Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 18)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by LondonCharger21 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    My first post on here so a very quick intro.
    I’m a British Chargers fan in London, England. My first game was the Chargers/Saints at Wembley in 2008.
    I have stayed up to the early hours of the morning for more prime time games than I can remember.
    Welcome!

Comment

• KrazyLegs
      Registered Dude
      • Sep 2018
      • Westminster, MA
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

those are facts..... refs were trying to screw chargers....

MW was being held very obviously on Herbert's pick.......

horrible spots multiple times in game .... that were obviously wrong to any fan watching the game.....

NFL also wanted Steelers in playoffs over Chargers.....raiders and steelers have far more fans and far more ratings = $$$$$.......

the raiders also ruffed up Herbert many times but zero calls.....
      I would also say that "illegal downfield" flag was a ref looking to make a call. Fieler may have technically been out of the 3-yard box, but it didn't look like he blocking when the ball was thrown and he had ZERO impact on the play. It's not like he was 10-15 yards downfield knocking dudes down.

It's like 3 seconds in basketball. Refs rarely call it strictly. It's a rule to prevent guys from camping out in the lane.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

The timeout was with 4 seconds left on the play clock and the Raiders were about to snap the ball to run a play out of shotgun on 3rd and 4. The Charger defense looked confused and a couple players were pointing to each other. Staley called the timeout in order to make sure the defense was ready for the 3rd down play because it was important to stop the Raiders there at the 39 yard line. Unfortunately, on the next play the busted a run for 10 yards setting up a more manageable field goal.

The Raiders were not planning on taking a knee before the timeout, and it did not alter anything time wise. People saying this was a game changer either are misguided, reaching, or ignorant as to what occurred.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
          The timeout was with 4 seconds left on the play clock and the Raiders were about to snap the ball to run a play out of shotgun on 3rd and 4. The Charger defense looked confused and a couple players were pointing to each other. Staley called the timeout in order to make sure the defense was ready for the 3rd down play because it was important to stop the Raiders there at the 39 yard line. Unfortunately, on the next play the busted a run for 10 yards setting up a more manageable field goal.

The Raiders were not planning on taking a knee before the timeout, and it did not alter anything time wise. People saying this was a game changer either are misguided, reaching, or ignorant as to what occurred.
          I believe they were going to try a field goal regardless, and that kicker has never missed there. Don't let all the gibberish from the raiders influence anything... They would have run the ball until there was a few seconds on the clock and called a time out and attempted a FG, probably.

Comment

• KrazyLegs
            Registered Dude
            • Sep 2018
            • Westminster, MA
            • Send PM

Looks like going for it on 4th and 1 at the 18 was the right call from an analytics side of things. Now the actual play that Lombardi called...that's another story.

Comment

• Hard Charger
              Chargers fan since 1977!
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
              Looks like going for it on 4th and 1 at the 18 was the right call from an analytics side of things. Now the actual play that Lombardi called...that's another story.

https://twitter.com/ben_bot_baldwin/...79542770524165
              I would like to see Lombardi replaced!

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post

https://twitter.com/ben_bot_baldwin/...79542770524165
                Yeah, in a game where we weren't dominating the LOS, running into the line wasn't the right call there. Gimme the Herbert roll out there where he can throw it or run it.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I believe they were going to try a field goal regardless, and that kicker has never missed there. Don't let all the gibberish from the raiders influence anything... They would have run the ball until there was a few seconds on the clock and called a time out and attempted a FG, probably.
                  We'd already shown we were going to let them go for the tie. If they wanted a tie they should have come out in the victory formation and taken a knee. Even if we stop the clock, we're getting it back after the punt inside our own 20 with less than 30 seconds and no timeouts. At which point we just run the ball once or take a knee. We weren't trying to win. We were trying to tie. Which was the right call.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

^This. The spin about the TO is kind of funny. The harsh reality is he called the timeout to get the "right" defenders in the game and we still gave up a big run.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It would have been nice when we had the ball on the Raiders side of the field if we could have run some more clock.

Comment

• SK21209
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2020
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

Once they got a couple of first downs the Raiders were never going to settle for a tie, thus sending them to Arrowhead to play a Chiefs team that beat them by 30 twice this season, when they could try for a field goal and play the Bengals instead (who they can definitely beat, although I'm favoring the Bengals in that one). We lost the game when we let them score right before halftime, we should have been up two scores at halftime if not for all the mistakes.

Comment

• LarryAW
                          Chargers fan since 1970
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Chula Vista, CA
                          • retired paralegal/court reporter
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Chargers deserved to lose the moment Staley went for it on his own 18 yard line, down by 4 points.
                          It made some of Lynn's decisions seem brilliant. Defense bailed him out on that one.

Maybe the worst coaching decisions i have ever experienced.....open to suggestions for worse options.

Staley never realized that his aggressive style caught the league by surprise; but after awhile, teams prepared for and expected it.
                          Risk/Reward seems to not be a consideration. Been a Chargers fan since I came to San Diego in the Navy in 1970. One of the worse decisions I've seen in a half-century (YIKES). I didn't like the ball not being in Herbert's hands once they did decide to go for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X