• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The risk of 1 yr FAs is they already got paid what they are going to get. Maybe they work hard as a prove-it year to get the next 1-2 yr deal? Or maybe if they are 36 and the season starts to grind hard, they say fuck it and coast down to the finish to sail away. We’ve seen both … Gaithers anyone?

a 3 yr FA deal with ability to cut after Yr1 has tangible dollars on the table for Yr 2 and 3 he’s playing to secure. Ok - maybe this theory is all shit and means nothing. I dunno
    Or maybe they're like Andrew Whitworth and want to go one year at a time if they feel good to try and get that ring that he just got. Whitworth didn't show any sign of declining Campbell has.

Depends on the free agent. I don't mind a guy that's 30-31 maybe even 32 if they still playing well. Hicks is still playing well, Ertz still playing well,....there are some others that are still playing well in the early 30s that can contribute.

I don't buy that they need to be here 3 years because Herbert has 3 years on his rookie contract that's really absurd to me. There is turnover on the roster every year.

And if some use that as a sticking point whether to sign players with Herbert during his rookie contract then why the hell would anybody want to get rid of Mike Williams?

The chemistry is already there.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      For the "Mike Williams is inconsistent" crowd...

Only eight receivers in the NFL had 7+ games with at least 80+ receiving yards in 2021: Cooper Kupp, Justin Jefferson, Davante Adams, Deebo Samuel, Diontae Johnson, CeeDee Lamb, Tyler Lockett, MIKE WILLIAMS.
      That is a good thing to see for those say he disappears in games. Godwin isnt on that list or Golladay or Robinson who i have seen mentioned here as possible replacements.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Or maybe they're like Andrew Whitworth and want to go one year at a time if they feel good to try and get that ring that he just got. Whitworth didn't show any sign of declining Campbell has.

Depends on the free agent. I don't mind a guy that's 30-31 maybe even 32 if they still playing well. Hicks is still playing well, Ertz still playing well,....there are some others that are still playing well in the early 30s that can contribute.

I don't buy that they need to be here 3 years because Herbert has 3 years on his rookie contract that's really absurd to me. There is turnover on the roster every year.

And if some use that as a sticking point whether to sign players with Herbert during his rookie contract then why the hell would anybody want to get rid of Mike Williams?

The chemistry is already there.
        I just think Telesco needs to be selective if signing players over 30. Don't do what the Cardinals did last offseason or what he did two years ago with Bulaga, Joseph and Harris. Age, injury history, number of career games played/snaps - all have to be taken into account when identifying free agents for your team.

Ertz is probably one guy I wouldn't mind. I see name like Gesicki and Njoku and those make no sense to me (besides TE to me not being the biggest need). But, Ertz, I still think he can very productive. Hicks - as a rotational player, probably as well if you can play him alongside Jones and BJ Hill or SebJoeDay

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just think Telesco needs to be selective if signing players over 30. Don't do what the Cardinals did last offseason or what he did two years ago with Bulaga, Joseph and Harris. Age, injury history, number of career games played/snaps - all have to be taken into account when identifying free agents for your team.

Ertz is probably one guy I wouldn't mind. I see name like Gesicki and Njoku and those make no sense to me (besides TE to me not being the biggest need). But, Ertz, I still think he can very productive. Hicks - as a rotational player, probably as well if you can play him alongside Jones and BJ Hill or SebJoeDay
          ANY Free agent he signs, he needs to be selective.

He screwed the pooch on Bulaga and admitted he took a chance with his injury history. Hopefully its a lesson learned. Joseph has been a good player, Harris clearly lost a step.

Agree on Gesiecki. He isnt a In- line TE and Njoku just isnt a guy that is a big upgrade as he underachieved. Thats why they signed Hooper.

FA TEs id consider are Ertz for a short term, Everett, Howard, signing them later in FA to 2 year deals or three with a voidable year and if you want to spend a little more money, Dalton Shultz or maybe Lindley will talk up Robert Tonyan.

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Njoku to a 3 year contract to replace Cook and have Donald Parham as the 1a and the TE we drafted last season takes Anderson's spot.. If Parham doesn't come back draft a really good pass catching TE in the 3rd or 4th, and McKitty could be our 3rd or 4th TE. The TE position is very important in our O.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I'll give a new roster build a try. A few changes since I last tried. I've included some new players based on some mocks I've seen from other posters (nice work).

I've used PFF's List of 200 Top Free Agents to come up with approximate salaries for certain targets.
              The 2021 NFL season is over, leaving all 32 teams to turn to free agency and the 2022 NFL Draft. Here is a look at the 200 best players set to hit the free-agent market this offseason.

