Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He was available before this past season. Could have used him.
    That is a fact.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Tom Telesco: I support Brandon Staley 100 percent, we’re both big believers in using data

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 21, 2022, 4:56 AM EST

Chargers coach Brandon Staley gained a reputation as perhaps the most analytics-driven coach in the NFL during the 2021 season, and when the Chargers fell short of the playoffs, Staley's approach drew plenty of criticism.

“I support him 100 percent,” Telesco said of Staley. “I’m a big believer in using data to make decisions, as is he. It doesn’t mean that there isn’t context involved in that — I mean, we’re not robots — but we’re trying to put our players in a position of strength, in a position of advantage, as much as we can. I love the identity that we play with. I know, on the outside, that not everyone may agree with how we play, but it’s who we are and I love it. That’s what we are and that’s the way that we’re going to play moving forward. You know what you get with us; we’re going to play aggressive — it’s not reckless, I really don’t see it as reckless. All of these decisions, even though they’re made in real-time, there’s research involved in it prior to the game. There’s also context involved in that, too. Like I said, Brandon is not a robot, but with decisions on the field, you have to make quick, quick decisions in real-time. I thought that he did a really excellent job with that this year. He has my support behind that.”

Telesco also said Staley is building his relationships with his players in a way that should bear fruit for years to come.

“He handled things very well this year,” Telesco said. “It’s great working with them. We have a great working relationship. I think you guys can tell, too, he really has a great connection with our team and with our players. I think you saw that on a daily basis. He has definitely brought an identity to this football team, which is step number one as you come in as a new head coach. I think that the future’s bright with where we are.”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Popper reads between the lines and says...
        --Nasir continues to have a problem with consistency in tackling. (I see DB as a position sf highest need; maybe a Safety that can tackle and play some Corner, Slot.)
        --There is a pervasive defensive problem with assignments and technique. (I see a need for a splash FA + a fairly high draft pick at DT; we must have talented depth/rotation.)
        --ORT must be addressed. (Pipkins is finally becoming our Swing Tackle.)
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Daggummit.
          Move Nasir to Slot.
          ​​​Use his explosion in short areas.
          Draft a real Safety to work with Derwin.
          See Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer this weekend.
          Ya stinkin' ballwatchers.
          imp:

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Spencer Brown (Buffalo)was sitting right there in the 3rd rd. Instead they choose WR Palmer, otherwise RT would now be non-issue. Then w/Staley DB background address secondary with next 3rd round selection Elijah Molden (Tennessee) instead a blocking TE, so far, low impactful results.

Punctuates playoff teams from non-playoff teams.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Be it a stud CB or safety, I think there is a good chance there will be legit impact players available in free agency. I’d love it if a monster impact 27 year-old DT was available, but there won’t be. Gotta see what happens with franchise tags, but someone like JC Jackson, Jessie Bates, Carlton Davis, or Marcus Williams. At that point you’ve got a pretty solid secondary and can focus on the front seven. I think if we resign White, Jones, and Nwosu that’s a start. Then go get Akiem Hicks and it’s starting to look like a solid D. Plus then you’re not drafting for need and can see what the draft brings you.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

TT spoke for over an hour and said nothing
                They must have edited the feed you saw.

I am not getting fired...shove it.
                Tom Telesco

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

They must have edited the feed you saw.

I am not getting fired...shove it.
                  Tom Telesco
                  Telesco was as surprised as all of us that the defensive mastermind he hired as HC couldn’t put it together. Blamed himself but….

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Telesco was as surprised as all of us that the defensive mastermind he hired as HC couldn’t put it together. Blamed himself but….
                    LOL.
                    Refreshing honesty from TT.
                    It's a contract year.
                    He's so grateful we drafted MW.
                    Interesting choice of words.
                    He knows run defense is our achilles heal.
                    Do something about it !

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      There you have it
                      straight from the horses mouth
                      Telesco understands our frustration

Feels great to be understood

Any questions?
                      A lot of what TT said is music to my ears. The problem is that he’s not a new GM and has been with us for 9 years. There’s been some good, but too many bad IMO. This is his last year barring a deep run next season.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

LOL.
                        Refreshing honesty from TT.
                        It's a contract year.
                        He's so grateful we drafted MW.
                        Interesting choice of words.
                        He knows run defense is our achilles heal.
                        Do something about it !
                        Hmmm. I thought it would take the offense longer to get it together. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the guy who sold himself as a defensive genius could fucking figure out how to stop the run FFS. But sure I take the blame.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Popper reads between the lines and says...
                          --Nasir continues to have a problem with consistency in tackling. (I see DB as a position sf highest need; maybe a Safety that can tackle and play some Corner, Slot.)
                          --There is a pervasive defensive problem with assignments and technique. (I see a need for a splash FA + a fairly high draft pick at DT; we must have talented depth/rotation.)
                          --ORT must be addressed. (Pipkins is finally becoming our Swing Tackle.)
                          I am good with all three.

I am not beholden to anybody. Maybe guys like Aboushi, Anderson, Roberts and Hopkins as they are pretty cheap and Roberts/Hopkins added too special teams

But for how Staley wants to play - if they need to make changes - all for it. Adderley did get the 4th year increase - his salary bumped to $2.5m - like Dru T because of playing time as a draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X