• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Part of modern football is that it is such a games inches. I would ague we do in fact need to make big changes to affect those little differences that will raise our W/L %, especially in one-score games. We can’t win shoot outs consistently with only Keenan, MWill, Herbert and Ek as our “star” O weapons. Tried that, got only halfway. If our D improves to middle of the pack, maybe, but I still look at when our O was on the field late in games and we couldn’t get the points to come away with the one-score win, all the way to the overtime period against the Raiders. Yes, the O was effing heroic getting us to overtime, but after our D held them to 3 points our O…fizzled. Had the ball, could not get 7 to get the W. Todays NFL, even in the SB the Rams had to come back, score points for the W after their D started shutting down Cincy. Simply put, D gives you the opportunity to win, but O has to get the points 98% of the time, they just have to to win. It really does take going all in in every facet. We’re not close, and we won’t get there with little changes. Herbert, yeah, we’ll always be a threat, but the better teams - or even the fucking Raiders - will put us in their rearview. We keep going the way we’re going, little changes, we’ll stay right where we are, middle of the pack, looking up and wishing.
    Our O scored more points than 27 other NFL teams. Still, I'm not against better O and expect us to have that with a 2nd yr in the same offense.
    My reference to small change would be better ,more consistent right side OL, better, more consistent DL and LB run D, CB depth.
    In many games we were not awful at run D for example, but would drop a turd at the worst times.
    I don't want to lose one effing game. The fact is that one play, the right play at the right time in 5 one score losses would have resulted in a 14-3 2021 season.
    The little things absolutely matter. There were 3 lousy games in 2021 where we got our butts kicked.
    So, I'll stick with not needing a major personnel turn over. Barring any major tragedies, we're going to the playoffs. I like our team a lot.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

If this and if that, hurry up offseason.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Our O scored more points than 27 other NFL teams. Still, I'm not against better O and expect us to have that with a 2nd yr in the same offense.
        My reference to small change would be better ,more consistent right side OL, better, more consistent DL and LB run D, CB depth.
        In many games we were not awful at run D for example, but would drop a turd at the worst times.
        I don't want to lose one effing game. The fact is that one play, the right play at the right time in 5 one score losses would have resulted in a 14-3 2021 season.
        The little things absolutely matter. There were 3 lousy games in 2021 where we got our butts kicked.
        So, I'll stick with not needing a major personnel turn over. Barring any major tragedies, we're going to the playoffs. I like our team a lot.
        I do too. And maybe we see the same things but label them differently: a solid RT would be huge; an EDGE opposite Bosa who comes close to his game would be huge; a lock down CB would be huge; an IDL who doesn’t lose 5 yards after the snap would be huge. These are the things we absolutely need to win those close games (an upgrade at WR3 and RB2 would also be, well, slightly less than huge but little? Nah). These are upgrades we need to the level of teams and compete for a SB. We might get one, maybe two if we’re lucky from the draft, but we can’t fill all those needs with the picks we have IMO. TT needs to be a surgeon this off-season in FA, take care of a couple or three of those needs before the draft. Otherwise, 9-8 again and no playoffs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Bolt Beat
          @BB_Chargers

Another NFL exec told @MattLombardoNFL that the Chargers likely won't be aggressive in free agency this offseason.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Bolt Beat
            @BB_Chargers

Another NFL exec told @MattLombardoNFL that the Chargers likely won't be aggressive in free agency this offseason.
            Sounds about right........

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Bryan Bulaga
              Los Angeles Chargers
              2021 record: 9-8
              • Bulaga's 2022 cap number: $14,083,334
              • Bulaga's dead cap number: $3,333,334
              • Chargers' estimated cap space: $56,298,356

Per Over the Cap, the Chargers are currently in the third-best shape cap-wise. So why make this move? Well, Los Angeles' first-round pick from last season, Rashawn Slater, was a Pro Bowler in Year 1. So the Bolts have one edge completely locked down. Meanwhile, Bulaga just spent all but the season opener on injured reserve with back and groin issues. And in the 2020 campaign, Bulaga's first with the Chargers, Pro Football Focus gave him a pass-blocking grade of 65.1, which was his lowest mark since 2012. So that $14 million cap hit doesn't really add up.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Bolt Beat
                @BB_Chargers

I'm guessing that assumption is based on TT's style of his GM ways...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Bryan Bulaga
                  Los Angeles Chargers
                  2021 record: 9-8
                  • Bulaga's 2022 cap number: $14,083,334
                  • Bulaga's dead cap number: $3,333,334
                  • Chargers' estimated cap space: $56,298,356

Per Over the Cap, the Chargers are currently in the third-best shape cap-wise. So why make this move? Well, Los Angeles' first-round pick from last season, Rashawn Slater, was a Pro Bowler in Year 1. So the Bolts have one edge completely locked down. Meanwhile, Bulaga just spent all but the season opener on injured reserve with back and groin issues. And in the 2020 campaign, Bulaga's first with the Chargers, Pro Football Focus gave him a pass-blocking grade of 65.1, which was his lowest mark since 2012. So that $14 million cap hit doesn't really add up.
                  What happened?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Bolt Beat
                    @BB_Chargers

First of all - who the hell is Matt Lombardo

Second of all - one persons idea of "aggressive" might not be the same as another person

I am going to take a wait and see what Telesco does. For me, the Chargers have the cap space for six bigger money players in addition to bringing back Guyton, Parham, Aboushi, Hopkins, Roberts and other cheaper players:

Mike Williams - or another player in the same age range, for the same AAV (15m+)
                    Kyzir White, Nwosu and Justin Jones: again, same age range, AAVs ranging from 6-9m

and two external free agents: one in the 10-12AAV range; one in the 6-8 AAV range

So if Telesco doesn't do the above and goes cheaper, Lombardo at least to me, is right. I just don't want to lose Kyzir White to sign "Thomas Davis" or older cheaper veterans. Build a team that can compete for a few years

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Bolt Beat
                      @BB_Chargers

Liar's month...act like you won't be aggressive, then be aggressive...

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

What happened?
                        Just an NFL article on some players who should be released...

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

First of all - who the hell is Matt Lombardo

Second of all - one persons idea of "aggressive" might not be the same as another person

I am going to take a wait and see what Telesco does. For me, the Chargers have the cap space for six bigger money players in addition to bringing back Guyton, Parham, Aboushi, Hopkins, Roberts and other cheaper players:

Mike Williams - or another player in the same age range, for the same AAV (15m+)
                          Kyzir White, Nwosu and Justin Jones: again, same age range, AAVs ranging from 6-9m

and two external free agents: one in the 10-12AAV range; one in the 6-8 AAV range

So if Telesco doesn't do the above and goes cheaper, Lombardo at least to me, is right. I just don't want to lose Kyzir White to sign "Thomas Davis" or older cheaper veterans. Build a team that can compete for a few years
                          Inflation is making things difficult....

Comment

Working...
                          X