• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I see where you're going with this, I think, but I know I'm in agreement. It took forever to get Hunter Henry to get to a reliable weapon, and I want production out-of-the-box. So that's a free agent.
    a mid round TE that I think is going to be a good pro is Charlie Kolar. I wouldn’t be upset if he was there in the 5th and they took him. He will probably be gone before that though.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

a mid round TE that I think is going to be a good pro is Charlie Kolar. I wouldn’t be upset if he was there in the 5th and they took him. He will probably be gone before that though.
      I would agree completely. I think I've seen Charlie as a 4th or 5th Round option.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Roster needs

My top three:

1. Defensive line: The Chargers run defense was a mess in 2021. They need to bolster their front. On top of re-signing Jones and Covington, I think the Chargers need to add one defensive lineman with a premium draft pick and another high-level free agent. How do Georgia’s Jordan Davis and the Bears’ Akiem Hicks sound?

2. Right tackle: Norton had some very rough moments starting in Bulaga’s place in 2021, and I do not think the Chargers can rely on him as their starting right tackle in 2022. Trey Pipkinsshowed a lot of promise in his limited playing time, and perhaps he can emerge as the starter there. But the Chargers need to bring in talent and competition at this spot. I could see them drafting a tackle in any of the first three rounds.

3. Secondary: The Chargers finished with the worst third-down defense in the league in 2021. Some of that was the poor run defense creating too many third-and-manageable situations for opposing offenses. Some of that, too, was inconsistent play from the secondary, both starters (Harris, Michael Davis, Asante Samuel Jr., Nasir Adderley) and depth pieces (Tevaughn Campbell, Trey Marshall). If the Chargers let Harris walk, they will need to find a starting nickel corner. They need to add more talent at outside corner. And they need safety depth behind James, Adderley and Alohi Gilman.

OK, Popper brought it up, pull up a chair, let's drill down this. Akiem Hicks. Turned 32. I generally agree with Ninja's axiom of don't sign FA over 30. You'll get burned because that's when the soft-tissue starts to breakdown. Calais Campbell is 35 and was a sound investment for the Ravens for two seasons. Why not Akiem Hicks for the Chargers? If the argument that Calais is a physical freak, I would argue the same of Hicks. The folks in Chicago love this guy.

Akiem Hicks - Market Value, $5.5 million/offer 2-yr $11million dollar deal, he's a California boy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimor...cash-earnings/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-...em-hicks-9899/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-.../market-value/

The biggest thing to improve the 3rd down D is not pass coverage (although that is a need), we need better pass rush off the edge. Nwosu may have been OK down the stretch, but he is not a great pass rusher. I think he is fine depth as a run down Edge player, but he is not that great a pass rusher. We need another good edge. 2 would be better, as it would allow us to move Bosa around more. Rumph may turn into one, but we need help at edge.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I liked the Popper article when I read it yesterday - but I tweeted him back that to maximize cap space, the Chargers should sign MW to a long term deal and not franchise. He said they can afford to do it it now as it will give them flexibility in the future. I disagreed because I think it eats up way too much cap space now when you can sign two more players with the difference between a $12m cap hit on a long term deal and $19m cap hit and worry about future cap space in the future as the cap should be going back up in 2023 so the best of both worlds. Also two years of Mike Williams at 35m guaranteed - why not just sign him to a long term deal already.

Second, I also disagree about Akiem Hicks if he is slated to be your STARTING IDL next too Justin Jones. If Bulaga, Harris, Cooks, Thomas Davis has proved one thing - older players tend to not be as consistent as they age. Combined with the higher risk for injury

Hicks as a second IDL signed for rotational depth - fine with it. But I think Telesco needs to think younger, more potential for long term success

But it was a good read and agreed with a lot of it

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

OK, Popper brought it up, pull up a chair, let's drill down this. Akiem Hicks. Turned 32. I generally agree with Ninja's axiom of don't sign FA over 30. You'll get burned because that's when the soft-tissue starts to breakdown. Calais Campbell is 35 and was a sound investment for the Ravens for two seasons. Why not Akiem Hicks for the Chargers? If the argument that Calais is a physical freak, I would argue the same of Hicks. The folks in Chicago love this guy.

