• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Additionally, I think the Chargers should use the franchise tag on Williams. That would be a one-year contract for $19.127 million. At minimum, this would give the Chargers a few extra months to negotiate a long-term extension. If that does not materialize, it would be a hefty one-year cap hit for Williams, who is coming off a career season. But they have the space to incur the hit, and it would provide them with flexibility next offseason if Williams cannot replicate his production. - Popper

This is a feast of information, Thank you, Xenos.

This is an explosive subject and I want to be careful, Popper adds the correct qualifier about the franchise tag + Mike Will, IMO. With that last line.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Mahomes is going to Kelce because he is one of the better receivers in football, regardless of position.

I agree adding a good/great TE is a good idea, but this may not be the draft to do it. You don't get good or great TE in every draft, and there are fewer and fewer good players coming out of college at the TE position. We may have to rely on guys like McKitty and Parham developing once they get to the Chargers.
      TE is a position I hope we sign a vet, not draft this year.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

James played five different positions in the defense this season. - Daniel Popper

IMHO, Lewis patrols one half of the field, Derwin the other, either can blitz, drop, or cover. Adderley drops pre-snap into a cover-two shell,
        in a DIME, with S Alohi Gilman. This frees up DJ to move, be a better STAR and ROBBER in secondary.

33.0.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Additionally, I think the Chargers should use the franchise tag on Williams. That would be a one-year contract for $19.127 million. At minimum, this would give the Chargers a few extra months to negotiate a long-term extension. If that does not materialize, it would be a hefty one-year cap hit for Williams, who is coming off a career season. But they have the space to incur the hit, and it would provide them with flexibility next offseason if Williams cannot replicate his production. - Popper

This is a feast of information, Thank you, Xenos.

This is an explosive subject and I want to be careful, Popper adds the correct qualifier about the franchise tag + Mike Will, IMO. With that last line.
          Don't agree with Popper.

MW has shown to produce when he is thrown to. He had a career high in targets which led to career high in receptions, yards and 1 shy of tying his career high for TDs and tied for first in the league with 40+ pass plays with 9.
          Staley loves him and so does Telesco.

Sign him to a 4 year deal.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

TE is a position I hope we sign a vet, not draft this year.
            I see where you're going with this, I think, but I know I'm in agreement. It took forever to get Hunter Henry to get to a reliable weapon, and I want production out-of-the-box. So that's a free agent.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

James played five different positions in the defense this season. - Daniel Popper

IMHO, Lewis patrols one half of the field, Derwin the other, either can blitz, drop, or cover. Adderley drops pre-snap into a cover-two shell,
              in a DIME, with S Alohi Gilman. This frees up DJ to move, be a better STAR and ROBBER in secondary.

33.0.png
              So you play 4 Safeties in your defensive scheme? Interesting …
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Don't agree with Popper.

MW has shown to produce when he is thrown to. He had a career high in targets which led to career high in receptions, yards and 1 shy of tying his career high for TDs and tied for first in the league with 40+ pass plays with 9.

It's a solid argument. I would not be disappointed if a long-term deal got done. That's be terrific! But....no one knows what Mike wants.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

It's a solid argument. I would not be disappointed if a long-term deal got done. That's be terrific! But....no one knows what Mike wants.
                  True I suppose but.... Mike did say he hopes they get a deal done because he doesn't like change and has solid friendships on this team.
                  So seeing that, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a number he likes.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I see where you're going with this, I think, but I know I'm in agreement. It took forever to get Hunter Henry to get to a reliable weapon, and I want production out-of-the-box. So that's a free agent.
                    Yes, we have 3 developing TEs already. Ertz could provide a vet pressense for a couple years.
                    OJ Howard didn't get a lot of playing time when Gronk came aboard so he shouldnt be beat up.

There are a few others as well.

In the 2024 draft I really like TE Brock Bowers who was a true freshman at Georgia. He called as a freshman.and will only get better but probably will be a top 15 pick by then.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-26-2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

So you play 4 Safeties in your defensive scheme? Interesting …
                      It was odd, back in 2001, I was a mod here and all the Flutie people descended on the Chargers forum, and if you thought the followers of Elvis or Jesus Christ were intense, well, you say anything about Flutie, ....it got pretty ugly. But 20 years later, the amount of draft talk here is superb, second to none.

I started my evaluations in November, as I do every year, as it eases the blow to the inevitable flame-out the Chargers suffer. I expected a one-and-done, but our RT had the worst game of the season in a must-have game. That is how that OT Raiders game was lost, as I see it. My Opinion.

I believe that what the Chargers need is coverage skills of LBers and TEs, and better speed and decision-making and sharper tackling from the LBers and DBs. The Chiefs OT win against the Chargers happened because DJ was on the sideline in the 4th Quarter and OT. Kelsey killed us, IMO.

This pick is help for DJ. This is a clone of DJ. This move frees up DJ. And our coverage downfield and physicality at the LOS, is enhanced.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Also Covington? And why no Parham?
                        Parham may still be under contract somehow. He may also think Covington is decent depth.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Don't agree with Popper.

Maybe injury concerns like with Henry?

Comment

Working...
                          X