• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

New Orleans has 15 players (including both QBs) plus 3 coaches out with COVID. Ian Book is making his first career start and they sign Blake Bortles a couple of days ago to back him up. Not looking good for a Dolphin loss tonight.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

If the Dolphins win tonight, the Chargers are 7th with their SOS !

Comment

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        If the Dolphins win tonight, the Chargers are 7th with their SOS !
        I do not believe that what you have said is accurate.

A Dolphins win produces a 4 way tie (Chargers, Raiders, Ravens, Dolphins).

The division tie breaker is used to eliminate the Raiders based upon our head-to-head victory against them.

Conference record is then used to eliminate the Ravens (5-6 versus 5-5 for us and the Dolphins).

Then, with no head-to-head games and an equal conference record, the Dolphins have the tie breaker based upon having a better record in common games with a minimum of four (NE, LV, BAL, HOU, NYG) where they are 4-1 versus us being 2-3 as they beat NE, BAL and HOU, to whom we lost.

That is why simulators, such as ESPN's NFL Playoff Machine, move the Dolphins to the #7 slot with a win tonight.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

All these scenarios dont mean shit unless we win our games. I dont have confidence in that and 1 more loss, its likely over.

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            New Orleans has 15 players (including both QBs) plus 3 coaches out with COVID. Ian Book is making his first career start and they sign Blake Bortles a couple of days ago to back him up. Not looking good for a Dolphin loss tonight.
            Clearly, NO having COVID woes does not help. But MIA has kept several lesser opponents within one score. Their offense is not explosive. And call me crazy, but I kind of like Book's fit with Payton's "Hill" offense.

I think the Dolphins are more likely to win, but the Saints have a legitimate chance even with the COVID issues, especially if the game is a low scoring game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              All these scenarios dont mean shit unless we win our games. I dont have confidence in that and 1 more loss, its likely over.
              this is the biggest point of all

if the chargers don't show up this sunday, all of the rest is meaningless

Comment

And there are scenarios where we can get in with a 9-8 record, but those require the Ravens and Dolphins to lose two more games, which is far from impossible as both teams have nothing but .500 or better opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

this is the biggest point of all

if the chargers don't show up this sunday, all of the rest is meaningless
                  If we lose to Denver, we can still get in at 9-8 if we beat LV and all of this happens:

1. BAL loses to LAR and @PIT.
                  2. MIA loses 2 of @NO, @TEN, NE.
                  3. PIT loses to CLE or CIN loses to KC and @CLE.
                  4. DEN loses to KC (who could be resting players if TEN loses either of its remaining games, but needs to win out to hold the #1 seed if TEN wins out against MIA and @HOU).

In this scenario, BAL, MIA and DEN all would have at least 9 losses and PIT would either have an 8-8-1 record or would win the AFCN with a 9-7-1 record. Even if LV beat IND this week, they would be tied with us, but we would have the tie breaker with 2 head-to-head wins against them. And we would have the tie breaker against an 8 loss CIN team due to our head-to-head win against them.

And while the string of games all together is against the odds, none of the individual game results needed are crazy results.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If we lose to Denver, we can still get in at 9-8 if we beat LV and all of this happens:

1. BAL loses to LAR and @PIT.
                    2. MIA loses 2 of @NO, @TEN, NE.
                    3. PIT loses to CLE or CIN loses to KC and @CLE.
                    4. DEN loses to KC (who could be resting players if TEN loses either of its remaining games, but needs to win out to hold the #1 seed if TEN wins out against MIA and @HOU).

In this scenario, BAL, MIA and DEN all would have at least 9 losses and PIT would either have an 8-8-1 record or would win the AFCN with a 9-7-1 record. Even if LV beat IND this week, they would be tied with us, but we would have the tie breaker with 2 head-to-head wins against them. And we would have the tie breaker against an 8 loss CIN team due to our head-to-head win against them.

And while the string of games all together is against the odds, none of the individual game results needed are crazy results.
                    I would prefer the Chargers just win the last two games and hopefully the Fish and Ravens lose one and call it good

But yes, this was kind of the scenario that I started to map out to make the playoffs at 9-8.

Chargers just need to win Sunday. And by kickoff, things will be very clear for them

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

This. And really, do the playoffs sound THAT attractive to anyone/everyone right now? This team is still on course for what I feel they're capable of: 9/10 wins. But not the way they played - did they even show up? - yesterday. Honestly, this is a middle-of-the-pack team. Certainly not a serious contender even if they do back into the playoffs.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

This. And really, do the playoffs sound THAT attractive to anyone/everyone right now? This team is still on course for what I feel they're capable of: 9/10 wins. But not the way they played - did they even show up? - yesterday. Honestly, this is a middle-of-the-pack team. Certainly not a serious contender even if they do back into the playoffs.
                        I think the dolfish would beat the bolts right now. that D will befuddle Herbert and the OC and 2-uh will dink and dunk to death as a game manager.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

We get players back in the lineup, starters not street signings, yeah, any given Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                          X