• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

With Tillery you can trade him this year or let him walk for maybe a comp pick in 2 years. It's something to consider. None of the other guys will return anything.

Maximizing comp picks is one way to stay ahead of parity.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think folks who say Tillery won’t make it are skewed by their disappointment in his Rd1 selection and not properly comparing him to late Rd / UDFA practice squad players he will compete against for the final spot. They have more gap grinders than they have interior pass rushers. I expect Tillery to make the roster over the likes of Covington, Gaziano, Fehoko and Oggibongo (sp lol?). I agree he’s a bust for Rd1 but I’m not evaluating him as a Rd1 pick anymore. Just my guess.
      Oggi will make it alone because of his draft status.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
        With Tillery you can trade him this year or let him walk for maybe a comp pick in 2 years. It's something to consider. None of the other guys will return anything.

Maximizing comp picks is one way to stay ahead of parity.
        I don’t think we’ll get a comp pick for Tillery. He’s worth a 7th currently in a trade unless someone like Bradley really wants him.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

He's mostly a run stuffer. I like him but am guessing they want more QB pressure from inside. After AJ & SJD.
          We probably need at least one other run stopper given SJD’s injury history. Oggi is still green being a rookie. It’s a hard decision given what happened last year with our run defense.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The depth is still a big problem. If Tito steps up, things should be OK. But Covington and Fehoko have both played OK at times, but it is not like they are almost starter caliber. Covington got pushed around a lot. Fehoko gets tied to blocks, which is kinda a problem in the gap reading style of D we use. He is the best of a bad lot from last season.

Tillery needs to come through, it's just hard to get excited. He plays with good pad level and has the physical tools, but he doesn't use his hands and he lets OL knock him back time after time. He needs to fire out and set the line back. But he has been in the same boat for a couple of years and just seems incapable of doing it.

Fox is a situational rusher guy. I think he is a nice addition, but I don't consider him depth. he can't play in the base front and if he has to play in obvious running downs he has to slide outside.

I think this is the kind of season where you spend the whole time hunting for guys at cutdown time. We won't get someone great, but you can find some backups that way. Maybe someone who is going to get cut and we can do a player swap, or send a conditional late-round pick for a DL.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t think we’ll get a comp pick for Tillery. He’s worth a 7th currently in a trade unless someone like Bradley really wants him.
              Depends on how he plays.

We're not likely to be active in FA next year so everyone will likely count.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We probably need at least one other run stopper given SJD’s injury history. Oggi is still green being a rookie. It’s a hard decision given what happened last year with our run defense.
                Scheme is supposed to stop chunk plays, fill some holes that were open last year, it wasn't just DL.
                Year 2 plus vet adds like Mack, KVN, Reeder will help.
                Training camp / pre season will help DL name & how many decision making.
                Right now I think AJ, SJD, Tito, Tillery, 1 or 2 of Gaziano, Covington, Fox.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Scheme is supposed to stop chunk plays, fill some holes that were open last year, it wasn't just DL.
                  Year 2 plus vet adds like Mack, KVN, Reeder will help.
                  Training camp / pre season will help DL name & how many decision making.
                  Right now I think AJ, SJD, Tito, Tillery, 1 or 2 of Gaziano, Covington, Fox.

That sounds about right to me too. Gaz, Cov, Fehoko, Merrill - all are similar and more run-stop backups than pass rush pressure guys. Covington prolly best at pass pressure of the 4 so I’d give him the nod from that group. AJ and SJD are their primary rush defense plan, so at most 2 of those guys makes back end roster and others could be PS candidates, because...

1. Tito gets at least a year as a draftee and on tape he appears to have more upside than any of those “other” guys. He is more likely to get poached from the practice squad.

2. Tilllery and Fox both make roster IF THEY DON’T GET AN OFFER for Tillery (and I doubt they do). both are primarily on roster for obvious pass situations but they may on occasion be rotation relief to keep AJ and SJD fresher in Q4 situations. Fox also could be used at times outside to rotate in / relieve Joey and Khalil on rush situations to keep them fresh for late game.

All of this dependent on TC and PSGames actual play, of course. Someone could surprise, someone could disappoint. And it does sound like Tillery thinks he is a lot better than he is. All in all this group is so much better than last year - its just a major uplift that will pay back all year long.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Depends on how he plays.

We're not likely to be active in FA next year so everyone will likely count.
                    Won't any comp pick for Tillery be based entirely on the magnitude of the contract he signs?

I thought that's how comp picks worked

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Won't any comp pick for Tillery be based entirely on the magnitude of the contract he signs?

This Tillery trade and/or comp pick talk is kind of amusing...it's like running into a dude at the swap meet who is selling salvage rights to the Titanic...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Yes it is pretty much based on that and if he plays well, he will get a decent deal. If he plays mediocre he won't. He would have to have a really good year to get a good contract.

I'm not expecting anything much in return for losing him.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Interior pass rushers can get paid. He puts up 6 sacks, he could be looking at $5M/year+.

Comment

Working...
                          X