• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think I trust Daniel more than Stick, at least to win a game.
    he knows the system as well as anyone and they can come up with a limited offense for him to run.

I'd love to know what Lombardi and Day think of Stick since they came on after. But I wonder how well Stick is catching on mentally.
    Stick played better than Daniel in the last PS. Just saying … I didn’t see any genius expert play from Daniel last PS. His mentor value is so overblown its laughable. He hasn’t known how to become a quality starter in 12 seasons, what is he going to teach Herbie - how to be a second rate backup that bounces around from team to team and never plays his entire career? He had a total of 39 yards and 0 TDs in his 3 forgettable seasons in NO. Herbie can get 13 yards in a season just by falling forward once.

Herbie is the Golden God. Daniel can only tarnish his glistening deity.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      Stick played better than Daniel in the last PS. Just saying … I didn’t see any genius expert play from Daniel last PS. His mentor value is so overblown its laughable. He hasn’t known how to become a quality starter in 12 seasons, what is he going to teach Herbie - how to be a second rate backup that bounces around from team to team and never plays his entire career? He had a total of 39 yards and 0 TDs in his 3 forgettable seasons in NO. Herbie can get 13 yards in a season just by falling forward once.

Herbie is the Golden God. Daniel can only tarnish his glistening deity.
      I agree. I think it's a waste of a roster spot to have Daniel as Herbert's mentor. Herbert clearly has the offense down heading into Year 2. We don't need Daniel, who isn't good enough to start in the USFL, and I'm not even kidding about that.

I think we should have brought in a real veteran to compete with Stick this season. I liked some of what I saw out of Stick last preseason, but part of me feels he was drafted because Anthony Lynn thought he could develop him into the next Tyrod Taylor and be our long-term starter after Rivers. That's all speculation on my behalf, as well as my belief Stick isn't thought highly of by this coaching staff.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

It is silly to bag on Tillery here.
        We are building depth and performance on camp competition.
        Just let Tillery come in during the mandatory sessions, and let's see what happens.
        He is capable of making some plays, remember ?
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Just let Tillery come in during the mandatory sessions, and let's see what happens.
          And getting pushed around 8 times as more. It’s fair to be all meh about him. The onus is on him, not us.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

This board has a perfect sense of bad timing and negative reinforcement. It's called being bitchy.

So if Tillery or Kelley or Murray make a quantum leap, at least we will be able to say we were "meh" about them before Memorial Day.

What is that ? A culture of winning ? A championship mindset ?

Does anyone think Peter King mails it in ? Visualize hoisting the Lombardi. Or cling to "it's the same old Chargers."

Choice is ours.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

If either of those guys make a leap, color me pleasantly surprised and joyfully wrong.
              sans Murray since he was more banged up than I originally realized and have most hope for him of the 3.
              and you know how big a supporter I was of Tillery since draft day and every year since, but this no-show move reaks of poor sportsmanship/lack of football character.

But to your bigger point Wood, I accept the challenge.
              If we want a championship culture, let's look in the mirror first.
              let's be championship quality fans.

Boltup!
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Understood. Tillery will end up Washington or Seattle. Great teammate, to be sure, but as my 4i, he's liability as he cannot whip his man. This kind of player Staley has NO use for. Beating your man consistently in one-on-one is a prerequisite to play for Staley.
                Sounds like Damion Square. He was a weenie, and he's become a journeyman going from team to team, who keeps having team's spit him out of their mouth.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I think the irritation comes from him not living up to expectations.
                  I never had many expectations of him from day 1. He wouldn't have been my choice.

Having said that, he can be useful as a situational interior pass rusher. SJD and AJ are the space eaters... and will need a rest on 2nd-and-long or 3rd-and-long.
                  Pair Tillery over a guard and put Mack on his shoulder (over a tackle)... get some 1-on-1 matchups for him.
                  Bosa (over a tackle) ^ Fox (over a guard) ^ Tillery (over a guard) ^ Mack (over a tackle).
                  If you can get an ILB to feign blitz over the center (like Staley used to do with the Rams) then you can get those 4 pass rushers 1-on-1's. I absolutely trust JT in that scenario.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

This board has a perfect sense of bad timing and negative reinforcement. It's called being bitchy.

So if Tillery or Kelley or Murray make a quantum leap, at least we will be able to say we were "meh" about them before Memorial Day.

What is that ? A culture of winning ? A championship mindset ?

Does anyone think Peter King mails it in ? Visualize hoisting the Lombardi. Or cling to "it's the same old Chargers."

Choice is ours.
                    Add Pipkins

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Let us pause in wonderment at how much closer to being a "line of scrimmage team" we are now, than we have been in the past.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I have said that at the very least, reduce Tillery's reps from last season, put him in a lighter rotation now that we finally have decent D-line depth, and Tillery can at least be serviceable. Who knows? Maybe since he'll be fresher, he'll do better...

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I have said that at the very least, reduce Tillery's reps from last season, put him in a lighter rotation now that we finally have decent D-line depth, and Tillery can at least be serviceable. Who knows? Maybe since he'll be fresher, he'll do better...
                          Let him earn reps. He's an asset in pass rush, weakness vs run. Make some plays or work on his non-football future.

Comment

Working...
                          X