A list of cuts, re-signs, and FA signings. Pre-draft, the roster has 42 players and their approximate salaries. Michael Bandy = Andre Roberts. For some reason, Roberts isn't in Spotrac's data base. Robert's salary will probably be worth $1 million more than Bandy's. Total cap space is $21 million after this adjustment.

Current roster players kept (In black)
              Re-signs (blue)
              FA's (green)
              Draftees (red)

QB: Herbert, Stick
              RB: Eke, Jackson, Kelly, Roundtree, Cam'ron Harris (7th)
              TE: McKitty, Parham, Anderson, Grant Calcaterra (7th)
              WR: KA, MW, Palmer, Guyton, Eric Ezukanma (6th)
              OT: Slater, Abraham Lucas (2nd), Pipkins
              OG: Feiler, Aboushi, Jaimes
              OC: Linsley, Q-Berry

NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day, Noah Eliss (5th)
              DT: Jones, Tillery, Gaziano, Kurt Hinish (7th)
              EDGE: Bosa, Nwosu, Boye Mafe (3rd), Rumph, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
              ILB: White, Tranquil, Murray, Jeremiah Gemmel (7th), Niemann
              CB: Trent McDuffie (1st), ASJ, Davis, Damarion Williams (6th), Hall
              S: James, Adderly, Bryan Cook (4th), Gilman, Webb

KR/PR: Andre Roberts
              K: Hopkins
              LS: Overton
              P: Long (most likely a FA kicker brought in via FA)

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Poppers list of possible external FA targets

The start of the NFL’s new league year is less than a month away, which means free agency is swiftly approaching.

The negotiating window begins at noon ET on March 14. Players can then officially start signing contracts once the new league year and free agency begin at 4 p.m. ET on March 16.

The Chargers are poised to be one of the most aggressive teams in free agency this offseason. They have the third-most cap space in the league, according to OverTheCap. Factoring in draft-pick compensation and in-season budgeting, the Chargers have roughly $43 million in spending space — meaning they can take on an additional $43 million in 2022 cap hits. They have the opportunity and flexibility to bolster their roster with role players and marquee free agents. (For a more detailed breakdown of how I calculated spending space, check out my Offseason Handbook.)

Of course, the Chargers will begin the process by making decisions on their in-house free agents, such as wide receiver Mike Williams, edge rusher Uchenna Nwosu, defensive lineman Justin Jones and linebacker Kyzir White. But they will have space left over to capitalize on the open market and fill in roster roles that were exploited in 2021, starting with the defensive line.

Here are 31 external unrestricted free agents the Chargers could target. Each player’s age is in parentheses.
                DL Akiem Hicks, Bears (32)

Hicks was the subject of plenty of speculation around the trade deadline in early November, but he ended up staying in Chicago to complete his contract with the Bears. It is quite easy to connect the dots between Hicks and the Chargers. Head coach Brandon Staley spent two seasons with Hicks when he was the Bears’ outside linebackers coach in 2017 and ’18. Current Chargers outside linebackers coach and run game coordinator Jay Rodgers was Hicks’ position coach with the Bears from 2016 through ’20. But how much does Hicks have left in the tank? That is what the Chargers must determine. Because of injuries, Hicks has played double-digit games only once in the past three seasons. He dealt with ankle and groin issues last season. When Hicks is on the field, though, he remains a highly productive player.
                DL Sebastian Joseph-Day, Rams (26)

Joseph-Day missed the second half of 2021 after undergoing surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. He returned in time to play in the Rams’ Super Bowl victory earlier this month. Joseph-Day, a sixth-round pick in 2018, had a breakout season in Staley’s defensive scheme in 2020 when Staley was the Rams’ defensive coordinator. He is a proven, reliable run defender — exactly what the Chargers need after their inconsistency against the run in 2021. Among interior defensive linemen with at least 75 snaps against the run in 2021, Joseph-Day led the league in run-stop percentage, according to Pro Football Focus.
                DL D.J. Jones, 49ers (27)

Linval Joseph turns 34 in October, and if the Chargers opt to let him walk in free agency, they will need to find a starting nose tackle to replace him. Jones could help fill that void. A sixth-round pick in 2017, Jones is coming off the best season of his career. He’s 6-foot and 321 pounds, and his biggest strength is his run defending. He finished second in run-stop percentage behind Joseph-Day, according to PFF. He just turned 27 in January, and that potential upside should be intriguing for Staley and Chargers GM Tom Telesco.
                DL DaQuan Jones, Panthers (30)

