• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

So Lombo is in charge of player scouting and signing now too? TT owns the roster, how many times must we repeat this fact.

Staley can input. Lombo can input. John Jr can input. The fucking equipment manager can input. But TT owns the roster.
    Owner is Spanos. He gets the final yea or nay, if he cares to exercise it.
    TT signs off on staff, personnel choices working with scouts, coaches. When TT says "We", that's who he means. Contracts are TT, Spanos, Ed McGuire.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

If you think our coaches were bummed about their performance, how did the losing coaches feel? I just don’t buy the notion they were out coached, their players were outplayed, but they won.

But to answer: I have not been impressed with the Charger team like I expected I would all year long. I still see more players not playing well vs coaching, but i see some of both. I see other coaches also not mistake-free, i see a Charger team that has been in almost every game so its just a bit detached from fact to say they are completely outclassed.

Someone was hoisting McVey yesterday as an example of how a great coach does it vs Staley (v Raiders). The win got them to 4-9, how does analysis get so detached from reality? Seriously - the 4-9 coach shows how great coaches make the difference? Lol.

McVey has two Super Bowls under his belt: he's demonstrated that he can help assemble and coach up talent, along with his staff, if given the opportunity.
      Things haven't gone his way this year. Fire him? That would be absurd - you know that.

Staley has not demonstrated much of anything at this point. A hot start his first five games, and then sub par results the rest of the way.
      Faith in his abilities as a head coach right now are starting to run thin. The film review by nomorechillies always seems to isolate at least
      one defensive screw up a week leading to a big play. Its a ragged bunch out there. Fire him! Not so absurd.
      What would we be holding on to? I'm not one who thinks he has the makings of a great head coach, if only he gains experience.

If Staley won the Super Bowl (or even made it to the playoffs) last year, he'd also be given a mulligan, like McVey.
      The critiques are starting to bubble to the surface from many after almost two seasons of watching his team play.

One isolated game really does not change much of anything.

Last edited by powderblueboy; 12-10-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

McVey has demonstrated that he can help assemble and coach up talent, along with his staff, if given the opportunity.
        He has two Super Bowls under his belt.

Staley has not demonstrated much of anything at this point. A hot start his first five games, and then sub par results the rest of the way.
        Faith in his abilities as a head coach right now are starting to run thin. The film review by nomorechillies always seems to isolate at least
        one defensive screw up a week leading to a big play. Its a ragged bunch out there.

If Staley won the Super Bowl (or even made it to the playoffs) last year, he'd also be given a mulligan.
        This critiques are starting to bubble to the surface after almost two seasons of watching his team play.

I agree McVey is a good coach. But he’s 4-9. The point isnt that he is or is not a good coach. Rather, I demonstrate that the hypothesis that coaches have all of the necessary ability and control to either win or not win is hereby rejected as false.

I still think Staley’s defensive problems are more discipline and fundamentals. For every play where they are grossly out of position or alignment, there are 10 were a defender is perfectly placed and whiffs the play or gets ragdolled for an extra 5-8 yards after contact because of poor technique and fundamentals, that extra 5 yards every play adds up after awhile. i’m sure some will argue he should adjust scheme accordingly. But there are not extra players on the field. Weak links cannot always be covered and doubled. Players have to play. He needs to hire grizzled chaw-spitting angry position coaches to drill players into sound behaviors. Thats what Marty and Bobby did, they stressed execution over scheme,

you don’t think Chilies could find a bad play by every team in the league each week if so inclined to search?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

McVey has two Super Bowls under his belt: he's demonstrated that he can help assemble and coach up talent, along with his staff, if given the opportunity.
          Things haven't gone his way this year. Fire him? That would be absurd - you know that.

one defensive screw up a week leading to a big play. Its a ragged bunch out there. Fire him! Not so absurd.
          What would we be holding on to? I'm not one who thinks he has the makings of a great head coach, if only he gains experience.

If Staley won the Super Bowl (or even made it to the playoffs) last year, he'd also be given a mulligan, like McVey.
          The critiques are starting to bubble to the surface from many after almost two seasons of watching his team play.

One isolated game really does not change much of anything.

Yes....please lets not compare Staley with McVay because McVay is having one bad season because he lost his QB and has as many injuries as Chargers do.

I think he has earned a mulligan... going to 2 Super Bowls and winning one by the time he is what 36?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

So Lombo is in charge of player scouting and signing now too? TT owns the roster, how many times must we repeat this fact.

Staley can input. Lombo can input. John Jr can input. The fucking equipment manager can input. But TT owns the roster.

If Lombo wasn't the OC, the Chargers would not have brought in Clapp.
            Pretty damn simple to deduce, if you ask me.
            Clapp has been a bit short of being a disaster ....

If you are trying to make a neat line between people who assemble the roster and people who coach the roster,
            it typically doesn't exist - certainly not on the Chargers. You can bleat your 'fact' all day long, you'd be wrong.

Telesco is responsible, but so are the coaches for the collection of talent.
            If you listen to Telesco, he'll tell you that they operate by consensus of opinion when it comes to drafting players.​
            Hell, if the equipment manager is ever in the room on draft day, they'd want his consent too; that's how they operate.

Telesco needs input to assemble the roster: you make it seem like it is optional. Sure, he can go along with one
            persons opinion over another; but what this fucking organization does is try to build consensus as to who to bring in
            and what muzak they'll play on the elevator.

