watch his college highlights and just think, "are we going to let him do the things that let him make these plays" and I don't think we will. Staley is a read and react guy. Gus was a read and react guy. We line up the LB really deep in both D, and want them to go horizontally, not vertically.

You look at Murray's best games of his career, they are against teams that run the ball a lot, so all he has to do is focus on chasing the RB down, and he can afford to be more aggressive in attacking the line, because he isn't worried about getting caught out of place in coverage. If he was playing 10-15 or more years ago, Murray would have been ROY and one of the best young LB in football. But now, NFL Teams spend most of the game making LB chase WR. Which is fine, but spending a top draft pick for a player who won't be in a position to dominate, just seems silly. He will still always make his token plays when he gets turned loose. But we traded 2 quality draft picks to get a guy we will only turn loose now and again?

We either need to make a commitment to go to an attacking 34 (like the Ravens or TB), or trade Murray to a team who will. It's just a waste to keep him as a situational guy in our schemes. SOmeone like Tranquill can probably be expected to make similar level of production, even though, in the end I don't think he will be anywhere near the player Murray could be. Just in our D, we will never turn him loose to reach his full potential, even if he develops as a coverage and read/react player.

The one exception is if we can turn him into an edge player. He would have to learn to play DE. Then his value would be based on his skill as a pass rusher. We could really use a speed player to compliment Bosa.
              I watched every snap, in detail multiple times, of his time at OU.
              I disagree w/your assessment of his skillset.
              I do agree w/ how he was used @OU.
              I agree that K9 needs to improve his information processing and coverage/route concepts recognition.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Ok. Only a fool would be dismissive towards ninja's takes.

I have to ask whether Murray is another one of these thoroughbreds who need everything to be just right to compete, as this does indeed happen sometimes

Frankly, this whole team has me shaking my head, as to this never ending "finesse" label we are stuck with.

I will root for K9 to help us give Cincy a first class shit kicking,
                ​​​​​​signalling the beginning of a march towards a playoff run.

As December is here now, is time for our young Chargers to flash greatness.
                I’m tried of always waiting till next year too. It fucking sucks!
                We are as close to a legitimate SB roster now more so than any other time in my 50 years as a Bolt fanatic.
                We absolutely need these young guys to excel quickly but 1-3 seasons is quickly.
                2022-??? Is our SB window. Let’s keep building.

P.S. The illusion of a rookie QB contract SB window is a farce.

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Although Murray is certainly more athletic, I compare him to Jarrad Davis in several aspects.

They were drafted in similar spots. Being often dinged up has not helped. Scheme fit is an ongoing issue. Coverage, diagnose questions remain.

I am just not as high on Murray as was ALynn, or apparently is ninja, BJolt. I want LBs who can both go sideline to sideline and mirror in coverage, hence the fascination with Nakobe.

My sense of the big picture for LAC moving forward is that I just do not want to wait very long for anyone to develop. Herb's career, contract clock is ticking. Cap space is an abstract concept.
                  Agree on that. Thats why trades either getting a player or trading away for picks is a bigger picture going forward. Trade Tillery for a draft pick. He isnt going to help us and in fact is a liability.

Make one of those cheap trades for a key guy for a low pick if we need a boost somewhere. Resign him later if he performs well. Just waiting for players to get cut is a crap shoot that one will be available that its for us. We have extra picks in low rounds, use one to trade up and get better talent since you didnt use one to acquire a vet to help on the DL or anywhere else.

Just want TT to be aggressive and want to get to a championship.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

I notice that week after week Murray is listed with an ankle problem. I wonder how much that ankle is affecting him? Is he well enough to play but not well enough to play well? I remember the great Junior Seau playing hurt and although he played with the same heart he always played with, he just wasn't as effective with one arm out of commission.

I liked K9 a bunch when he was in college and I was very happy TT moved up to get him. I must admit though that I'm starting to doubt my own ability to recognize a good LB. Down deep inside me, I still think K9 will have a good career, he has the right size and speed and a lot of ability.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I notice that week after week Murray is listed with an ankle problem. I wonder how much that ankle is affecting him? Is he well enough to play but not well enough to play well? I remember the great Junior Seau playing hurt and although he played with the same heart he always played with, he just wasn't as effective with one arm out of commission.

I liked K9 a bunch when he was in college and I was very happy TT moved up to get him. I must admit though that I'm starting to doubt my own ability to recognize a good LB. Down deep inside me, I still think K9 will have a good career, he has the right size and speed and a lot of ability.
                      Eye to eye Roo!

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I watched every snap, in detail multiple times, of his time at OU.
                        I disagree w/your assessment of his skillset.
                        I do agree w/ how he was used @OU.
                        I agree that K9 needs to improve his information processing and coverage/route concepts recognition.
                        I guess time will tell for Murray.

Most players who struggle to read and react when making the transition from college to the NFL will never develop the skill. Murray was a wait-and-see-it happen type of guy. However, it is not unheard of for players to learn to read and react decisively, and everyone can/does get better. However, some never get good enough. Time will tell.

The route thing is as much about learning the techniques as it is coverage and route concepts. It may also have to do with how well they learn off of studying film. A lot of good/great college players have gotten good at football by learning on the practice and playing fields. Then in the NFL, they are asked to do a lot of it off of film study and from studying the playbook, and that is just not something everyone does well. Some of those guys take longer to develop than others, especially in these Covid days, when practice time was limited for them early in their careers.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

I’m tried of always waiting till next year too. It fucking sucks!
                          We are as close to a legitimate SB roster now more so than any other time in my 50 years as a Bolt fanatic.
                          We absolutely need these young guys to excel quickly but 1-3 seasons is quickly.
                          2022-??? Is our SB window. Let’s keep building.

P.S. The illusion of a rookie QB contract SB window is a farce.
                          Are you kidding? We had much more complete rosters in 79, 80 and 2006 just for starters. Those teams we’re loaded comparatively

Comment

Working...
                          X