The Chargers did not have enough reliable bodies up front last season on defense. Justin Jones missed time. Joseph missed time. Jerry Tillery was inconsistent against the run. They put too much on undrafted players such as Joe Gaziano and Breiden Fehoko. They need available, reliable, established defensive linemen, and Jones is exactly that. He has not missed a game since 2017. He has good size at 6-4 and 322 pounds and has produced as a run defender and a pass rusher.
                Edge rusher Von Miller, Rams (32)

Staley was Miller’s position coach in 2019 with the Broncos, and that is the primary reason he lands on this list. Miller is still a premier pass rusher, as evidenced by his two sacks in the Super Bowl. That said, the Chargers are already allocating a significant percentage of their cap to Joey Bosa, Nwosu is likely to get a second contract from the Chargers this offseason, and Miller will demand a sizable short-term contract in free agency. Having three players in one position group on expensive deals is not how the Chargers and Telesco typically do business. But the Miller-Staley connection is worth noting. The Chargers did love what Kyler Fackrell brought last season as a third edge rusher behind Bosa and Nwosu. Miller, of course, would be a dramatic upgrade and would move Nwosu back to a rotational role. The Chargers could also look to the draft to add edge-rushing talent.
                DL Austin Johnson, Giants (27)

Johnson, who was a second-round pick for the Titans in 2016, finished eighth among NFL interior defensive linemen in defensive stops, which PFF defines as any tackle that constitutes a failure for the offense. He also finished fifth among defensive linemen in tackles on run plays with 64, according to TruMedia. He will turn 28 in May and has played in every game over the past five seasons.

CB Kyle Fuller, Broncos (30)

Fuller was on the market last offseason after the Bears were forced to cut him due to cap issues. He signed with Vic Fangio and the Broncos and did not have a particularly good season in coverage. Fuller played more snaps in the slot in 2021 than he had in any season in his career. With Chris Harris Jr. set to go in free agency, the Chargers will need a replacement in the slot. They could sign Fuller to play on the outside and move Asante Samuel Jr. into the slot — though Samuel played well on the outside as a rookie. Fuller played the best football of his career in 2018 with the Bears, when Fangio was the defensive coordinator and Staley was the outside linebackers coach. The Chargers’ cornerback depth was tested last season, and, at minimum, Fuller would provide fluency in the scheme.
                DL Maliek Collins, Texans (26)

Collins is more valuable as an interior pass rusher than as a run defender, and the Chargers will be looking more for stout run defenders in free agency. But Collins is still only 26 (turns 27 in April), and he’s coming off a fine season with the Texans after signing a one-year deal with them last offseason.
                OT Morgan Moses, Jets (30)

The Chargers have a decision to make at right tackle. Bryan Bulaga, who was limited to just one game last season by a core muscle injury, is a likely cap casualty. Storm Norton filled in for Bulaga as the starter in 2021. Are the Chargers comfortable with Norton as their right tackle in 2022? Trey Pipkins, who played well in limited snaps last season, will provide competition at that spot. But do the Chargers want more competition there? And if so, do they add that competition through a veteran free agent or through the draft? If they decide to add via free agency, Moses is an option. Washington cut Moses last May. He signed a one-year deal with the Jets and played well in 16 starts, all at right tackle.
                DL Calais Campbell, Ravens (35)

Campbell truly is an ageless wonder. He is going to turn 36 in December. He has played 14 NFL seasons and has missed just 11 games in his career. Campbell played at a high level for the Ravens in 2021, particularly against the run. His age and mileage might be a deal-breaker for Staley and Telesco, though.
                Edge rusher Lorenzo Carter, Giants (26)

Carter tore his Achilles in 2020, and it took some time for him to find his footing in the Giants defense last season coming off such a significant injury. But he had five sacks over his final four games. The 2018 third-round pick could be a quality value signing for the Chargers if they feel like he’s past the Achilles injury.
                CB Bryce Callahan, Broncos (30)

Callahan dealt with several injuries in his three seasons with the Broncos. He missed all of 2019 because of complications from foot surgery, and he finished both 2020 and ’21 on injured reserve. A cornerback over 30 with recent injury history is a red flag. But his connection to Staley and the defensive scheme is notable. He would fit a need at slot corner. He’s spent his whole career playing for Fangio — 2015 through ’18 with the Bears and 2019 to ’21 with the Broncos. And Callahan also crossed paths with Staley for three seasons, two with the Bears from (2017 and ’18) and with the Broncos (2019). Staley runs the same scheme as Fangio. That familiarity is valuable, especially given how many communication issues the Chargers had on the back end last season.
                DL B.J. Hill, Bengals (26)

