• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Defense and special teams were the story of Saturday’s games.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I find it hard to believe the 49ers and Bengals are going to their championship games, and the Chargers couldn't even get into the playoffs.

The Niners were 3-5 at the midpoint and had lost 5 of 6 games, including 4 straight.

The Bengals, like the Chargers, started out 4-1, then went 4-4 in mid-season, including back to back losses twice (including the Bolts and 49ers in consecutive weeks), then finished 4-1, if you can count the week 17 game where they rested their starters as a real loss.

I feel the Chargers could beat either of these teams, and in fact beat the Bengals in Cincinnati, and both are playing next week for a right to go to the Super Bowl. Getting into the playoffs was an important part of Herbert's development. Burrow is getting that experience while Herbert is not.

Staley was a pretty big disappointment in his first year. If the Chargers miss the playoffs again next season the Spanoses should clean house - fire Telesco and Staley - and start over.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I find it hard to believe the 49ers and Bengals are going to their championship games, and the Chargers couldn't even get into the playoffs.

The Niners were 3-5 at the midpoint and had lost 5 of 6 games, including 4 straight.

The Bengals, like the Chargers, started out 4-1, then went 4-4 in mid-season, including back to back losses twice (including the Bolts and 49ers in consecutive weeks), then finished 4-1, if you can count the week 17 game where they rested their starters as a real loss.

I feel the Chargers could beat either of these teams, and in fact beat the Bengals in Cincinnati, and both are playing next week for a right to go to the Super Bowl. Getting into the playoffs was an important part of Herbert's development. Burrow is getting that experience while Herbert is not.

Staley was a pretty big disappointment in his first year. If the Chargers miss the playoffs again next season the Spanoses should clean house - fire Telesco and Staley - and start over.
        Still SMH at the way the end of this season played out. Losing to the Texans and Raiders? Forget about better than the Bengals, etc. they couldn’t beat the Texans or Raiders when they needed to. Colossal failure by Staley

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Sometimes luck plays an important role. We could have easily switched places with either team and be in the playoffs instead. It is what it is. Just got to load up on defense and ST this offseason, and build depth on the OL.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Honestly, after watching the Bengals more, I think Zac Taylor has been a pretty lucky so far and has overcome his coaching short comings because of that luck
            as well as Burrow. Some of the decisions against the Raiders and Titans were Lynn like. And the playcalling was really bad yesterday. You shouldn’t be letting your QB get sacked 9 times.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

It's about how you finish and they are finishing strong. We were inconsistent and the defense was the culprit of inconsistency.
              That is the bottom line. The Niners defense is a lot better than ours and why I say that needs to be fixed more than the offense.

Yes we need a RT and better OL depth and another RB but the defense needs a lot lf we want to be where the Niners and Bengals are.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Honestly, after watching the Bengals more, I think Zac Taylor has been a pretty lucky so far and has overcome his coaching short comings because of that luck
                as well as Burrow. Some of the decisions against the Raiders and Titans were Lynn like. And the playcalling was really bad yesterday. You shouldn’t be letting your QB get sacked 9 times.
                Burrow is a stud and I loved him coming out but wasn't willing to part with massive amount of picks to get him and Cinci wouldn't have anyways.

Herbert has been much better early than I anticipated so very happy where he is.

We will get there. We got lots of FA money and the draft to fix the D and I hope we steal the Bengals BJ Hill for one.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  It's about how you finish and they are finishing strong.
                  This absolutely. The Chargers started 4-1 and finished 1-4. It's the strong finishers that seem to go far in the post-season.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Yep...ESPECIALLY if Staley makes a few bonehead game day decisions that lose us games and keep us out of the playoffs...

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Still SMH at the way the end of this season played out. Losing to the Texans and Raiders? Forget about better than the Bengals, etc. they couldn’t beat the Texans or Raiders when they needed to. Colossal failure by Staley
                      Absolutely right. I'll give Staley one more season to show he is not in over his head, but I do have my doubts right now. It didn't really register with me, until his post-season remarks, that it was Telesco who pursued Staley and believes, apparently, that he is some sort of boy wonder. If turns out his judgment was that bad, Telesco needs to go.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
                        Please PLEASE do NOT let Burrow make it to the Super Bowl. I do NOT want another QB from our drafted QB class to win a Super Bowl before our guy does. This potential history repeating itself is getting rather sickening.
                        I don't know why this notion - that Burrow makes it to/wins the SB - is such any agony for some. If we had been drafting 1st in the year that Burrow was coming out of college we would have picked him over Herbert without question. In other words, it's not like we passed on Burrow to take Herbert and are now second guessing ourselves...again.

Burrow, by all accounts, is a class guy; and a really good young QB. I don't begrudge him any success.

If it makes you feel any better, had Cincy taken Herbert with the #1 pick and we drafted Burrow at #6, Herbert would probably be playing in the AFC Championship game next week. It's a TEAM game. And Cincy is a better team, on balance, than the Chargers right now.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I don't know why this notion - that Burrow makes it to/wins the SB - is such any agony for some. If we had been drafting 1st in the year that Burrow was coming out of college we would have picked him over Herbert without question. In other words, it's not like we passed on Burrow to take Herbert and are now second guessing ourselves...again.

Burrow, by all accounts, is a class guy; and a really good young QB. I don't begrudge him any success.

If it makes you feel any better, had Cincy taken Herbert with the #1 pick and we drafted Burrow at #6, Herbert would probably be playing in the AFC Championship game next week. It's a TEAM game. And Cincy is a better team, on balance, than the Chargers right now.
                          I agree with this whole-heartedly. Except I don't believe the Bengals are better than the Chargers, but they are better coached.

Comment

Working...
                          X