• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    I am no Draftnik, by any means, but reading all the posts here about our choice @17 (and beyond) and there doesn't seem to be any real consensus pick(s); we're all over the place. That's why I think Free Agency, this off-season, is so important for the team's success in '22. We have no 2nd-round pick, either. So this could essentially be a 1-player draft (IMPACT player, that is). Sure, we may/probably will land a couple of nice ST players; maybe even a surprise with one of our other 9 draft picks. But TT's really shitty history beyond the 2nd round can't be ignored.

Let's be honest: While we have improved, a lot, so far this off-season (at least on paper), it's only fair to point out that the other AFC West teams have at least kept pace, if not surpassed, our improvements. And lets not forget that we finished 3rd last year.

So this is a plea for Telesco/Staley to keep their collective feet on the accelerator. If we truly are positioning ourselves to make a serious run in '22, then a LOT more needs to be done in FA than we've shown so far.
    TT / Staley have a 1 draft history. Their 3rd- 7th picks were Josh Palmer, Tre McKitty, (2x3) Chris Rumph II, Brenden Jaimes, Nick Neiman, Larry Rountree, Mark Webb.
    As a fan, it's fair to point out whatever you consider an issue.
    FA remains open into the reg season. Obvious current needs are: RG, RT starters, C depth, CB depth.
    It would be nice to resign Aboushi and pick up a decent vet RT but they can go draft for OL. It's not too shabby. Preferably we go BPA when we're on the clock.
    Other AFCW teams are reacting to our massive build in D talent. Mack & Jackson were the best out there at their position and can't be equaled. Austin Johnson & SJD are above avg young DTs that fit Staley's D nicely.
    We were not good on D, now we are. How good remains a question but top 10 seems like a reasonable bottom line.
    O was top 5 and should be better with experience in Lombo's Offense together.
    If we get Special Teams on track, somewhat better than avg ? LAC is a 2022 playoff lock.
    We finished 3rd in the AFCW in Staley's 1st yr. We split close games with the rest if the AFCW and beat the AFC Champ Bengals. Nit good enough.
    We did that with a lousy D and mediocre STs in Staley's 1st year.
    If you think Staley is letting anyone relax, you haven't paid attention. He's an intense planner and worker.
    PS: Staley / Telesco don't read the fan forums.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

If, by some miracle, Travon is still there at #17, I pray we take him.
      I think that’s a gimme.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I expect the Bolts to re-sign Bulaga to a cheap, incentive laden deal after he explores free agency and finds little demand for his services. A one year, prove it contract.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          I expect the Bolts to re-sign Bulaga to a cheap, incentive laden deal after he explores free agency and finds little demand for his services. A one year, prove it contract.
          The concern with Bulaga - even on a cheap deal - is if he gets hurt, doesn't matter how cheap the deal is - offers no benefit

I think Trey Hopkins as IOL depth; Williams -who I think can play OG or OT - would be two guys to look at

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

We got some cash now,go grab Bobby Turner and Darryl Williams so we can put Bulaga whale behind us.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Given what he's done the last two years he's pretty ballsy to think he can get a huge up front deal given he's had a paid vacation for two years.

:facepalm1:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Given what he's done the last two years he's pretty ballsy to think he can get a huge up front deal given he's had a paid vacation for two years.

:facepalm1:
                That’s true. He hasn’t retired and he hasn’t signed anywhere. He has an inflated opinion of his value right now. That will change if he wants to keep playing.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

That’s true. He hasn’t retired and he hasn’t signed anywhere. He has an inflated opinion of his value right now. That will change if he wants to keep playing.
                  Keep playing? He hasn’t really played for 2 years

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Keep playing? He hasn’t really played for 2 years
                    Yeah, he has low wear and tear for his age. LOL. Except for his old man’s back.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

A vet like Bulaga, who has salted his ill-gotten gains into an account, shouldn't accept a deal below a certain amount:
                      the chance of permanent injury and permanent rehabilitation makes it not worth the while.

He'll be open for business: but probably won't sign with anyone.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Yeah, he has low wear and tear for his age. LOL. Except for his old man’s back.
                        biceps.

Linsley has the old man back.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

TT / Staley have a 1 draft history. Their 3rd- 7th picks were Josh Palmer, Tre McKitty, (2x3) Chris Rumph II, Brenden Jaimes, Nick Neiman, Larry Rountree, Mark Webb.
                          As a fan, it's fair to point out whatever you consider an issue.
                          FA remains open into the reg season. Obvious current needs are: RG, RT starters, C depth, CB depth.
                          It would be nice to resign Aboushi and pick up a decent vet RT but they can go draft for OL. It's not too shabby. Preferably we go BPA when we're on the clock.
                          Other AFCW teams are reacting to our massive build in D talent. Mack & Jackson were the best out there at their position and can't be equaled. Austin Johnson & SJD are above avg young DTs that fit Staley's D nicely.
                          We were not good on D, now we are. How good remains a question but top 10 seems like a reasonable bottom line.
                          O was top 5 and should be better with experience in Lombo's Offense together.
                          If we get Special Teams on track, somewhat better than avg ? LAC is a 2022 playoff lock.
                          We finished 3rd in the AFCW in Staley's 1st yr. We split close games with the rest if the AFCW and beat the AFC Champ Bengals. Nit good enough.
                          We did that with a lousy D and mediocre STs in Staley's 1st year.
                          If you think Staley is letting anyone relax, you haven't paid attention. He's an intense planner and worker.
                          PS: Staley / Telesco don't read the fan forums.
                          I liked/like the Palmer pick; the rest, not so much. Other than Palmer, none of them made any seriously useful contribution last year. My point is that we can't depend on the Draft to fill all the remaining - and numerous - holes we still have THIS year. Like I said, we'll probably land a ST player or two, and our #17 pick will probably - hopefully - be an impact player. Beyond that, if anyone is counting on this draft to fill out the roster...well...that's probably not going to happen.

The four guys we've acquired in FA/trade so far are all great additions. It's just not enough. So that's my hope; and my point. If the team is really trying to make a serious run - not just making the playoffs as a 7th seed - then they must do more. Or we'll be looking up at the rest of the AFC West at the end of the season.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

P.S. Who said anything about TT/Staley reading fan forums? I know they don't.

Comment

Working...
                          X