The Bengals traded for Hill in late August, sending center Billy Price to the Giants. Hill rewarded Cincinnati with an outstanding season. He was a key cog in Lou Anarumo’s Super Bowl defense. Hill, who turns 27 in April, is young, productive and versatile. I think Hill makes a ton of sense for the Chargers.
                DL William Gholston, Bucs (30)

Gholston has spent his entire nine-year career with Tampa Bay and turns 31 in July. Staley loves length on the interior, and Gholston provides that at 6-6 with 34-inch arms. He actually has a very similar physical profile to Tillery.
                OT Bobby Massie, Broncos (32)

Massie was available last spring after the Bears cut him. The Chargers are likely to be in a different position this offseason, though, once they move on from Bulaga and offload his deal. Massie started 13 games at right tackle after signing with the Broncos and played well. Like Moses, he would be an interesting veteran option if the Chargers decide to add tackle competition through free agency. But my gut says the Chargers will look to the draft to provide tackle competition.
                DL Harrison Phillips, Bills (26)

Phillips just turned 26 in January and is an excellent run defender. But he has some concerning history with knee injuries, having torn the ACL in his left knee twice, once in college at Stanford and again with the Bills in 2019. He also told the Buffalo News that he played all of 2021 with a torn PCL in that same left knee that he suffered in the preseason.
                WR Tre’Quan Smith, Saints (26)

The Chargers need to add speed at receiver this offseason. They could opt to add that skill set in the draft, but there are also some options on the free-agent market that should be reasonable financially. Smith is one of those options. The Saints drafted Smith in the third round in 2018, but he was never able to translate his size and speed into consistent production in his four years in New Orleans. He never finished with more than 450 yards receiving in a season. But he has familiarity with Joe Lombardi from their time together with the Saints. Smith turned 26 in January and has averaged 13.3 yards per reception in his career.
                DL Folorunso Fatukasi, Jets (26)

Fatukasi was a sixth-round developmental pick for the Jets in 2018 and has grown into a quality player on the interior, particularly as a run defender. His 28 run stops were tied for 11th among qualified interior defensive linemen in 2021, according to PFF. Another possible upside play for the Chargers.

DL Derrick Nnadi, Chiefs (25)

Nnadi, a third-round pick of the Chiefs in 2018, turns just 26 in May. He had a bit of a down year against the run last season, but he had been consistent in that area in his first three seasons in the league. Nnadi hasn’t made a ton of splash plays in his career, but he’s the type of reliable run defender the Chargers could use as a rotational nose tackle.
                OT Germain Ifedi, Bears (27)

Ifedi missed time with a knee injury last season, but he started seven games at right tackle and was solid in pass protection. He also has guard flexibility. Ifedi would be a sensible addition for the Chargers as a depth O-line player who could push Norton for the starting right tackle spot.
                WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Packers (27)

Valdez-Scantling has the type of long speed the Chargers should be looking for at receiver, but he might end up being too expensive. The Chargers are already paying Keenan Allen top-of-the-line receiver money. Mike Williams is going to demand a lucrative contract, whether the Chargers put the franchise tag on him or sign him to an extension. I cannot see the Chargers handing out a third expensive receiver contract. Josh Palmer is already on the roster and poised for a bigger role in 2022. The price must be right for the Chargers to spend in free agency on a speedy wide receiver. We will see if Valdez-Scantling stays in that range.
                DL Christian Ringo, Saints (29)

Ringo was a practice squad journeyman for most of his NFL career before cracking into the Saints’ defensive line rotation this past season. He finished fourth among qualified defensive linemen in run stop percentage, according to PFF.
                WR Kalif Raymond, Lions (27)

Raymond has 4.3 speed and also provides experience as a kick and punt returner — though I think the Chargers will re-sign Andre Roberts to fill that role. Raymond set career highs in catches (48), receiving yards (576) and touchdowns (four) for the Lions last season. Before 2021, Raymond had never caught more than nine balls in a season.
                OT Tyrell Crosby, Lions (26)

Crosby spent all of 2021 on injured reserve before undergoing back surgery in December. If he is healthy, Crosby could be worth a flier as competition at right tackle. He started 11 games at right tackle for the Lions and performed well in pass protection. He does not turn 27 until September.
                WR Damiere Byrd, Bears (29)

Byrd ran a sub-4.3 40 at his pro day back in 2015. Some time has passed since then, but Byrd — who caught 26 passes for 329 yards last season in Chicago — would still be a cost-effective speed option for the Chargers.
                DL Bilal Nichols, Bears (25)

Nichols spent the first three years of his NFL career playing for Rodgers in Chicago. He had his best season as a pro in 2020 with a career-high five sacks and 31 pressures. That was Rodgers’ final year with the Bears.
                RB Chase Edmonds, Cardinals (25)

