X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

This. And really, do the playoffs sound THAT attractive to anyone/everyone right now? This team is still on course for what I feel they're capable of: 9/10 wins. But not the way they played - did they even show up? - yesterday. Honestly, this is a middle-of-the-pack team. Certainly not a serious contender even if they do back into the playoffs.
    I completely disagree with the notion that we would somehow be a lesser team than other playoff teams if we were to qualify.

There is no 1985 Bears or 1994 49ers in the NFL this year.

Have you looked at which teams would get in if we qualify? BAL likely will not be there if we are.

I like our chances very much against NE, IND, KC, CIN and TEN. I would expect us to beat any of those teams--67% chance we win because we are clearly better than those teams. I think we are 50/50 against BUF.

Our biggest problem is that we are inconsistent, playing really bad games about 25% of the time. We will not win it all unless we can shake that trend. But when we play well, we are just better than most of the other playoff teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I think the dolfish would beat the bolts right now. that D will befuddle Herbert and the OC and 2-uh will dink and dunk to death as a game manager.
      The Dolphins and Tua suck. They are not making the playoffs. TEN or NE will get them to at least losses and 9 is more likely.

We would have beaten them easier last year if Lynn did not attempt to live vicariously through our 5th string RB in that game in the worst game plan of the season last year, which is saying something since we are talking about Lynn.

Herbert would shred this year's version of the Dolphin defense.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

We have now have 18 players and 4 practice squad players on the COVID list. I see us getting smoked by Denver if a lot of them don't come back. And that will suck beyond belief.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          We have now have 18 players and 4 practice squad players on the COVID list. I see us getting smoked by Denver if a lot of them don't come back. And that will suck beyond belief.
          I think we will get Bosa back. Not sure who else but maybe Derwin can play since he sat out Sundays game.

Idk who has been vaxxed or not beside MW which determines who can be back sooner

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I completely disagree with the notion that we would somehow be a lesser team than other playoff teams if we were to qualify.

There is no 1985 Bears or 1994 49ers in the NFL this year.

Have you looked at which teams would get in if we qualify? BAL likely will not be there if we are.

I like our chances very much against NE, IND, KC, CIN and TEN. I would expect us to beat any of those teams--67% chance we win because we are clearly better than those teams. I think we are 50/50 against BUF.

Our biggest problem is that we are inconsistent, playing really bad games about 25% of the time. We will not win it all unless we can shake that trend. But when we play well, we are just better than most of the other playoff teams.
            All 5 of those teams - particularly KC and IND, and probably NE and BUF - would embarrass the Chargers in a playoff game. I admire the optimism, but let's be real here: We just lost to the TEXANS. We beat CINCY, true; and TENN without Henry is less then they could be. But I'd be willing to bet that we'd be underdog - and deservedly so - against all of those teams. And I, for one, would not be all that disappointed if we aren't blown away on National TV.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

At full strength I think we can beat anybody but missing any amount of starters to Covid and injuries, we clearly have the worst depth.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Herbert has to play well.

Texans was a winnable game and Herbert did not play well.

Broncos have a much better defense than Texans.

This team will generally go as Herbert goes.

When Justin passer rating hits triple digits of 100 or better they are 7-0, when his passer rating is single digits, they are 1-7.

You can also look at QBR and when it's over 58 they are 7-0 and when it's under 58 they are 1-7.

There are other reasons for Herbert having bad days such as protection issues.

But they didn't have protection issues vs Texans. Herbert just didn't have a great day. The Palmer throw was the eyesore as he was super late with the decision and behind on the throw. The announcer mentioned it at the time. And after the game Staley said about the play that they liked the look but the throw was late and inside. Basically that interception was 100% bad execution by the QB. It happens, human error. It also impacted the scoreboard and momentum.

If Herbert can hit the magic 100 passer rating next two games. Odds are the Chargers win both.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  I've been saying this over and over in the Other Games thread. There are only four things that need to happen for the Chargers to make the playoffs, and all of them are very likely IMO.

1. Chargers beat the Broncos next week and the Raiders in Week 18.

2. The Rams beat the Ravens next week.

3. The Dolphins lose just one of their final three games against @Saints Mon nite, @Titans next week or v. the Titans in Week 18. They only need to lose one of these three games.

I see this as a very plausible and likely scenario.
                  if that is accurate, then we have a shot..... Chargers winning the remaining 2 games is very doable but as inconsistently as we have played is less likely than the ravens and dolphins losing which seem very likely.........

if Chargers beat DEN and raiders win, then does last game become a playoff game for both chargers and raiders?.... just asking if raiders will be out, or have a shot at moving up to 7th place by beating the chargers?

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    Herbert has to play well.

Texans was a winnable game and Herbert did not play well.

Broncos have a much better defense than Texans.

This team will generally go as Herbert goes.

When Justin passer rating hits triple digits of 100 or better they are 7-0, when his passer rating is single digits, they are 1-7.

You can also look at QBR and when it's over 58 they are 7-0 and when it's under 58 they are 1-7.

There are other reasons for Herbert having bad days such as protection issues.

But they didn't have protection issues vs Texans. Herbert just didn't have a great day. The Palmer throw was the eyesore as he was super late with the decision and behind on the throw. The announcer mentioned it at the time. And after the game Staley said about the play that they liked the look but the throw was late and inside. Basically that interception was 100% bad execution by the QB. It happens, human error. It also impacted the scoreboard and momentum.

If Herbert can hit the magic 100 passer rating next two games. Odds are the Chargers win both.
                    The simple explanation is when we play really bad defenses and our offense lights them up we win close high scoring games(herrbie hits over 100 in those games)..... because our defense cannot consistently stop ANYONE..... we make a play here or there but nothing consistent....we have to win shootouts....

When we play tough defenses coached by smart older vet HC/DC's...... our offense struggles.......and we lose...... and because our defense still cant stop anyone, embarrassingly so.....

and you can argue Texans are not a great defense but defense is the best part of their team.... their offense rarely scores on other teams...... but Chargers not great defense(made much worse due to injuries and covid) cured that.....

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      LA Rams have what like 2?Just dumb luck I guess lol.Cough cough bullshit cough.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

LA Rams have what like 2?Just dumb luck I guess lol.Cough cough bullshit cough.
                        The 49ers have nobody on the list presently. The Rams have 3. With how contagious Omicron is, it only takes one person to infect the entire team.

Read that 25% of the players in the league have had COVID since December 13.
                        Last edited by richpjr; 12-28-2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Guess the LA rams are just lucky and the LA chargers aint.Im sure thats it.

Comment

Working...
                          X