• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

There was a good compilation of why FA doesn’t work out that I posted somewhere on this site. But the quick point is that it’s very rare because teams usually don’t let their key guys go unless they’re not that good or too old/injury prone. Even if you take our relative success last offseason with the OL, it’s more of a short term fix. We should still be involved in FA. But we need to make sure we get the right guys, which is difficult. There’s not enough Casey Haywards and too many Orlando Franklins and Travis Benjamins in FA.
    There’s a lot of guys in the 28-29 or lower age range, depending on position, I would be ecstatic to sign to 3-4 year deals, it would improve the team tremendously and free up what we can do in the draft. As these deals end, we should have a good idea who we’ve already got to step in and possibly upgrade the spot, depending on how lucky we were with draft picks, lol. This is a reasonable curve to make a competitive team, we’re behind in it currently, this off-season along with last season’s would go a long ways to correct that. Also with Herbert, LAC is a very attractive spot to land, a couple key FA pickups and this division is ours (or so they tell me, look what KC did, just do it better and with the players out there available and our cap space, we can).

Just upgrade a couple spots like we did with the OL last season, huge dividends.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

There’s a lot of guys in the 28-29 or lower age range, depending on position, I would be ecstatic to sign to 3-4 year deals, it would improve the team tremendously and free up what we can do in the draft. As these deals end, we should have a good idea who we’ve already got to step in and possibly upgrade the spot, depending on how lucky we were with draft picks, lol. This is a reasonable curve to make a competitive team, we’re behind in it currently, this off-season along with last season’s would go a long ways to correct that. Also with Herbert, LAC is a very attractive spot to land, a couple key FA pickups and this division is ours (or so they tell me, look what KC did, just do it better and with the players out there available and our cap space, we can).

Just upgrade a couple spots like we did with the OL last season, huge dividends.
      Thats who I want to see Telesco target - that age range right there. Even Ertz and Tyrann are borderline

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Is The Athletic worth subscribing to?
        It is for me. Sometimes there’s some good deals if you want to save some money. I also try to post the entire articles on here when I have time. At least anything Chargers related.

Here’s the thing though. I actually enjoy a lot of the other NFL writers as well so I’ll read those just as much as Charger related articles. It gives you an overall perspective on the league as a whole. For example, all the wonderful breakdown of using analytics and going for it on 4th downs. Staley wasn’t the first HC to do it so heavily this year.

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think it is. The Chargers reporter Popper does an excellent job and far exceeds what the writers at the UnionTrib use to provide.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

They sometimes have a deal going on - 12 months for 12 bucks or half off the normal price

My price is going up to 72 for the year - they sent an e-mail

But I think its worth it. As other have said, its just not Popper - but all sports; or other teams. When Rivers went to Indy I followed Stephen Holder, he is good; Tim Graham with the Bills is also good (knew him from the ESPN AFCE Blogger days). Jourdan Rodrique - covers the Rams - very good. Thats just football

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Robert Mays.
              Dane Brugler's "Beast" draft guide.
              Daniel Popper does a superb job re LAC.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                Robert Mays.
                Dane Brugler's "Beast" draft guide.
                Daniel Popper does a superb job re LAC.
                Ted Nguyen!

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

It is, if you want to access to professional, knowledgeable sports journalism and information, and are tired of all the often clueless amateurs who right for the fan publications such as fansided and bleacher report. The New York Times is buying the Athletic, which is going to help ensure the writing and reporting remains top notch.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

The Athletic is very worth the money if you enjoy reading informed articles every day.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats who I want to see Telesco target - that age range right there. Even Ertz and Tyrann are borderline
                      Chief fans were talking about Mathieu losing a step and not being the player he was two years ago.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Chief fans were talking about Mathieu losing a step and not being the player he was two years ago.
                        Neither was Mahomes.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

For the right money…

Comment

Working...
                          X