The Chargers need to find a dependable No. 2 RB option behind Austin Ekeler. Joshua Kelley and Larry Rountree did little to separate themselves in 2021. Justin Jackson is a free agent. Jackson was productive when on the field last season, but he once again battled through injuries. The Chargers could re-sign Jackson. They could draft another running back. They could hope for jumps from Kelley and/or Rountree. Or, if the price is right, they could sign a free agent back. I think that’s unlikely considering Ekeler has a $7 million cap hit for 2022, according to OverTheCap. And allocating multiple expensive contracts to running backs is not an ideal distribution of resources. But Edmonds is very intriguing for me. He is young and won’t turn 26 until April. He does not have a ton of mileage (under 500 total touches for his career). And he is an ideal fit in Lombardi’s scheme with his receiving ability. Edmonds makes a ton of sense in a No. 2 role behind Ekeler, as long as the contract is not too pricey.
                DL Larry Ogunjobi, Bengals (27)

Ogunjobi was having a highly productive season for the Bengals before he broke his foot in the postseason. It was a Lisfranc injury, and that gives me some pause. He set a career high with seven sacks in the regular season. Ogunjobi has been a more consistent pass rusher than run defender in his career. I think Hill is the Bengals defensive lineman the Chargers should be targeting.
                CB K’Waun Williams, 49ers (30)

Williams is an established and experienced slot corner who is particularly adept against the run. He would fit a need for the Chargers if they want to keep Samuel on the outside.
                OT Chukwuma Okorafor, Steelers (24)

Okorafor is slated to hit free agency before turning 25. He started 16 games for Pittsburgh at right tackle last season and allowed only two sacks and 23 pressures in more than 1,000 offensive snaps, according to PFF.
                WR Byron Pringle, Chiefs (29)

Pringle is coming off a career season with the Chiefs. He caught 42 passes for 568 yards, six of which went for at least 25 yards. He would infuse the Chargers’ receiver group with some needed speed and should not cost much against the cap.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  I'd let Tillery walk before I let MWill walk.
                  Tillery is still under contract this season.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Tillery is still under contract this season.
                    I think the implication is use the money you save when you cut Tillery to pay towards MW.

Problem is, you don't really save very much.

Sure his cap savings is $923,655 (https://overthecap.com/player/jerry-tillery/7819/). That savings only gets you a player who is 0, 1 or 2 years of service at the league minimum. Anyone established vet is going to cost over a million. So, effectively, there are no cap savings.

Now, is it still worth it? Maybe. It depends on whether or not you think you can get someone better. As far as pass rushers, we can't. To me, that means he could spend his last year as a designated pass rusher. if he learns to use his hands and deliver a blow instead of trying to catch OL, then he can be a very effective player, and most young DL coming out of college don't use their hands very well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the implication is use the money you save when you cut Tillery to pay towards MW.

Problem is, you don't really save very much.

Sure his cap savings is $923,655 (https://overthecap.com/player/jerry-tillery/7819/). That savings only gets you a player who is 0, 1 or 2 years of service at the league minimum. Anyone established vet is going to cost over a million. So, effectively, there are no cap savings.

Now, is it still worth it? Maybe. It depends on whether or not you think you can get someone better. As far as pass rushers, we can't. To me, that means he could spend his last year as a designated pass rusher. if he learns to use his hands and deliver a blow instead of trying to catch OL, then he can be a very effective player, and most young DL coming out of college don't use their hands very well.
                      Yeah, Tillery will be on the roster next year. He has no trade value... along with Kenneth Murray. If we waited on Tevi, Lamp, and Feeney to develop... we'll wait on Tillery and Murray.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                        Poppers list of possible external FA targets

The start of the NFL’s new league year is less than a month away, which means free agency is swiftly approaching.

The negotiating window begins at noon ET on March 14. Players can then officially start signing contracts once the new league year and free agency begin at 4 p.m. ET on March 16.

The Chargers are poised to be one of the most aggressive teams in free agency this offseason. They have the third-most cap space in the league, according to OverTheCap. Factoring in draft-pick compensation and in-season budgeting, the Chargers have roughly $43 million in spending space — meaning they can take on an additional $43 million in 2022 cap hits. They have the opportunity and flexibility to bolster their roster with role players and marquee free agents. (For a more detailed breakdown of how I calculated spending space, check out my Offseason Handbook.)

Of course, the Chargers will begin the process by making decisions on their in-house free agents, such as wide receiver Mike Williams, edge rusher Uchenna Nwosu, defensive lineman Justin Jones and linebacker Kyzir White. But they will have space left over to capitalize on the open market and fill in roster roles that were exploited in 2021, starting with the defensive line.

