Kenneth Murray Is Not Playing Much...WHY?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If healthy, Schwartz sure would be an upgrade over Norton...he had back issues last season and surgery in February...don't want another habitually damaged goods player like Bulaga, though...
    Who cares if he is healthy; sounds like a Tom Telesco coupon discount dream.

Schwartz will be the starting RT opening game next year:beer:

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Who cares if he is healthy; sounds like a Tom Telesco coupon discount dream.

Schwartz will be the starting RT opening game next year:beer:
      Well, if that's true, TT better sign a better backup than Norton...

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, if that's true, TT better sign a better backup than Norton...
        Ahem, Pip! Still in his rookie contract.....cheap!

:anchorjump:

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          K9 with a healthy ankle is still slow to diagnose. At EDGE, he might be able to save his career.

I am done patiently waiting for our draftees to develop, when we ought to recognize that they were misses or non fits for new regimes.

What is especially pissing me off right now is Kelley and Rountree. We have a screaming need for RB#2. Herb and Oline are who I have in mind.

Lack of offensive balance is exactly why savvy defensive minded coaches shut us down, NOT Lombardi's play calling.

Sorry for meandering off topic, but K9 is yet another draft/player development fail.
          So our all-time leader in tackles for a rookie, injured 2nd year/1st round player, in his 3rd defense scheme in as many years….this is the dude we are giving up on after 22ish games played?
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Rookie contract or not, he sux. We can just cut him and cut our loses.....or you could can it a gain not being on the roster.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

So our all-time leader in tackles for a rookie, injured 2nd year/1st round player, in his 3rd defense scheme in as many years….this is the dude we are giving up on after 22ish games played?
              I want to see him at EDGE.
              Even with those "gaudy" stats.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I want to see him at EDGE.
                Even with those "gaudy" stats.
                He will get his looks but he isn't Micah Parsons.
                Parsons was a DE converted to LB and what an athlete he is excelling at both.
                I just want to see Murray make plays when his ankle is ready.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Although Murray is certainly more athletic, I compare him to Jarrad Davis in several aspects.

They were drafted in similar spots. Being often dinged up has not helped. Scheme fit is an ongoing issue. Coverage, diagnose questions remain.

I am just not as high on Murray as was ALynn, or apparently is ninja, BJolt. I want LBs who can both go sideline to sideline and mirror in coverage, hence the fascination with Nakobe.

My sense of the big picture for LAC moving forward is that I just do not want to wait very long for anyone to develop. Herb's career, contract clock is ticking. Cap space is an abstract concept.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Micah Parsons has been great for Dallas. I’d love it if Murray could make even a fraction of that impact
                    Micah is 6-3 248 and Kenneth is 6-2 241......so based on these measurables he can fit that role. Parsons difference is his speed.....that dude is lightning quick.......

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Pip can't find water falling out of a boat. Hell, I'll sign for cheaper than Pip and be about as effective.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Parsons was used very sparingly as an edge blitzer in college, although he had played DE in HS.

Murray was used extensively in the Oklahoma blitz package coming off the edge. Not the same as pass-rushing vs OL and setting the edge, but he has shown the explosiveness part, and the ability to move and redirect his angle to adjust to the QB on the move.

Murray is not as fast as Parsons, but that is only one aspect of being a pass rusher, and Murray is more than fast enough. But again, it is only one part.

Remember, we have had several pass rushers who were extremely fast, but never did anything. Antwan Barnes was the fastest pass rusher in his day but only started to develop with us when he kinda added a second move. Harris (can't remember his 1st name) was the 3rd/4th OLB in the rotation with Merriman, Phillips and Tucker. Guy had 4.5 flat speed and came around the edge like a missile ... right around the OT .... and well past the QB taking himself right out of the play ... play after play. It was better than nothing, but not much.

Vernon Ghoulson (former 1st round pick for the Jets, 6th overall), elite speed and could fly past OT, but couldn't take on blocks ... redirect ... dip his shoulder ... no second move ... never did anything with the Jets and is one of the biggest busts in NFL history (zero career sacks with 3 teams in 5 seasons).

The point is even Storm Norton can stop speed if that is all you have. Give a backup OT (using Storm Norton as the example here, but sub in most backups) where he doesn't know if the rusher is going to bring the 2nd move and the job got 10x harder for the OT.

Parsons has great speed and it is what makes him successful as a rusher, but if that is all you have, even backup OL will stop that. It doesn't even have to be a great 2nd move. Von Miller only had a simple speed-to-power move for his 1st season or season and a half. You just need to sell the 1st move enough to get the unathletic guy to set his feet, or get him chasing the edge, then use the move from the fake

Murray is getting chances to play because he is a former 1st round pick, but his game has holes and he has been around enough he needs to start getting better fast. I think right now, the big issue is that it is probably an injury, but when Tranquill and White are the better players, it is going to start being hard to keep them on the bench.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Thanks for the detail Steve !
                          It seems that we are just scattered,
                          transitioning from all those years
                          in Bradley defense
                          to our first year with Staley.
                          Gotta keep competing.
                          ​​​​Go Chargers !