• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t want them to lock in so early they don’t lock the best combo. Its a 17 game season, and i think assuming the lock out of TC where their ability to even run, much less hit, much less play true football, is so restricted by CBA now might not actually select the best combo for the long season and then playoff run.

I’d buy into the Slater-Feiler-Lindsey model more if I actually thought Feiler played at elite level last year at OG. If others step up to seal the right side, he’s not horrible. But I don’t think he was elite at OG at all, he was ordinary average. his PFFFFT metrics seem to support my lying eyes. - wasnt his rating decidedly meh low 70s?
    My thinking is, this is not last year. No OL was perfect. Linsley and Slater were among NFL best, Feiler a decent avg - in 2021.
    PFF: Linsley 86.3, Slater 83.7, Feiler 75.3 (15th OG of 64+).
    Moving forward, let's let our best 3 work on improving their game at their positions. Install Zion at RG. Don't throw too much confusion into the mix for ZJ. Make a call at RT and get real practices in as a starting 5 OL.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Feiler and Aboushi we’re both stop gap, immediate starters of rebuild. Fast forward one year, the two OG’s drafted possess potential to be long term starters. Salyer may beat out Feiler LG and push Matt to RT depending on Pip & Storm development.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Feiler had some games he played very, very well in. But once teams started to realize that we couldn't run to the right, and kept slanting a lot of guys in and around him, he kinda started to stuggle at times in pass protection. He is another guy I think we can help quite a bit by having Johnson play well at RG. Teams will not be able to overload our offensive left side as much, which gets Feiler back in his element more.

They aren't really going to be set at OL until TC starts. Minicamps and OTA's are all about getting guys prepared through skill development and teaching the O. TC is where teams are allowed to hit, so you really can't do much competition prior to that.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
          Feiler and Aboushi we’re both stop gap, immediate starters of rebuild. Fast forward one year, the two OG’s drafted possess potential to be long term starters. Salyer may beat out Feiler LG and push Matt to RT depending on Pip & Storm development.
          I like Salyer and there's a chance he'll just be too good to set.
          I think Staley & co would like to limit the amount of OL change going forward, rather build on what worked with our 10th ranked OL.
          But that is just my guess.
          We have more OTAs 5/31, 6/1, 6/3, 6/6-7, 6/9.
          Mandatory Minicamp 6/14-15. We might get a clue re OL from who they line up with the 1s there.
          Report for training camp July 27. Then it's on.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Seems like the board wrote off Jaimes. His only play last PS he looked pretty good going up against guys soon to be on the PS or street.

Did coaches already say they are moving Salyer inside? I know he was taking some snaps at OG in rookie confab but not sure if that means anything or not.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

So to recap: our 6th round OG pick may beat out our starting vet LG, allowing him to take over at RT next to our 1st round OG. Nice.

Hell, wasn’t Zion’s position in college LG? If Salyer shows so well he can look to unseat Fieler, stick him at RG next to Fieler, and play Zion at LG.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Slater-Johnson-Linsley-Salyer-Fieler.
                That looks good to me.
                When do we start this ?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I like Salyer and there's a chance he'll just be too good to set.
                  I think Staley & co would like to limit the amount of OL change going forward, rather build on what worked with our 10th ranked OL.
                  But that is just my guess.
                  We have more OTAs 5/31, 6/1, 6/3, 6/6-7, 6/9.
                  Mandatory Minicamp 6/14-15. We might get a clue re OL from who they line up with the 1s there.
                  Report for training camp July 27. Then it's on.
                  That isnt my expectations for him. Id consider it a bonus if it does. Im not expecting him to start this year. Maybe sometime after the second half or if an injury occurs. IDK i just se him as a year developement guy and from there, is good player for us. Would be great if im wrong and i could be, but i think some are expecting too much from him in the early going.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

My guess for starting OL game 1 : Slater- Feiler- Linsley- Johnson- one of Norton / Pipkins.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      My guess for starting OL game 1 : Slater- Feiler- Linsley- Johnson- one of Norton / Pipkins.
                      Yep. Salyer is the monkey with the wrench, could shake things up IF…but that’s why they play the games/hit the TC pads.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

IMO, expectations for Salyer are too high for this year. I can’t see him beating out Feiler for his job at OG.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          IMO, expectations for Salyer are too high for this year. I can’t see him beating out Feiler for his job at OG.
                          Concur-- IMO, Salyer's rookie ceiling = "trusted backup"

And I'd be happy with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X