Here are 31 external unrestricted free agents the Chargers could target. Each player’s age is in parentheses.
                        DL Akiem Hicks, Bears (32)

Hicks was the subject of plenty of speculation around the trade deadline in early November, but he ended up staying in Chicago to complete his contract with the Bears. It is quite easy to connect the dots between Hicks and the Chargers. Head coach Brandon Staley spent two seasons with Hicks when he was the Bears’ outside linebackers coach in 2017 and ’18. Current Chargers outside linebackers coach and run game coordinator Jay Rodgers was Hicks’ position coach with the Bears from 2016 through ’20. But how much does Hicks have left in the tank? That is what the Chargers must determine. Because of injuries, Hicks has played double-digit games only once in the past three seasons. He dealt with ankle and groin issues last season. When Hicks is on the field, though, he remains a highly productive player.
                        DL Sebastian Joseph-Day, Rams (26)

Joseph-Day missed the second half of 2021 after undergoing surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. He returned in time to play in the Rams’ Super Bowl victory earlier this month. Joseph-Day, a sixth-round pick in 2018, had a breakout season in Staley’s defensive scheme in 2020 when Staley was the Rams’ defensive coordinator. He is a proven, reliable run defender — exactly what the Chargers need after their inconsistency against the run in 2021. Among interior defensive linemen with at least 75 snaps against the run in 2021, Joseph-Day led the league in run-stop percentage, according to Pro Football Focus.
                        DL D.J. Jones, 49ers (27)

Linval Joseph turns 34 in October, and if the Chargers opt to let him walk in free agency, they will need to find a starting nose tackle to replace him. Jones could help fill that void. A sixth-round pick in 2017, Jones is coming off the best season of his career. He’s 6-foot and 321 pounds, and his biggest strength is his run defending. He finished second in run-stop percentage behind Joseph-Day, according to PFF. He just turned 27 in January, and that potential upside should be intriguing for Staley and Chargers GM Tom Telesco.
                        DL DaQuan Jones, Panthers (30)

The Chargers did not have enough reliable bodies up front last season on defense. Justin Jones missed time. Joseph missed time. Jerry Tillery was inconsistent against the run. They put too much on undrafted players such as Joe Gaziano and Breiden Fehoko. They need available, reliable, established defensive linemen, and Jones is exactly that. He has not missed a game since 2017. He has good size at 6-4 and 322 pounds and has produced as a run defender and a pass rusher.
                        Edge rusher Von Miller, Rams (32)

Staley was Miller’s position coach in 2019 with the Broncos, and that is the primary reason he lands on this list. Miller is still a premier pass rusher, as evidenced by his two sacks in the Super Bowl. That said, the Chargers are already allocating a significant percentage of their cap to Joey Bosa, Nwosu is likely to get a second contract from the Chargers this offseason, and Miller will demand a sizable short-term contract in free agency. Having three players in one position group on expensive deals is not how the Chargers and Telesco typically do business. But the Miller-Staley connection is worth noting. The Chargers did love what Kyler Fackrell brought last season as a third edge rusher behind Bosa and Nwosu. Miller, of course, would be a dramatic upgrade and would move Nwosu back to a rotational role. The Chargers could also look to the draft to add edge-rushing talent.
                        DL Austin Johnson, Giants (27)

Johnson, who was a second-round pick for the Titans in 2016, finished eighth among NFL interior defensive linemen in defensive stops, which PFF defines as any tackle that constitutes a failure for the offense. He also finished fifth among defensive linemen in tackles on run plays with 64, according to TruMedia. He will turn 28 in May and has played in every game over the past five seasons.

CB Kyle Fuller, Broncos (30)

Fuller was on the market last offseason after the Bears were forced to cut him due to cap issues. He signed with Vic Fangio and the Broncos and did not have a particularly good season in coverage. Fuller played more snaps in the slot in 2021 than he had in any season in his career. With Chris Harris Jr. set to go in free agency, the Chargers will need a replacement in the slot. They could sign Fuller to play on the outside and move Asante Samuel Jr. into the slot — though Samuel played well on the outside as a rookie. Fuller played the best football of his career in 2018 with the Bears, when Fangio was the defensive coordinator and Staley was the outside linebackers coach. The Chargers’ cornerback depth was tested last season, and, at minimum, Fuller would provide fluency in the scheme.
                        DL Maliek Collins, Texans (26)

Collins is more valuable as an interior pass rusher than as a run defender, and the Chargers will be looking more for stout run defenders in free agency. But Collins is still only 26 (turns 27 in April), and he’s coming off a fine season with the Texans after signing a one-year deal with them last offseason.
                        OT Morgan Moses, Jets (30)

