Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 18)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Go_Herbo View Post
    I do believe that the Raiders would have run the clock out......Game wise, it was the safest thing to do... a blocked field goal could have resulted in a Chargers TD. Why take the risk in a meaningless situation........ but the Timeout by Staley gave them time to think about it... the fans, Madden perhaps, or just pissed that Staley would mess with them.
    That was my feeling. Raiders weren' t going to run another run play unlike what Staley claims. There was 1:20 left on the clock and they had just run 2nd down . 3rd and 4 and they were sitting there running 45 sec off. They could have run another run and just run the clock out 1st down or not.

Then Staley called the timeout which shocked everyone, announcers and all.

On NFL gametime, Biasacci and Carr after the game admitted they wanted to run out the clock. They must have then thought Staley wanted to call time out to screw w them somehow. So they decided to screw us. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 01-10-2022, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• BT3241
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2020
      • Send PM

When they fumbled the ball on the kick off I turned the game off and knew they would loose. Saved a lot of frustration.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

I'm thinking Raiders run out the clock.
        No brainer.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah I don't buy it don't buy it. If that was the case then why even attempt the last second field goal? They were already assured the playoff spot and the only thing that could happen would be a blocked field goal run back for a touchdown to keep them out of the playoffs.

Comment

• Canal Zone Bolt Fan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Indianapolis, IN
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The guys we had out there likely would have done just as well, or badly at stopping the run..... no need to call TO...... if we had beed able to stuff that run, the raiders would have run out the clock and punted chargers inside 20 instead of risking a missed or blocked 55+ FG..... Had they done that Chargers would have kneeled on ball and taken the tie and a playoff berth.....rather than risk a pick or fumble....oir safety, etc... ... calling TO made it so raiders possibly could not run out clock, if Chargers had stuffed the run.....
            This

Thanks for more stupidity Staley

Comment

• Canal Zone Bolt Fan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Indianapolis, IN
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              Yeah I don't buy it don't buy it. If that was the case then why even attempt the last second field goal? They were already assured the playoff spot and the only thing that could happen would be a blocked field goal run back for a touchdown to keep them out of the playoffs.
              Because it wouldn’t have mattered if they missed FG or not with 2 seconds left. By that time they are probably like, “fuck you for trying to screw with us”. Staley should have let the clock run down and left his run defense in.

Comment

• LondonCharger21
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2022
                • Send PM

Hello everyone!
                My first post on here so a very quick intro.
                I’m a British Chargers fan in London, England. My first game was the Chargers/Saints at Wembley in 2008.
                I have stayed up to the early hours of the morning for more prime time games than I can remember.

Last nights game finished at approx 5:40am here in the U.K. but the drama kept me awake. I’ll admit I did contemplate hitting the sack at 29-14 with 6mins of regulation remaining.

Looking back at the game after a few hours kip small
                there was so much that just didn’t go our way unfortunately. Starting with the fumble on the first Raiders drive which could easily have gone through the end zone, then the stripsack fumble falling back into Raider hands. Throw in some questionable and some absolute bullcrap calls and it’s a minor miracle we got to the point we did in the game.

Don’t get me wrong we didn’t help ourselves at times…
                but as a team and an organisation progress is the most important thing so after the last two years of absolute dross we can say for sure there has been improvement.

Solidify the right side of that O-Line, improve the LB and secondary in the off-season and we may see more progress and more record setting from #10 next year.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  I don’t buy it either. As a Charger fan, I know deep in my heart they would have made a 60 yard fg to win if it had come to that.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

Staley is like Luke Skywalker before he went to Dagobah. All the potential in the world, but reckless and rash.

I still like him, but the last few games have made it clear that he needs experienced coordinators around him until he matures. I hope he's not as stubborn as Marty was or he's not going to survive next season.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                      Staley is like Luke Skywalker before he went to Dagobah. All the potential in the world, but reckless and rash.

I still like him, but the last few games have made it clear that he needs experienced coordinators around him until he matures. I hope he's not as stubborn as Marty was or he's not going to survive next season.
                      OK Staley is not getting fired. Since he's not we need to add the sort of players that roll like this with ice water in their veins. Period. We need to build a D that can stop the run. Period. We need to add a RB that hits the hole like a sledgehammer. I get what Staley is doing but we need these sort of players to make this work. We need a few star players as well. Congrats to the Raiders for making the PO's.

We really lost the game because we couldn't stop the run, we would of lost in the PO's as well. Not being able to stop the run will be a loss in these sort of games 9 times out of 10. Think what Marshall Faulk added to the greatest show on turf we need the same, Austin Ek could probably go down as one of the greatest 3rd down running backs of all time if we just used him more like we did Ronnie Harmon, however we feature him and we lose the big games. We need that to change too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Holy Shit
                        OMFG
                        that was a hell of a game, bummer finish but wow
                        Herbert is King
                        I still believe in Staley
                        Defense needs more players. If they simply tackle as well as other teams (e.g. Raiders), they would have won
                        - related - i don’t think coaches can teach much tackling in pros now do to CBA
                        Norton should have been tapped out for Pip, see what happened
                        who cares about the rest now … I’m bummed but not sad.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Canal Zone Bolt Fan View Post

Because it wouldn’t have mattered if they missed FG or not with 2 seconds left. By that time they are probably like, “fuck you for trying to screw with us”. Staley should have let the clock run down and left his run defense in.
                          If the field goal gets blocked and run back for a touchdown they are out of the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                          X