I'll put it this way: telesco, having been here for 10 years, is more responsible than anyone for the assemblage of talent and the
            brand of football being played.

I'm not looking forward to retaining anyone from this organization.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

I agree McVey is a good coach. But he’s 4-9. The point isnt that he is or is not a good coach. Rather, I demonstrate that the hypothesis that coaches have all of the necessary ability and control to either win or not win is hereby rejected as false.

I still think Staley’s defensive problems are more discipline and fundamentals. For every play where they are grossly out of position or alignment, there are 10 were a defender is perfectly placed and whiffs the play or gets ragdolled for an extra 5-8 yards after contact because of poor technique and fundamentals, that extra 5 yards every play adds up after awhile. i’m sure some will argue he should adjust scheme accordingly. But there are not extra players on the field. Weak links cannot always be covered and doubled. Players have to play. He needs to hire grizzled chaw-spitting angry position coaches to drill players into sound behaviors. Thats what Marty and Bobby did, they stressed execution over scheme,

you don’t think Chilies could find a bad play by every team in the league each week if so inclined to search?
              For some teams like the Chargers, poor alignment or confusion leading to a big play or two every week, yes.

For well coached defenses where the players know their assignments, Chillies would need to go a few games before coming across one.

If you consider the opposition, what big plays have the Charger's offense made this season due to a defensive screw up or poor alignment? I can't think of many.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

6-6 ,AFC #9 seed is a high average team. Don't ignore the facts.
                Not what I had hoped for, granted.
                facts are that 9 out of 16 teams is below average. Their DVOA is 23 out of 32 or bottom third. My opinion after watching the Chargers for almost 50 years is that this isn’t a very good team. Poor fundamentals, lack of execution and unable to make adjustments.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

I wear the pants at home but only because the wife lets me.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

McVay went 13-3 his 2nd year.
                    But then I look at roster. Not only did they have some every good players but, would you believe his entire OL and DL started every single game that year. 9 of the starters on offense played every game. The RB started 14. They really only had 1 player a WR miss a lot of time with 8 games.

This year his team is the opposite, he only has 1 single OL that played every game. And he is 4-9.
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

If you think our coaches were bummed about their performance, how did the losing coaches feel? I just don’t buy the notion they were out coached, their players were outplayed, but they won.

But to answer: I have not been impressed with the Charger team like I expected I would all year long. I still see more players not playing well vs coaching, but i see some of both. I see other coaches also not mistake-free, i see a Charger team that has been in almost every game so its just a bit detached from fact to say they are completely outclassed.

Someone was hoisting McVey yesterday as an example of how a great coach does it vs Staley (v Raiders). The win got them to 4-9, how does analysis get so detached from reality? Seriously - the 4-9 coach shows how great coaches make the difference? Lol.
                      didn’t say they are completely outclassed, but there’s a lot of things that frustrate me about this coaching staff. Like I’ve said in other posts. I don’t hate Staley or even Lombardi. I just think we can do better. And yes, definitely players not playing well, but some of that can be coaching too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

If Lombo wasn't the OC, the Chargers would not have brought in Clapp.
                        Pretty damn simple to deduce, if you ask me.
                        Clapp has been a bit short of being a disaster ....

If you are trying to make a neat line between people who assemble the roster and people who coach the roster,
                        it typically doesn't exist - certainly not on the Chargers. You can bleat your 'fact' all day long, you'd be wrong.

Telesco is responsible, but so are the coaches for the collection of talent.
                        If you listen to Telesco, he'll tell you that they operate by consensus of opinion when it comes to drafting players.​
                        Hell, if the equipment manager is ever in the room on draft day, they'd want his consent too; that's how they operate.

Telesco needs input to assemble the roster: you make it seem like it is optional. Sure, he can go along with one
                        persons opinion over another; but what this fucking organization does is try to build consensus as to who to bring in
                        and what muzak they'll play on the elevator.

I'll put it this way: telesco, having been here for 10 years, is more responsible than anyone for the assemblage of talent and the
                        brand of football being played.

I'm not looking forward to retaining anyone from this organization.
                        You have a source for that fact?

I see several possibilities:

1. If TT is bringing in bad backup players and he knows they are bad but does it just because the OC told him to, he should resign as the GM has a greater responsibility than taking orders from assistant coaches without even checking.

2. If TT doesn’t scout the players that coaches suggest before he signs them, he’s incompetent and should resign.

3. If TT couldn’t tell Clapp is a bad backup after scouting him, he is responsible and should resign.

If the roster buck doesn’t stop with Telesco, it doesnt stop anywhere.

TT has had 3 HCs, more than 3 OCs, and lots of OL coaches, and he has not had one great OL in his 10 year tenure. Who was the great backup center before Clapp? We see his great second team scouting ability all over the field, not just at OC. We have seen it for 10 years.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

I agree with your statement. I guess the difference in my perspective is that lack of discipline, fundamentals, etc. are not 100% just on the players….there is a coaching element too. There should be shared accountability. Particularly when coaches continue to run players out that can’t play (like K9).

There’s actually a lot I like about Staley…with some players he has benched them and held them accountable. Like benching JC Jackson and Nas earlier this season. That’s the right thing to do. I also respect his general aggressiveness and playing to win like AZ. we’ve had too many coaches that played not to lose…

Comment

Working...
                          X