The Chargers have a decision to make at right tackle. Bryan Bulaga, who was limited to just one game last season by a core muscle injury, is a likely cap casualty. Storm Norton filled in for Bulaga as the starter in 2021. Are the Chargers comfortable with Norton as their right tackle in 2022? Trey Pipkins, who played well in limited snaps last season, will provide competition at that spot. But do the Chargers want more competition there? And if so, do they add that competition through a veteran free agent or through the draft? If they decide to add via free agency, Moses is an option. Washington cut Moses last May. He signed a one-year deal with the Jets and played well in 16 starts, all at right tackle.
                        DL Calais Campbell, Ravens (35)

Campbell truly is an ageless wonder. He is going to turn 36 in December. He has played 14 NFL seasons and has missed just 11 games in his career. Campbell played at a high level for the Ravens in 2021, particularly against the run. His age and mileage might be a deal-breaker for Staley and Telesco, though.
                        Edge rusher Lorenzo Carter, Giants (26)

Carter tore his Achilles in 2020, and it took some time for him to find his footing in the Giants defense last season coming off such a significant injury. But he had five sacks over his final four games. The 2018 third-round pick could be a quality value signing for the Chargers if they feel like he’s past the Achilles injury.
                        CB Bryce Callahan, Broncos (30)

Callahan dealt with several injuries in his three seasons with the Broncos. He missed all of 2019 because of complications from foot surgery, and he finished both 2020 and ’21 on injured reserve. A cornerback over 30 with recent injury history is a red flag. But his connection to Staley and the defensive scheme is notable. He would fit a need at slot corner. He’s spent his whole career playing for Fangio — 2015 through ’18 with the Bears and 2019 to ’21 with the Broncos. And Callahan also crossed paths with Staley for three seasons, two with the Bears from (2017 and ’18) and with the Broncos (2019). Staley runs the same scheme as Fangio. That familiarity is valuable, especially given how many communication issues the Chargers had on the back end last season.
                        DL B.J. Hill, Bengals (26)

The Bengals traded for Hill in late August, sending center Billy Price to the Giants. Hill rewarded Cincinnati with an outstanding season. He was a key cog in Lou Anarumo’s Super Bowl defense. Hill, who turns 27 in April, is young, productive and versatile. I think Hill makes a ton of sense for the Chargers.
                        DL William Gholston, Bucs (30)

Gholston has spent his entire nine-year career with Tampa Bay and turns 31 in July. Staley loves length on the interior, and Gholston provides that at 6-6 with 34-inch arms. He actually has a very similar physical profile to Tillery.
                        OT Bobby Massie, Broncos (32)

Massie was available last spring after the Bears cut him. The Chargers are likely to be in a different position this offseason, though, once they move on from Bulaga and offload his deal. Massie started 13 games at right tackle after signing with the Broncos and played well. Like Moses, he would be an interesting veteran option if the Chargers decide to add tackle competition through free agency. But my gut says the Chargers will look to the draft to provide tackle competition.
                        DL Harrison Phillips, Bills (26)

Phillips just turned 26 in January and is an excellent run defender. But he has some concerning history with knee injuries, having torn the ACL in his left knee twice, once in college at Stanford and again with the Bills in 2019. He also told the Buffalo News that he played all of 2021 with a torn PCL in that same left knee that he suffered in the preseason.
                        WR Tre’Quan Smith, Saints (26)

The Chargers need to add speed at receiver this offseason. They could opt to add that skill set in the draft, but there are also some options on the free-agent market that should be reasonable financially. Smith is one of those options. The Saints drafted Smith in the third round in 2018, but he was never able to translate his size and speed into consistent production in his four years in New Orleans. He never finished with more than 450 yards receiving in a season. But he has familiarity with Joe Lombardi from their time together with the Saints. Smith turned 26 in January and has averaged 13.3 yards per reception in his career.
                        DL Folorunso Fatukasi, Jets (26)

Fatukasi was a sixth-round developmental pick for the Jets in 2018 and has grown into a quality player on the interior, particularly as a run defender. His 28 run stops were tied for 11th among qualified interior defensive linemen in 2021, according to PFF. Another possible upside play for the Chargers.

