• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Need to know you can coach some of that meanness out of Penning, he’s often penalized and just won’t get off his man (who he’s destroying) after the whistle. Have to admit I want that on Crosby though. Bernard Raimann is raw, developmental but more athletically gifted, but Chargers need someone that wins starting role day one @ RT.
    ILB Nakobe Dean all the way, if length holds Telesco back fine with Devin Lloyd. Biggest hole imo.
    True. IDL, CB, maybe its LB.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Critty, you and I are often in lock step but not this time. You worry about having two high paid WR's but look around the league, a lot of teams have two high paid WR's. If they can handle it, why can't the Bolts?

If I had to let one go to FA, I'd sooner let Allen go. He's 30 years old now and has started having trouble catching the ball. Williams is the one that gets free deep, not Allen. But, I see no reason they can't keep both of them. Take away either of them and you've taken away one of Herbert's favorite targets. Don't handicap our great young QB.

I say, pay Williams, add a decent RT and sign Aboushi. Spend everything else on the defense.
      100%
      and I'd add RB2 to take 10 to 15 handoffs a game
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

The question is - what FA's will we sign, both ours and others. Once that question is answered we can make an educated guess about the draft.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          Pipkins looked like he's ready to step up.
          That’s a huge question. If he can play RT and be average or better, I say that’s a win and move on to other positions of need.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

That’s a huge question. If he can play RT and be average or better, I say that’s a win and move on to other positions of need.
            He did in 1 game, likewise LT in his most recent games.
            I know he looked lousy previously but "Most Recent" means he deserves consideration. What he did for us lately was to play well.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I really don't get the thinking that tagging MW makes any sense. Sign him to a reasonable contract or move on and spend the money elsewhere. If we tag him we don't commit long term but probably sacrifice the ability to sign a player or two this year. How does that help us? Are we really going to learn anything new about MW in the next year that we don't already know?
              Until we know what Mike Will wants - there isn't a person on a planet who doesn't want a market-value long-term deal for Mike - it's a never-ending mobius loop.

Comment

• Scottbbo1
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Folsom, Ca
                • Send PM

I still don't understand why they didn't put Pipkins in at RT when Storm was getting utterly destroyed in the raider game.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Scottbbo1 View Post
                  I still don't understand why they didn't put Pipkins in at RT when Storm was getting utterly destroyed in the raider game.
                  Yep...and I ALSO still don't understand why Lombo didn't dial up more blocking and chipping help for Storm...

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                    I liked the Popper article when I read it yesterday - but I tweeted him back that to maximize cap space, the Chargers should sign MW to a long term deal and not franchise. He said they can afford to do it it now as it will give them flexibility in the future. I disagreed because I think it eats up way too much cap space now when you can sign two more players with the difference between a $12m cap hit on a long term deal and $19m cap hit and worry about future cap space in the future as the cap should be going back up in 2023 so the best of both worlds. Also two years of Mike Williams at 35m guaranteed - why not just sign him to a long term deal already.

Second, I also disagree about Akiem Hicks if he is slated to be your STARTING IDL next too Justin Jones. If Bulaga, Harris, Cooks, Thomas Davis has proved one thing - older players tend to not be as consistent as they age. Combined with the higher risk for injury

Hicks as a second IDL signed for rotational depth - fine with it. But I think Telesco needs to think younger, more potential for long term success

But it was a good read and agreed with a lot of it
                    Great read, so much to chat about. Gavino Borquez and Daniel Popper have now both published pieces with Hicks being the #1 guy, and there was news of Staley keeping tabs on Hicks up until the trade deadlines. I see smoke, I anticipate fire.

Bulaga player comparison has been presented to me, Bulaga had back surgery before he came here. Bulaga simply signed a contract he couldn't live up to. IMO, the better player comparison is Calais Campbell. He was an EXCELLENT signing by Baltimore, at age 33. Calais is now 35 and considering his options. Point I've made in vain is 'The larger the man....the longer the league life span'. Jason Peters, also of monstrous size, is 39. Akiem is 31 now. He wants one more contract. He's said so.

Unlike Mike Williams, I know what Hicks wants and his market value.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...w-akiem-hicks/

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Great read, so much to chat about. Gavino Borquez and Daniel Popper have now both published pieces with Hicks being the #1 guy, and there was news of Staley keeping tabs on Hicks up until the trade deadlines. I see smoke, I anticipate fire.

Bulaga player comparison has been presented to me, Bulaga had back surgery before he came here. Bulaga simply signed a contract he couldn't live up to. IMO, the better player comparison is Calais Campbell. He was an EXCELLENT signing by Baltimore, at age 33. Calais is now 35 and considering his options. Point I've made in vain is 'The larger the man....the longer the league life span'. Jason Peters, also of monstrous size, is 39. Akiem is 32. He wants one more contract. He's said so.

Unlike Mike Williams, I know what Hicks wants and his market value.

Hicks is a very popular name. And I can see him being signed. I just would prefer a younger possibly ascending player or a player that might sustain a level of play for the next 2-3 year.

Thomas Davis, Bulaga, Harris, Cook and Joseph. I get Joseph was balling pre-Covid but at his age, one would think an injury or illness would probably affect him more than a younger player

Just because you get him for 12/2 say as opposed to BJ Hill 36/4 - the younger player might be worth it.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

All these possibilities has my head spinning waiting for the time we find out the moves happening. I’m on the fence about Big Mike, one good year out of five. And yes, if they can absorb paying two wr top dollars than do it. My trade off with letting 81 leave, is what position or positions we can upgrade with that money. Getting a top secondary player would be huge.

That mention of Cline has me dreaming. At 17, you need an impact player, day one. The thoughts of 2 D. James back there, is insane.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Hicks is a very popular name. And I can see him being signed. I just would prefer a younger possibly ascending player or a player that might sustain a level of play for the next 2-3 year.

Thomas Davis, Bulaga, Harris, Cook and Joseph. I get Joseph was balling pre-Covid but at his age, one would think an injury or illness would probably affect him more than a younger player

Just because you get him for 12/2 say as opposed to BJ Hill 36/4 - the younger player might be worth it.
                          That signing party is gonna be hot. Staley and Hicks (and me in the window) in party hats.

Hicks.png

Comment

Working...
                          X