• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
    The offensive line to me is line a basketball team. They practice to be a unit. Combinations will be found and the best five will be out there. Within this concept of unit, best 5 is essentially top 7 to 8 running things. All I ever wanted was to add quality beef to that group.
    As a Bolt fan, it was an excruciating wait for this LONG overdue infusion of oxen to the O-line.

Truly, it was an embarrassment that upper management didn't see to it that Philip Rivers was better protected than he was. Phil played behind some dreadful lines, and it absolutely impacted his productivity.

I'm using my Zen practice to instead focus on the transformational miracle of the club using consecutive 1st round picks on O-line steer-age. Allelujah, and praise to <deity of choice> for this remarkable sea change. It appears that SOMEone in charge recognizes that Justin Herbert is worth protecting, and that the team will win more games if Herb is better protected.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Feiler struggled to finish last season with probably a high ankle sprain, no diagnosis or grade level given but it affected his play greatly when he returned. Next time it happens there is no chance they trot out Kelemente so insert Salyer. Doubt Feiler would get his starting role back either. Would rather see Chargers repeat last season by starting Feiler next to rookie Zion. Now if Feiler goes down insert Trey or Storm.
      I believe Salyer over Kelemente for sure.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        The offensive line to me is line a basketball team. They practice to be a unit. Combinations will be found and the best five will be out there. Within this concept of unit, best 5 is essentially top 7 to 8 running things. All I ever wanted was to add quality beef to that group.
        I like this analogy.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Fair question - and maybe I will start looking at RT this way
            - if Staley/Telesco knew enough to bring in Mack, JC Jackson, SJD, Austin Johnson, Van Noy, Fox and Callahan - plus drafting Zion Johnson - they sure as shoot should know about RT and they have a plan for it
            A few weeks ago I pointed out that going into the off-season it was common knowledge that one of the biggest priorities was to find a replacement at right tackle. But after the first wave of free agency, the draft, and the second wave free agency, there was no apparent solution at right tackle that was an upgrade over last season. Posters here responded by pointing out all the signings and draft picks that you point out above, noting that the team had been vastly upgraded in a number of different areas and that not everything can be fixed in one season. And besides we don't know yet what the plan is yet, and how Johnson and Salyer fit into the OL plan, and whether Feiler might move to RT. So, I am with you, wondering what the plan is, but I'm not going to sweat it. But I do doubt there is an upgrade out there among the FA that will be an upgrade to Storm/Pipkins, given that both these guys know the system.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Some thoughts about the modifications made to the Chargers' defense:

First of all, the new cast of characters--

OLB -- Khalil Mack

CB -- J. C. Jackson

IDL -- Sebastian Joseph-Day

IDL -- Austin Johnson

OLB -- Kyle Van Noy

CB -- Bryce Callahan

DL -- Morgan Fox

Then the draft brought

S -- J. T. Woods

DT -- Tito Ogbonnia

DB - Ja'Sir Taylor

DB -- Deane Leonard

A strong case can be made for saying that outside of J. T. Woods, realistically the most that can be hoped for from this defensive draft class is special teams snaps. If guys like Taylor and Leonard are called in for duty on defensive snaps? That would most likely mean several other players are hurt, and we don't want that. Ogbonnia will have to impress more than most 5th round draft picks usually do, if he's going to take any snaps away from Joseph-Day, Johnson or Covington. I'm not expecting that. IMO, he's a developmental guy who's unlikely to get snaps on defense, unless injuries mandate it.

This influx of talent impacts the defense in a completely interactive way. The presence of Khalil Mack means that offenses won't have the enough blockers to stop BOTH Mack, and Joey Bosa. Imagine Bosa elevating most of his QB Hurries into QB Hits, and most of his QB Hits into Sacks. In the meantime, Mack will have his own opportunities to make an impact as a pass rusher, while also being formidable as an edge defender.

The presence of Joseph-Day and A.Johnson-- two established, experienced, scheme-fit DTs-- should permit the Bolts' Front 7 to fill gaps, and allow the playmakers on defense to make plays. Guys like Van Noy and Morgan Fox have skill sets that lend themselves to situational down-and-distance use that should help get the Bolts' defense off the field on 3rd downs a higher percentage of the time.

If all of the above results in greater success getting to the passer-- and it *should*-- there will be (1) more sacks, (2) more ill-timed passes, (3) and more bad throws. Those factors play into the hands-- literally-- of playmakers like J. C. Jackson and Derwin James. Turnovers = Fewer Opponent Scores = Greater Bolts' Time of Possession.

So with the usual disclaimers about catastrophic runs of injuries, etc., the Bolts' defense has underdone a one-offseason re-tooling that APPEARS to have corrected every major deficit that plagued the 2021 unit. There might be vulnerable spots, but there are no longer any glaring Achilles' Heels.​​​

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

A few weeks ago I pointed out that going into the off-season it was common knowledge that one of the biggest priorities was to find a replacement at right tackle. But after the first wave of free agency, the draft, and the second wave free agency, there was no apparent solution at right tackle that was an upgrade over last season. Posters here responded by pointing out all the signings and draft picks that you point out above, noting that the team had been vastly upgraded in a number of different areas and that not everything can be fixed in one season. And besides we don't know yet what the plan is yet, and how Johnson and Salyer fit into the OL plan, and whether Feiler might move to RT. So, I am with you, wondering what the plan is, but I'm not going to sweat it. But I do doubt there is an upgrade out there among the FA that will be an upgrade to Storm/Pipkins, given that both these guys know the system.
                They know what they have with Storm. Pipkins needs to produce all through TC. If not it’s Fieler’s gig at RT, and going with two rookie OGs (might happen anyway if Fieler isn’t fully healed).

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

This is what I want Herbert (and the Chargers) to improve on next year. Plenty of weapons, have to hit the wide open WR.

"This" is deep breaking routes, in this case a deep dig. Allen doesn't have the leg to maintain separation vs man coverage but vs zone this should eat with our vertical threats.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

This is what I want Herbert (and the Chargers) to improve on next year. Plenty of weapons, have to hit the wide open WR.

"This" is deep breaking routes, in this case a deep dig. Allen doesn't have the leg to maintain separation vs man coverage but vs zone this should eat with our vertical threats.
                      Nothing to see here, we have a top five O. Move it along. Doesn’t matter Herbie made a bad read deep in LV territory, the D sucked that game, all there is to it.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nothing to see here, we have a top five O. Move it along. Doesn’t matter Herbie made a bad read deep in LV territory, the D sucked that game, all there is to it.
                        Unless you plan on replacing Herbert I'm not sure what you want to do, roster wise, to improve his read in this situation.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Unless you plan on replacing Herbert I'm not sure what you want to do, roster wise, to improve his read in this situation.
                          Every QB misses those.

Comment

Working...
                          X