• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    It's interesting that some of you want to let MW go, even after Herbert said he wants MW back.

As for age - each of us is different and some aren't bothered by age as early in life as others. Another thought I have about age - those older players have the experience that can help them, and help others. Sometimes smart is really just another word for experience.

How many of you that want to avoid a player in his early thirties want to see them release Herbert when he's 32?

Keeping Joseph and reducing the number of plays we ask of him would be the smart way to go. I bet his know-how is useful in the DL meetings.
    I think some posters are over thinking it by saying MW may ask for 25.mil based on some lame writer who is speculating and doesn't even know MW or his agent.
    Yet MW when interviewed said he wants to come back, he doesn't like change and has many friendships here with one being with Herbert.

Yet some still want to let him go based on ......what I'm not sure. I assume money and some say he disappeared in games. Well if he isn't targeted, how can he get receptions? Sometimes we game plan to use our TEs more against defenses.

IMO he is worth to our team 17 mil. I wouldn't pay 25 mil but I doubt he asks for that.
    ​​​

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

It's interesting that some of you want to let MW go, even after Herbert said he wants MW back.

As for age - each of us is different and some aren't bothered by age as early in life as others. Another thought I have about age - those older players have the experience that can help them, and help others. Sometimes smart is really just another word for experience.

How many of you that want to avoid a player in his early thirties want to see them release Herbert when he's 32?

Keeping Joseph and reducing the number of plays we ask of him would be the smart way to go. I bet his know-how is useful in the DL meetings.
      No argument about Joseph's know-how. The man played very well indeed on one of the best Super Bowl winning DLs in NY.
      I do question what he has left in the tank physically. I like him and do value his experience. But... I'm not sure how his contract will fit with the defensive FA splash that I hope to see. Something like the 2021 OL FA signings.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

The NFL has a hard cap so you need players who out perform their contracts. Jospeh did not out perform his contract last year. If he's back at reduced snaps it needs to be at significantly reduced salary.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          The NFL has a hard cap so you need players who out perform their contracts. Jospeh did not out perform his contract last year. If he's back at reduced snaps it needs to be at significantly reduced salary.
          Joseph or Hicks are signings later in free agency, possibly post draft. At worst, after the dust settles after the first two days.

And if Joseph is back it needs to depth and limited snaps

I think the Chargers will target Sebastion Joseph Day from Rams - though they can make the cap work, they might have less flexibility cap wise. Also need to bring backj Justin Jones or sign a like player to replace him. Can't let Jones walk, sign SebJoeDay but than think Hicks or Joseph are your starters

I doubt BJ Hill leaves the Bengals

But Hicks or Joseph as rotational depth - fine with each. Something like $9/3 -- at most. To me its line up a bunch of names;l Hicks, Joseph, Austin Johnson, Maliek Collins. Rank them in order of cost and first one is signed. But these are all depth players for me

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Joseph has been instrumental in Fehoko’s development and he could provide the same type mentorship for any IDL the chargers draft this year. Unlike Cook I think Joseph in a reserve low pitch count and short yardage type situation would be a good 1-2 year investment at close to vet minimum. Assuming he’ll stick around for that type of payout.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Linval worked through COVID & a nagging shoulder injury.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Joseph has been instrumental in Fehoko’s development and he could provide the same type mentorship for any IDL the chargers draft this year. Unlike Cook I think Joseph in a reserve low pitch count and short yardage type situation would be a good 1-2 year investment at close to vet minimum. Assuming he’ll stick around for that type of payout.
                Fehoko’s development into what, exactly? I am generally opposed to reserving roster spots and Cap dollars for mentoring or coaching. Hire a recently retired player if coaches are not able to mentor them. Use roster spots for players.

If Joseph can PLAY, consider him. I thought he looked done by week 12 but they need to fill DL spots with GOOD players, not just bodies. He was good when he wasn’t spent, problem is he’s spent fairly quickly and that trend will only get worse.

Fehoko isn’t the solution to a superior DL imo. He’s backup material
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Linval worked through COVID & a nagging shoulder injury.
                  But he is not getting younger so there is a likelihood he is more susceptible to injuries than the younger player

The data is out there about snaps by age of player

If JasonOTC can know this, Telesco needs to know this too. Just look at the Bengals Free agency...

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But he is not getting younger so there is a likelihood he is more susceptible to injuries than the younger player

The data is out there about snaps by age of player

If JasonOTC can know this, Telesco needs to know this too. Just look at the Bengals Free agency...
                    Even when Joseph was not hurt/sick, it's not like he was a dominant player out there. He was decent, at best, and now is another year older. Time to move on.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Even when Joseph was not hurt/sick, it's not like he was a dominant player out there. He was decent, at best, and now is another year older. Time to move on.
                      I have floated Ertz as a TE option over a guy like Gesicki
                      Tyrann Mathieu another "popular name"
                      I think I am moving on from those two names - too old

I think Telesco and Staley need to focus on how the player WILL play the next 3 years and not how they HAVE they played and don't be fooled by the name (not saying they are- but espn and nfl analysts do it - they see the name and think "hey he can still play!" )

Telesco and Staley need to scout these free agents hard, dig deep into rosters and really figure out a player and how they can develop and not decline

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have floated Ertz as a TE option over a guy like Gesicki
                        Tyrann Mathieu another "popular name"
                        I think I am moving on from those two names - too old

I think Telesco and Staley need to focus on how the player WILL play the next 3 years and not how they HAVE they played and don't be fooled by the name (not saying they are- but espn and nfl analysts do it - they see the name and think "hey he can still play!" )

Telesco and Staley need to scout these free agents hard, dig deep into rosters and really figure out a player and how they can develop and not decline
                        Depends if you want them for 3 years. I don't want Ertz for three years. Just 1 with maybe a voidable year while giving the young guys another year to develope.

McKitty was a 3rd rounder and why I don't see us going TE in this draft unless it is a first or second and even then they likely need some time

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Why rent a TE one year at a time? With a hot young QB, the value is in skill position player he can develop with long term. If Parham is the man fine get a late round development guy if he is not signing a guy under 28 make more sense or draft the guy that you feel can be the man.
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X