DL Derrick Nnadi, Chiefs (25)

Nnadi, a third-round pick of the Chiefs in 2018, turns just 26 in May. He had a bit of a down year against the run last season, but he had been consistent in that area in his first three seasons in the league. Nnadi hasn’t made a ton of splash plays in his career, but he’s the type of reliable run defender the Chargers could use as a rotational nose tackle.
                        OT Germain Ifedi, Bears (27)

Ifedi missed time with a knee injury last season, but he started seven games at right tackle and was solid in pass protection. He also has guard flexibility. Ifedi would be a sensible addition for the Chargers as a depth O-line player who could push Norton for the starting right tackle spot.
                        WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Packers (27)

Valdez-Scantling has the type of long speed the Chargers should be looking for at receiver, but he might end up being too expensive. The Chargers are already paying Keenan Allen top-of-the-line receiver money. Mike Williams is going to demand a lucrative contract, whether the Chargers put the franchise tag on him or sign him to an extension. I cannot see the Chargers handing out a third expensive receiver contract. Josh Palmer is already on the roster and poised for a bigger role in 2022. The price must be right for the Chargers to spend in free agency on a speedy wide receiver. We will see if Valdez-Scantling stays in that range.
                        DL Christian Ringo, Saints (29)

Ringo was a practice squad journeyman for most of his NFL career before cracking into the Saints’ defensive line rotation this past season. He finished fourth among qualified defensive linemen in run stop percentage, according to PFF.
                        WR Kalif Raymond, Lions (27)

Raymond has 4.3 speed and also provides experience as a kick and punt returner — though I think the Chargers will re-sign Andre Roberts to fill that role. Raymond set career highs in catches (48), receiving yards (576) and touchdowns (four) for the Lions last season. Before 2021, Raymond had never caught more than nine balls in a season.
                        OT Tyrell Crosby, Lions (26)

Crosby spent all of 2021 on injured reserve before undergoing back surgery in December. If he is healthy, Crosby could be worth a flier as competition at right tackle. He started 11 games at right tackle for the Lions and performed well in pass protection. He does not turn 27 until September.
                        WR Damiere Byrd, Bears (29)

Byrd ran a sub-4.3 40 at his pro day back in 2015. Some time has passed since then, but Byrd — who caught 26 passes for 329 yards last season in Chicago — would still be a cost-effective speed option for the Chargers.
                        DL Bilal Nichols, Bears (25)

Nichols spent the first three years of his NFL career playing for Rodgers in Chicago. He had his best season as a pro in 2020 with a career-high five sacks and 31 pressures. That was Rodgers’ final year with the Bears.
                        RB Chase Edmonds, Cardinals (25)

The Chargers need to find a dependable No. 2 RB option behind Austin Ekeler. Joshua Kelley and Larry Rountree did little to separate themselves in 2021. Justin Jackson is a free agent. Jackson was productive when on the field last season, but he once again battled through injuries. The Chargers could re-sign Jackson. They could draft another running back. They could hope for jumps from Kelley and/or Rountree. Or, if the price is right, they could sign a free agent back. I think that’s unlikely considering Ekeler has a $7 million cap hit for 2022, according to OverTheCap. And allocating multiple expensive contracts to running backs is not an ideal distribution of resources. But Edmonds is very intriguing for me. He is young and won’t turn 26 until April. He does not have a ton of mileage (under 500 total touches for his career). And he is an ideal fit in Lombardi’s scheme with his receiving ability. Edmonds makes a ton of sense in a No. 2 role behind Ekeler, as long as the contract is not too pricey.
                        DL Larry Ogunjobi, Bengals (27)

Ogunjobi was having a highly productive season for the Bengals before he broke his foot in the postseason. It was a Lisfranc injury, and that gives me some pause. He set a career high with seven sacks in the regular season. Ogunjobi has been a more consistent pass rusher than run defender in his career. I think Hill is the Bengals defensive lineman the Chargers should be targeting.
                        CB K’Waun Williams, 49ers (30)

Williams is an established and experienced slot corner who is particularly adept against the run. He would fit a need for the Chargers if they want to keep Samuel on the outside.
                        OT Chukwuma Okorafor, Steelers (24)

Okorafor is slated to hit free agency before turning 25. He started 16 games for Pittsburgh at right tackle last season and allowed only two sacks and 23 pressures in more than 1,000 offensive snaps, according to PFF.
                        WR Byron Pringle, Chiefs (29)

Pringle is coming off a career season with the Chiefs. He caught 42 passes for 568 yards, six of which went for at least 25 yards. He would infuse the Chargers’ receiver group with some needed speed and should not cost much against the cap.
                        I saw this list yesterday when Popper tweeted it. I like how he included the ages of players. He and I tweeted a bit - I think he is on the similar thought process that I am on - younger is better. Hicks is mentioned so often but his age and injury concerns are problematic. There are plenty of names on this list who might have more potential upside. Hicks for depth after signing Jones and another or two players is fine with me though

I also notice Popper doesn't have a TE listed

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

LA Times says MW to be franchise tagged

Comment

Working...
                          X