Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Air Coryell
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2021
    • Carlsbad, CA
    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
    • Send PM

[QUOTE=richpjr;n1477506]

" yes it would create $39 million in dead cap space"

You realize that our available cap for 2024 is reduced by $39M for players not on the roster. Having a high dead cap space number is essentially an "F" grade for the GM.

$39M is equal to 4-5 quality starters. Spanos and TT.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Air Coryell;n1477753]
      Originally posted by richpjr View Post

" yes it would create $39 million in dead cap space"

You realize that our available cap for 2024 is reduced by $39M for players not on the roster. Having a high dead cap space number is essentially an "F" grade for the GM.

$39M is equal to 4-5 quality starters. Spanos and TT.
      I think you are missing my point. Of course that would suck - but it wouldn't be devastating. It is pretty funny to listen to the board now that we actually have done this the past two years after all the whining about us not doing it for so many years.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

What’s not funny is letting players who’ve worked hard to develop in system to walk in free agency in their prime. Just last three years, Hunter Henry (Patriots) Uchenna Nwosu (Seahawks) Kyzir White (Eagles) now Dru Tranguill (Chiefs).

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

That does stink. But it is the norm for good teams with good rosters. Kyzir who played very well for Eagles already left them. Henry has not set the world on fire in New England. Chena looks to be developing into a nice player but Mack was a step up (albeit he has more miles on him) and Kendricks is a far better player than Tranquil who is ascending but has an injury history and turned down (reportedly) a better deal with Chargers than he got with Chiefs to be a one year backup. But if we want our team to be successful we have to get used to not being able to keep all the players, even those that the Chargers developed into really good ones.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

problem is the FUdean nepotism runs that shiit show. TT MIGHT BE a good talent evaluator but gets overruled by the unqualified pos in the front office.
            Where are you getting that “fact” that john Jr is ovrerulling every pick TT tries to make? I read the charge every now and then here, does anyone have anything to support the claim besides “uhhhh FUDean”?

The bigger failure signal might be the #draft picks cut before their cheap rookie deals are even done?

image.jpg
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It was never going to happen because our coach and GM are in desperation mode. They're running it back for '23 because neither of them have the balls to do the right thing for the team long term. They're only interested in saving their jobs for 1 more year. I believe that Allen (if healthy) will be productive, but there's no way he will play up to his salary. Bosa I would have moved while he has (at least) a little value. They better draft edge (high) this year and next year - and they better not miss.
              thats a take, ORRRR … they know the team is much closer to win-now than rebuild and they are trying to actually win something here. I agree with their go-for-2023 strategy, personally. Fuck 2025 … go for it now. If all or most of the key players hurt last year play most of 2023, we’re going to see a different (better) team, so who knows?

——-

Allen could have another 100 RECs/1000 yards. Hoping that if he doesn’t, it’s because TT added some weapons to take some of the load. Slayer is a first down machine, very valuable. He’s been under appreciated since his early years, i still remember a crotchety old poster at UT arguing he was a WR2 JAG while he was Top5 in all WR stats.

Bosa - i agree - we need to see something more from him beyond complaining about how much he is held. And he has to come back 2023 as a mature savvy player, not a stupid jackoff hothead who puts himself ahead of team. All edge rushers are held, STFU and go beat the fucking block.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It was never going to happen because our coach and GM are in desperation mode. They're running it back for '23 because neither of them have the balls to do the right thing for the team long term. They're only interested in saving their jobs for 1 more year. I believe that Allen (if healthy) will be productive, but there's no way he will play up to his salary. Bosa I would have moved while he has (at least) a little value. They better draft edge (high) this year and next year - and they better not miss.
                EXACTLY X10000000!!!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

thats a take, ORRRR … they know the team is much closer to win-now than rebuild and they are trying to actually win something here. I agree with their go-for-2023 strategy, personally. Fuck 2025 … go for it now. If all or most of the key players hurt last year play most of 2023, we’re going to see a different (better) team, so who knows?

——-

Allen could have another 100 RECs/1000 yards. Hoping that if he doesn’t, it’s because TT added some weapons to take some of the load. Slayer is a first down machine, very valuable. He’s been under appreciated since his early years, i still remember a crotchety old poster at UT arguing he was a WR2 JAG while he was Top5 in all WR stats.

Bosa - i agree - we need to see something more from him beyond complaining about how much he is held. And he has to come back 2023 as a mature savvy player, not a stupid jackoff hothead who puts himself ahead of team. All edge rushers are held, STFU and go beat the fucking block.
                  this is the key - can Telesco add a better RB and WR to help Allen out

Like having Ekeler get 107 catches isn't good for the offense; Allen getting 100 for 1000 might not be good for the offense. The offense needs explosive play maker on the outside. And if Telesco finally adds that WR with speed -just think how much that will help Allen and Williams underneath and intermediate

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Where are you getting that “fact” that john Jr is ovrerulling every pick TT tries to make? I read the charge every now and then here, does anyone have anything to support the claim besides “uhhhh FUDean”?

The bigger failure signal might be the #draft picks cut before their cheap rookie deals are even done?

image.jpg
                    Wow, that's one long, sad list of mostly busts, with a few good players we failed to extend...another reason to dump TT...

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                      FUdean
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

image.jpg
                      No facts. Just opinion. Like most of us ever have.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

——-

I agree with the bolded, I just wish we could 'hitch our wagon' to a better and healthier group.

We all want TT to 'add weapons', but it seems that these weapons will be added through the draft and not through FA. Outside of RB it's iffy that any of our rookie 'weapons' will be able to contribute next year like a veteran would, so I'm not sure how much value they will add to the offense (in '23). I think our best 'weapon' may be the OC upgrade, combined with better health and improvement on Herbert's part.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          What’s not funny is letting players who’ve worked hard to develop in system to walk in free agency in their prime. Just last three years, Hunter Henry (Patriots) Uchenna Nwosu (Seahawks) Kyzir White (Eagles) now Dru Tranguill (Chiefs).
                          The players who the team let go were going to demand more money than management is willing to pay them. Dru Tranquill being the exception, who you mentioned. And it's not like the organization doesn't bring players back. People only wanna point out the players who the team let go, but don't say anything about the players who the team decided to keep around.

Comment

Working...
                          X