• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I would keep Allen, sign MW and add a young development WR that offers speed and can return kicks and punts.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• BoltingUP
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
      Anyone else think now might be the time to move Allen and sign MW?
      Keenan would certainly have value( still a top receiver) and MW is younger.
      Looks like today's successful O's rely on WR's getting big YAC. Outside of maybe Guyton, NONE of our receivers do that.
      Use some of the draft capital you get in a KA deal and grab a slot receiver in the 3rd( where A LOT of productive receivers are found)
      Just thinking outside the box. Goodness knows we need to try SOMETHING different because what TT has been doing for 9 years hasn't worked.
      We are a team that lives on 3rd and 4th down conversions. If you remove KA from those plays, our weapons are much easier to take away on those critical downs. KA is here for more than 1 or 2 years. He is not a speed receiver so his footwork will be productive for a much longer period.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Looks like today's successful O's rely on WR's getting big YAC. Outside of maybe Guyton, NONE of our receivers do that.
        Use some of the draft capital you get in a KA deal and grab a slot receiver in the 3rd( where A LOT of productive receivers are found)
        Just thinking outside the box. Goodness knows we need to try SOMETHING different because what TT has been doing for 9 years hasn't worked.
        Resign Mike Williams - yes. Move on from Keenan Allen - no. Allen and Williams form one of the best WR duos in the league. They both had over 1,100 yds receiving in 2021, finishing 12th and 13th in receiving yardage. No other team had two WRs who placed that high. They are heading into their 3rd season with Herbert. Keep the corps intact.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No, I think the.offense is fine aside from a RT and a bigger and better RB to share the load. Perhaps TE. But I'm certainly not getting rid of our number one receiver who has over 400 receptions last 4 years who Herbert trusts.
          This is exactly right. The Chargers' offense was 3rd in passing yards, 4th in total yards, 5th in pts scored. Better in all three of these categories than either the Rams or Bengals. Right tackle needs upgrading. The RB corps needs an upgrade exactly as you describe. And, yes, maybe a TE, though I'm not real sure, McKitty might turn out to be better than we were expecting. And don't break up the Herbert to Keenan connection. This is all the offense needs. Don't try to fix what is not broken.

The defense is where this team needs to invest heavily this off-season.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            I would keep Allen, sign MW and add a young development WR that offers speed and can return kicks and punts.
            Bingo.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This is exactly right. The Chargers' offense was 3rd in passing yards, 4th in total yards, 5th in pts scored. Better in all three of these categories than either the Rams or Bengals. Right tackle needs upgrading. The RB corps needs an upgrade exactly as you describe. And, yes, maybe a TE, though I'm not real sure, McKitty might turn out to be better than we were expecting. And don't break up the Herbert to Keenan connection. This is all the offense needs. Don't try to fix what is not broken.

Parham will come back next year and explode into a receiving threat star. Next year he puts it all together. He will block well enough to stay on the field and not be the obvious 3rd down TE receiver guy. McCat will also take a step forward, being more stout in-line and a credible albeit non-Parham receiving option.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

And a real RT.Either high pick or expensive FA.No TT specials.Finish the o line then build the D up.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Slayer is signed thru 2024...not going anywhere until then...maybe...

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

This season, the Chargers on offense were 5th in pts per game and 4th in yards per game. The Rams were 8th and 9th in those categories. The Chargers scored 40+ pts in three games. The Rams didn't have a single 40 pt game; they scored 38 twice.

So why the Rams and not the Chargers? Here is why.

The Rams on defense were 15th in pts allowed per game and 17th in yards allowed. The Chargers were 29th and 23rd in those categories.

It's very simple. This off-season should be about rebuilding the defense. Even if the Chargers go from a bad to a mediocre defense, it's good enough to win. The offense needs a little attention, as we have all discussed. Upgrade at RT. Another RB to compliment Ekeler. Re-sign Mike. The rest of this off-season's free agent and draft capital has to be defense. Defense doesn't win championships today. Offense does. Both the Rams and Bengals had top offenses but mediocre defenses. The Chargers have the offense - that battle is conquered and in good shape. But you still need at least a middling defense to win. Come on Telesco and Staley. You can do it.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

WindsorUK I don't understand why you would want to move on from KA. You are not the only one who has suggested it. But why would you move on from a WR who has built a bond with Herbert, who had 106 receptions, 1,138 yds, and 6 TDs? He is going to be just 30 this season, and his elite skill set (route running v pure speed) is suited for veteran WRs to succeed deep into their 30s. You must know that players who can produce these numbers consistently are not easy to find. Why would you kick him out the door? I don't get it. I hope KA follows in Gates' foot steps, playing his entire career for the Chargers, well into his thirties. Gates had one of his best seasons in 2014 at age 34.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

I'm trying to play Devil's advocate here. EVERYONE wants to sign MW to a big contract.
                        Does Justin Herbert REALLY need, what, $35 million( if say MW gets 15?) worth of receivers? I'm a HUGE Keenan fan! And ANYONE who watched him this year KNOWS he didn't look the same. Yes, he put up GREAT numbers but with JH at QB, I'm thinking A LOT of guys could?
                        And as much as I thought Palmer was drafted to replace MW, after watching him this season, I'm thinking he might be Keenans replacement?
                        I also think we need to find a slot receiver that can make a living in the seams, gain yardage after the catch.
                        KA is one of the few( if not ONLY!)valuable assets we have, where we actually have viable options to replace him. We need to accumulate as many draft assets as we can, to build as much good depth as possible, whilst Herbert is on his rookie contract.
                        I'm still not convinced TT can ACTUALLY build a championship roster( he's handcuffed by the owner's dullard son) but as long as he's GM, he needs to try and think outside the box now. Whatever he's done to this point hasn't worked. Maybe shaking up the status quo could work?
                        I'm tired of almost, and so close, and only if......
                        Again, just flingin' mud against the wall

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

I'm trying to play Devil's advocate here. EVERYONE wants to sign MW to a big contract.
                          Does Justin Herbert REALLY need, what, $35 million( if say MW gets 15?) worth of receivers? I'm a HUGE Keenan fan! And ANYONE who watched him this year KNOWS he didn't look the same. Yes, he put up GREAT numbers but with JH at QB, I'm thinking A LOT of guys could?
                          And as much as I thought Palmer was drafted to replace MW, after watching him this season, I'm thinking he might be Keenans replacement?
                          I also think we need to find a slot receiver that can make a living in the seams, gain yardage after the catch.
                          KA is one of the few( if not ONLY!)valuable assets we have, where we actually have viable options to replace him. We need to accumulate as many draft assets as we can, to build as much good depth as possible, whilst Herbert is on his rookie contract.
                          I'm still not convinced TT can ACTUALLY build a championship roster( he's handcuffed by the owner's dullard son) but as long as he's GM, he needs to try and think outside the box now. Whatever he's done to this point hasn't worked. Maybe shaking up the status quo could work?
                          I'm tired of almost, and so close, and only if......
                          Again, just flingin' mud against the wall
                          Palmer was and is insurance to KA. Sucks we had to spend a 2nd on him though. We need to pay MW or else find someone equivalent in production. I'd lean towards keeping him. Have we explored just tagging him?

Comment

Working...
                          X