• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I liked/like the Palmer pick; the rest, not so much. Other than Palmer, none of them made any seriously useful contribution last year. My point is that we can't depend on the Draft to fill all the remaining - and numerous - holes we still have THIS year. Like I said, we'll probably land a ST player or two, and our #17 pick will probably - hopefully - be an impact player. Beyond that, if anyone is counting on this draft to fill out the roster...well...that's probably not going to happen.

The four guys we've acquired in FA/trade so far are all great additions. It's just not enough. So that's my hope; and my point. If the team is really trying to make a serious run - not just making the playoffs as a 7th seed - then they must do more. Or we'll be looking up at the rest of the AFC West at the end of the season.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

P.S. Who said anything about TT/Staley reading fan forums? I know they don't.
    Niemann was the ST ROY. Rumph also played most ST snaps. McKitty played well toward the end. Jaimes was always a 2+ year plan. Webb was hurt. Rountree lacks the physical ability for an NFL player.

Not sure what else we expect from rookie late picks. Sure there are sometimes late round picks who contrinute as rookies, but it's not expected.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Kyzir White is still hanging out out there, and the FA LB market hasn’t exactly been gangbusters. Ja’Whaun Bentley and Kyzir were both in the 2018 draft and were free agents. Bentley resigned with New England for 2 years, $9 million. Both had similar production. I’d be in favor of that sort of deal for Kyzir.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I say just get to the playoffs and see what happens from there. We will be battle hardened.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
          Kyzir White is still hanging out out there, and the FA LB market hasn’t exactly been gangbusters. Ja’Whaun Bentley and Kyzir were both in the 2018 draft and were free agents. Bentley resigned with New England for 2 years, $9 million. Both had similar production. I’d be in favor of that sort of deal for Kyzir.
          The only reason I think White has not been signed is they do not see him as a scheme fit in the Staley defense. Now that could of course change over the next week but I have a feeling the Chargers will be moving on from White.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            I say just get to the playoffs and see what happens from there. We will be battle hardened.
            Eff that

Take that 9m from the Mack re-do - get three, maybe four players for extra depth and get that number 1 damn seed!

And unless its La'el Collins - I am thinking spread the wealth with that 9m: DT, OG, OT, Edge

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I expect the Bolts to re-sign Bulaga to a cheap, incentive laden deal after he explores free agency and finds little demand for his services. A one year, prove it contract.
              I hope not. We might as well just go after another injury prone OT in Armstead and see if that will work out better.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The only reason I think White has not been signed is they do not see him as a scheme fit in the Staley defense. Now that could of course change over the next week but I have a feeling the Chargers will be moving on from White.
                That’s a good point also. Though I wouldn’t mind him
                coming back as well. I think he’s a better fit for us than Wagner.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I liked/like the Palmer pick; the rest, not so much. Other than Palmer, none of them made any seriously useful contribution last year. My point is that we can't depend on the Draft to fill all the remaining - and numerous - holes we still have THIS year. Like I said, we'll probably land a ST player or two, and our #17 pick will probably - hopefully - be an impact player. Beyond that, if anyone is counting on this draft to fill out the roster...well...that's probably not going to happen.

The four guys we've acquired in FA/trade so far are all great additions. It's just not enough. So that's my hope; and my point. If the team is really trying to make a serious run - not just making the playoffs as a 7th seed - then they must do more. Or we'll be looking up at the rest of the AFC West at the end of the season.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

P.S. Who said anything about TT/Staley reading fan forums? I know they don't.
                  Staley/ TT's view of what is possible / desirable to stack the odds probably isn't in lock step with ours but I absolutely guarantee that they aren't done with FA.

"So this is a plea for Telesco/Staley to keep their collective feet on the accelerator" - More if a prayer rather than a direct request I gather.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Niemann was the ST ROY. Rumph also played most ST snaps. McKitty played well toward the end. Jaimes was always a 2+ year plan. Webb was hurt. Rountree lacks the physical ability for an NFL player.

Not sure what else we expect from rookie late picks. Sure there are sometimes late round picks who contribute as rookies, but it's not expected.
                    Exactly what I said to expect out of this upcoming draft: A couple of ST additions; maybe a surprise contributor; hopefully 1 impact player. The point I'm trying to make is that we need MORE. We don't have multiple picks in the early rounds; in fact, we're down 1 from the Mack trade. So, again, if the FO is counting on the draft to fill our needs - and feels as if we've done enough to keep up - then I think they are sadly mistaken.

The moves we've made so far are primo. It's just gotta continue, IMO. I don't expect another Mack or Jackson. But I don't think that dragging our feet and waiting for a 'bargain' FA is going to cut it. Not in light of what we're up against in the AFC West.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Staley/ TT's view of what is possible / desirable to stack the odds probably isn't in lock step with ours but I absolutely guarantee that they aren't done with FA.

"So this is a plea for Telesco/Staley to keep their collective feet on the accelerator" - More if a prayer rather than a direct request I gather.
                      They didn’t rework Mack’s contract for nothing. But I don’t think it will be a big ($10M avg) blockbuster signing but rather 2-3 (4?) short duration signs of capable vets at $3-5M each for 1-2 yrs. Need RT, RG, LB, another CB, RB, Backup OC, … sign a few and draft picks can be completely BPA or that surprise super weapon part of TPB is drooling for. Or “overdraft” a RB that actually is a legit NFL caliber inside-the-tackles power RB (GASP!)
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They didn’t rework Mack’s contract for nothing. But I don’t think it will be a big ($10M avg) blockbuster signing but rather 2-3 (4?) short duration signs of capable vets at $3-5M each for 1-2 yrs. Need RT, RG, LB, another CB, RB, Backup OC, … sign a few and draft picks can be completely BPA or that surprise super weapon part of TPB is drooling for. Or “overdraft” a RB that actually is a legit NFL caliber inside-the-tackles power RB (GASP!)
                        I go back and forth - sure its great to have the bigger splash signing - and at this point that would be only Collins or Mathieu to me. I just am going to let somebody else pay Bobby Wagner But, I agree with you - I think targeted players for depth before free agency

RT - Williams from Buffalo, Kelly who used to be with TN and last year GB
                        DL - Akiem Hicks , rotational player
                        Edge type guy: maybe an upgrade from Fackrell and I go back to Morgan Fox who two years ago with the Rams had 6 sacks
                        RB -- Penny or Michel on a cheap one year <$2m deal

The Chargers can "spend" 12m on four players like the above but net to the cap is closer to $9m

Again, I think of what Mathieu could do with that secondary but depth has always been an issue so just sign targeted players to one year deals

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

That's the goal EVERY year! once you start missing the playoffs its time to start rethinking what you are doing and who you are doing it with. I would hope going forward at the very least this is in Brandon Staley's culture he's established.

Comment

Working...
                          X