Akiem Hicks - Market Value, $5.5 million/offer 2-yr $11million dollar deal, he's a California boy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/calais-campbell-3941/cash-earnings/

Akiem Hicks contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/akiem-hicks-9899/market-value/

I consider Hicks to be the "Matt Feiler" equivalent in terms of dollars spent. The Chargers need a "Linsley type dollar" amount spent on defense. Thats a BJ Hill type for the interior or a CB

And they have the cap space - Popper laid it out very well about how much cap they have. He even included Derwin James

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I like him too but again he is a developing 4th-5th round TE. We have 3 of those, which means Parham would be our starter unless McKitty passes him in TC.
              I'd like a better option which is why I'm for a vet signing at TE.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I like him too but again he is a developing 4th-5th round TE. We have 3 of those, which means Parham would be our starter unless McKitty passes him in TC.
                I'd like a better option which is why I'm for a vet signing at TE.
                I agree about not needing another developing TE as have those already. And Anderson might be back. Zach Ertz could be a name - might just depend on how much he costs with your other needs. I would take Ertz over Njoku

I have read Austin Hooper might be released by the Browns. He might be a target at a decent price

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree about not needing another developing TE as have those already. And Anderson might be back. Zach Ertz could be a name - might just depend on how much he costs with your other needs. I would take Ertz over Njoku

I have read Austin Hooper might be released by the Browns. He might be a target at a decent price
                  Ertz seems to have something left in the tank and would be a big upgrade over Cook. If Parham comes back and with McKitty showing steady improvement over the season, that would be a solid TE group.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I'd prefer Ertz over Njoku as well. I ve been mentioning Ertz for weeks and there are others. Njoku isn't on my list. Don't care who his QB was. He underachieved and Hooper beat him out.
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Ertz seems to have something left in the tank and would be a big upgrade over Cook. If Parham comes back and with McKitty showing steady improvement over the season, that would be a solid TE group.
                      Ertz wife is from Arizona but her new Angel FC team is in the LA area.

Of course money will be important. My guess, Ertz will be a Cardinal or a Charger in 2022. And thats just based on the geography of he and his wife.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I liked the Popper article when I read it yesterday - but I tweeted him back that to maximize cap space, the Chargers should sign MW to a long term deal and not franchise. He said they can afford to do it it now as it will give them flexibility in the future. I disagreed because I think it eats up way too much cap space now when you can sign two more players with the difference between a $12m cap hit on a long term deal and $19m cap hit and worry about future cap space in the future as the cap should be going back up in 2023 so the best of both worlds. Also two years of Mike Williams at 35m guaranteed - why not just sign him to a long term deal already.

Second, I also disagree about Akiem Hicks if he is slated to be your STARTING IDL next too Justin Jones. If Bulaga, Harris, Cooks, Thomas Davis has proved one thing - older players tend to not be as consistent as they age. Combined with the higher risk for injury

Hicks as a second IDL signed for rotational depth - fine with it. But I think Telesco needs to think younger, more potential for long term success

But it was a good read and agreed with a lot of it
                        I really don't get the thinking that tagging MW makes any sense. Sign him to a reasonable contract or move on and spend the money elsewhere. If we tag him we don't commit long term but probably sacrifice the ability to sign a player or two this year. How does that help us? Are we really going to learn anything new about MW in the next year that we don't already know?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I really don't get the thinking that tagging MW makes any sense. Sign him to a reasonable contract or move on and spend the money elsewhere. If we tag him we don't commit long term but probably sacrifice the ability to sign a player or two this year. How does that help us? Are we really going to learn anything new about MW in the next year that we don't already know?
                          Yep.

We all should really like @darealmike_dub.

As stated, we must be cold,
                          because of JH10 and economics.

LAC knew Mike's tremendous upside, before they even drafted him.

We did not go long term last year, exercising the fifth year option...it's a sign...F-tag him and he will surely be gone after '22...historically inevitable.
                          Last edited by wu-dai clan; 01-27-2022, 12:17 PM. Reason: correct erroneous info !
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X