Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamrock
    replied
    Interesting listen to Colin Cowherd with Sean Payton. Cowherd’s issue with the Chargers all along has been the team’s La k of identity. Who are the Chargers? He still doesn’t know and believes it cost them. Nothing that they could lean on as things went south. Payton hemmed and hawed. But basically said he didn’t understand how the Chargers defense lost connection in the second half and that you have to be able to control clock with that kind of lead

Leave a comment:

• Florida fan
    replied
    Hate to say this but owner might not know we were in playoffs and lost?

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    In our case,
    I would say health issues were pivotal,
    from Slater's biceps in early season,
    right through
    to Vato's pec in AFCWCG.
    Last edited by wu-dai clan; 01-16-2023, 12:10 PM. Reason: To correct/alter inaccurate info

Leave a comment:

• Lefty2SLO
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I maintain that our issues are chiefly health, depth and specific personnel.
    With all respect - all teams deal with health issues - some worse than ours;

SF is on their 3rd QB of the year (and won)
    Miami was down to their 3rd string QB
    Baltimore was down to their 2nd string QB - battling his own injuries

SF won, and Miami and Baltimore took their more talented opponents to the limit before losing. We, on the other hand were gift wrapped a win and managed to lose anyway. It's this comparison to other injury impacted teams that concerns me in the long term. It points to significant leadership issues AT ALL LEVELS - INCLUDING THE PLAYERS. There's lots of angst about our coaching staff, and rightly so, but where's the leadership within the players ranks? When things go bad they panic and / or turtle.

The coaching staff and players on those other teams managed (somehow) to be competitive, but not us - that's the embarrassing part. The Chargers are without a doubt the laughingstock of the NFL (ATM). I could take them losing (I've seen plenty of Charger losses), but what's so disheartening is the manner of this loss, and the way it illustrates just how far they have to go, when I really thought they were much, much closer to being a good team. It's quite apparent that there's a great deal more to winning at the NFL level than just having talented players.

For instance; imagine the carnage if this current Chargers team, with Stick at QB, played Buffalo (in Buffalo) in a one and done playoff scenario (a la Miami). They would absolutely get their doors blown off, but Miami (with their 3rd string QB) made it competitive to the end.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied

Alohi played over Nasir.
    Guyton is RFA.

Quickly,
    I like Jones, Georgia OT
    and
    Joseph Notre Dame Safety.

Gotta find a Round 3 CB.
    Alohi over Nasir was a poor decision. Alohi played well with Nasir when he took Derwin’s position. He was badly beaten on the Zay Jones TD which Nasir probably had a better chance of covering

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Better than the deer in the headlights look I saw Saturday night
    That was not Chargering.
    No it wasn't.
    Red Zone allergy attack.
    Bring on next year.
    Everyone will learn and mature.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, the injuries were bad... particularly during mid-season. The Salyer, Vato, and Carter injuries @Jax can't be dismissed. Not having MW has been discussed endlessly.

Yeah, yesterday I wanted everybody fired. I'm willing to ride with Staley one more year. I'm also OK if he is fired. That collapse was historic.
    If I'm looking for my pound of flesh, I'd get it from Lombardi and many of his assistants. If we were able to run just a little vs Jax, we'd be discussing how to beat KC right now. Herbert is the franchise, he's not being used correctly. We have to find a way to get vertical... at least once in a while. If it's a deep speed issue... address it in through the draft. If it's a protection issue... address it in the draft.

Now, I'm ready to move onto roster building and the draft.
    Alohi played over Nasir.
    Guyton is RFA.

Quickly,
    I like Jones, Georgia OT
    and
    Joseph Notre Dame Safety.

Gotta find a Round 3 CB.

Leave a comment:

• Boltx
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol see what I mean. Your username needs to be gloomdoom, pessimist,isery, or exile. Lol
    Sorry couldn't resist but it's been 20 or so years of this.
    Sorry man, there's just a certain feeling of hopelessness with all this THIS TIME that is hard to shake.

Even with the 1-15 and other lean years, you at least knew change was coming. You knew high draft picks were coming. Yeah they missed on a lot of those but at least you knew there was a possible roll of the dice that they may get it right. And from 2004-2009 they mostly did.

This trifecta of TT, Staley and Herbert is just so DOA and the fact that we have to run it back again, and again, and again is exhausting. There's no roll of the dice. It's just pounding our heads against the wall over and over. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Doomsday Scenario would be Brady going to the Raiders (we never beat him) and Denver getting either Payton or Harbaugh as their coach and rapidly turning things around, especially since they have a mostly good defense already in place and Wilson can easily be resurrected.

Add to that, the Chargers have not made back-to-back playoff appearances since 2008-2009 and it's almost certain that 2023 is a DOA year, and beyond that as well. You're looking at a last place team.
    Lol see what I mean. Your username needs to be gloomdoom, pessimist, misery, or exile. Lol
    Sorry couldn't resist but it's been 20 or so years of this.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-16-2023, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boltnut
    replied
    I have no problem replaying the injury card here.

Injuries to Guyton, JC, Slater, Bosa, Austin Johnson and Herbert derailed our season.

When the sting wears off, you will realize this.

We don't have to feel embarassment anymore if we don't want to.

Wear it like a badge of honor.

Kick ass more thoroughly next time.

There is no need for a false sense of urgency.

We have fundamentally evolved, by dealing with crisis in a correct manner.
    Yeah, the injuries were bad... particularly during mid-season. The Salyer, Vato, and Carter injuries @Jax can't be dismissed. Not having MW has been discussed endlessly.

Yeah, yesterday I wanted everybody fired. I'm willing to ride with Staley one more year. I'm also OK if he is fired. That collapse was historic.
    If I'm looking for my pound of flesh, I'd get it from Lombardi and many of his assistants. If we were able to run just a little vs Jax, we'd be discussing how to beat KC right now. Herbert is the franchise, he's not being used correctly. We have to find a way to get vertical... at least once in a while. If it's a deep speed issue... address it in through the draft. If it's a protection issue... address it in the draft.

Now, I'm ready to move onto roster building and the draft.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied

In your esteemed opinion,

would it be better if Staley were vaping on the sideline ?

:lol:
    Better than the deer in the headlights look I saw Saturday night

Leave a comment:

• Boltx
    replied
    Originally posted by Florida fan View Post
    I don’t think Denver or Raiders will be a pushover next year. This year was our best opportunity we have to stop making excuses. When you stop making excuses you are working on progress.
    Doomsday Scenario would be Brady going to the Raiders (we never beat him) and Denver getting either Payton or Harbaugh as their coach and rapidly turning things around, especially since they have a mostly good defense already in place and Wilson can easily be resurrected.

Add to that, the Chargers have not made back-to-back playoff appearances since 2008-2009 and it's almost certain that 2023 is a DOA year, and beyond that as well. You're looking at a last place team.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X