• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I really don't get the thinking that tagging MW makes any sense. Sign him to a reasonable contract or move on and spend the money elsewhere. If we tag him we don't commit long term but probably sacrifice the ability to sign a player or two this year. How does that help us? Are we really going to learn anything new about MW in the next year that we don't already know?
    I agree, it would be great to sign Mike to a long-term deal with a reasonable contract. Would not want to get into a bidding war on him if another team really wants him. He's a great receiver, but he's not a Hopkins or an Adams.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'd prefer Ertz over Njoku as well. I ve been mentioning Ertz for weeks and there are others. Njoku isn't on my list. Don't care who his QB was. He underachieved and Hooper beat him out.
      ​​​​​​
      I would look into either Eric Ebron or Gerald Everett. Ebron is still surprisingly younger at 29 and Everett was under utilized in Seattle. I think either of those could be value signings.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

I really don't get the thinking that tagging MW makes any sense. Sign him to a reasonable contract or move on and spend the money elsewhere. If we tag him we don't commit long term but probably sacrifice the ability to sign a player or two this year. How does that help us? Are we really going to learn anything new about MW in the next year that we don't already know?
        My cynical side of why the Chargers would want to tag Mike Williams
        1) it saves them from signing him to a long term deal - meaning a franchise tag is $19m but a long term deal would be $35m+ in guarantees - and if you write the contract correclty, his first year cap number could be say, $12m

2) if you have 7m of cap space tied up because "we tried to sign him long term but couldn't get a deal done so we franchised him" - that means you don't have 6-7m of cap space to use on players for the roster

In essence, franchising Mike Williams saves the Spanii over $20m in cash. And it gives the appearance of spending "to the cap" but we all know there are many ways to spend to the cap

This decision alone tells me if the Chargers are in it to win. I think today - the Chargers will
        franchise Mike Williams
        sign an older DT like Akiem Hicks to a Thomas Davis type cap friendly deal for IDL depth.
        Addres RT and CB in the draft

Bring back a lot of their players but really not be that much IMPROVED after free agency

Thats my expectations today - I totally agree though. Sign him to a long term deal or move on and use the money maybe on a big time CB and get a good solid WR or a ZAch Ertz at ET.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Why Fackrell? I would agree to signing help at Edge, but we need someone better than Fackrell.

Nwosu is the kind of player who I would look at as the swing edge player. But we need to upgrade the spot opposite Bosa. Singing Nwosu would give us a solid 3rd player to rotate with. If Rumph develops then the rotation is 2 deep. But I don't see a place for Fackrell.
          Popper obviously feels that if Nwosu is resigned, it’ll be as a starter opposite Bosa and not as a swing edge. Which means he probably feels that Fackrell is the swing edge who can also play ST.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I would look into either Eric Ebron or Gerald Everett. Ebron is still surprisingly younger at 29 and Everett was under utilized in Seattle. I think either of those could be value signings.
            Ebron might be worse than Cook. No thanks!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If you don't bring back Mike Williams - find a big time DB and Zach Ertz

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Hayden Hurst anybody? Not the fastest but seems to be the over the middle type TE they need at 6’4 260

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Safeties are tough to grade. I was the loud trumpet about Micah Parsons last January. Circumstances dictated the Chargers draft a superstar LT and not Parsons. No regrets.

I am planting a a stake in the ground. In 2022. Cine leap-frogged every safety in Daniel Jeremiah's pre-season rankings, but Hamilton. I understand I am repeating this ad nauseam, but watch the Nat. Champ game and come back and share who you honestly feel the best player on the field was.

Still got room for one more aboard the Cine train.

Scoot.jpeg
                  Parsons was off the board when we picked at 13.

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I completely agree. We already hurt ourselves by not resigning him last offseason. The other important thing to consider is that if he’s on the field, Herbert is going to make him look good. Especially if we upgrade the right side of our line, Herbert is gonna put up at least 4000 yards next year. I actually expect Herbert to continue to progress and be even better next year. Someone is gonna have to be on the receiving end of all these yards. MW is gonna put up stats. Do the deal, and build in something of an out after year 2. Even if he’s injured next year, we would likely want to bring him back.

Just remember another WR who kept getting bit by the injury bug early in his career (hint: he’s the second highest paid player on the team currently).

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If you don't bring back Mike Williams - find a big time DB and Zach Ertz
                      Would be great to keep Williams, but they already have Allen making 16m. Think Mike is going to get offers over 15m per season, probably closer to 20m per year avg. And even if you have the creative deal to make some years cap hit lower. It's a lot of money tied up in two WRs.

Don't think it's a good idea.
                      Think it's better idea to put that Williams money elsewhere like right side of OL, and Defense because Herbert with better protection and defense will be able to make all the plays you need.

Or maybe better to add 2 WRs for the cost of keeping Williams. Add speed and depth Kirk and Berrios guys who can also do punt return and get YAC. The offense has a lot of short routes designed to get ball to players quickly in space. Then you have Allen, Palmer who takes over Mike's spot, he is a good high point contested catch WR. Then you have Kirk and Berrios as 3 and 4. Plus it gives you returner depth too.

I don't know. Just think other areas or double up at WRs for depth could be the better way to spend that money. Than just all toward 1 player who is your WR2.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Hayden Hurst anybody? Not the fastest but seems to be the over the middle type TE they need at 6’4 260
                        I like this idea. First round pedigree, has had some injury problems, and should be able to be had for cheap. From his standpoint, it’s an ideal situation: he has a chance to start, and he’ll be catching passes from one of the top 5 QBs in the league. It’s not inconceivable that he puts up 800 yards and 8-10 TDs. I think he’s a decent blocking TE, and with those stats he’d be looking at a nice payday.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My cynical side of why the Chargers would want to tag Mike Williams
                          1) it saves them from signing him to a long term deal - meaning a franchise tag is $19m but a long term deal would be $35m+ in guarantees - and if you write the contract correclty, his first year cap number could be say, $12m

2) if you have 7m of cap space tied up because "we tried to sign him long term but couldn't get a deal done so we franchised him" - that means you don't have 6-7m of cap space to use on players for the roster

In essence, franchising Mike Williams saves the Spanii over $20m in cash. And it gives the appearance of spending "to the cap" but we all know there are many ways to spend to the cap

This decision alone tells me if the Chargers are in it to win. I think today - the Chargers will
                          franchise Mike Williams
                          sign an older DT like Akiem Hicks to a Thomas Davis type cap friendly deal for IDL depth.
                          Addres RT and CB in the draft

Bring back a lot of their players but really not be that much IMPROVED after free agency

Thats my expectations today - I totally agree though. Sign him to a long term deal or move on and use the money maybe on a big time CB and get a good solid WR or a ZAch Ertz at ET.
                          Agree with last paragraph.
                          He has been here 5 years. They know who he is and what he can do. Franchise tag IMO is stupid. Give him a 4 year deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X