• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltaction
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    Norv Turner the offensive coordinator I've always respected. I just always felt he was a dismal head coach.
    He was a bad head coach, but as a OC he can coach.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
      I'll go ahead and disagree with this completely.

I'm not gonna type several explanations of why on this phone keyboard, but I'll try a few:

IMHO, it is a complex combination of HC and scheme, acquiring the best player personnel a team can within the rules of the league, making sure that personnel fits a given scheme (or adjusting the scheme to what you have in a current season) and then the preparing of the players for PROPER PLAYER EXECUTION on the field.

Anyone one of us can provide an argument over which one of the above elements is more important, but it certainly doesn't begin and end with just one element. Good lord.

Does the team take on the personality of the HC to a certain degree? Absolutely. Can he do it (win consistently) without good to great players - players that execute and make plays at critical times? Hardly.

Bill Walsh: great coach, innovator and cerebral some would say. How many SBs would he have won without Montana. One? Two? Didn't Seifert win with a roster close to what Walsh had?

Jimmy Johnson: won two SBs. Then left the egomaniac Jerrah. That coach from Alabama came in and won with virtually the same personnel. I think in his first year. Coaching?

Ditka: hard ass, motivator, tough guy who demanded respect from players. Won SB with an insane D and ok QB. Went to New Orleans. Sucked ass. Why did he suck so much ass? Don't tell me it was just the one Ricky trade.

Pete Carrol: been to multiple NFCCGs, won a SB, lost a SB. You think his rah rah style will automatically turn, say, Jacksonvile or Oakland around? Would he have won much without that DC and excellent players on D?

Billipuke: how many without the Golden Asshole? (Or stealthy filming crew?)

I did no research, just going off memory, so I could (and probably) be inaccurate in some of the items above, but my point remains: the HC is very, very important. But if you don't have the horses that can execute your scheme and out play your opponent more often than not, you're not gonna win at this level. No matter how creative, or motivating or inspiring.

A complex game (or any complex issue, really) cannot be summed up or solved simply, or in a single sentence. IMHO.
      Walsh won because his white-collar criminal owner spent the most money. The 49ers bought our defense.

The Cheater cheats.

No respect for either as a coach.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
        I guess my biggest problem is that there are people here that don't understand that their is certainly better coaching talent out there than who we have now. 3 years on the job and the guy still throws bricks in his own mouth under pressure. Oh and by the way is a super arrogant asshole, arrogance in which he hasn't even earned the respect to have.

New England traded for a coach and won 4 superbowls, coaching matters.
        New England cheats. It hasn't won shit.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          A coach doesn't have to be aggressive all the time but you can't play that scared either. At some point, you have to play to win, not "not to lose".

If McCoy thought it would be better just to regroup for the 2nd half, that's fine with me because they weren't playing well at all up to that point. But you gotta call a time out and at least make them punt. I can't recall the last time I saw another coach do something like that.
          You don't win in the first half. You could lose in the first half though.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
            If you're talking about me, I'm just trying to calmly explain my take on the reaction to the coaching on Sunday. My reply is really my opinion without emotion. Didn't really think I'm being confrontational.
            But if I'm overreacting, I'll take it - I've been called worse
            Not talking about you my friend. I just can't believe the non-stop bitch fest about everything is still going on.

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I just can't believe the non-stop bitch fest about everything is still going on.
              was it any different than years past after a loss? or is it just McCoy that is off limits from any kind of discussion? because this is year 3 of this era and some of you people make it sound like anything McCoy does can't be talked about (unless it's always positive) and posters should just wait until he is officially no longer on the team to even begin just pointing stuff out.

Comment

• Charged up
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
                I think the head coach and TT can fix things quickly if they will just try. The question is, is McCoy in a holding pattern, with the things the way they are. We will see in the next game. If he doesn't fix things now Norv Turner and the Vikings will stomp this team into the ground.
                Boltaction is like the grumpy smurf of the forum.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                  was it any different than years past after a loss? or is it just McCoy that is off limits from any kind of discussion? because this is year 3 of this era and some of you people make it sound like anything McCoy does can't be talked about (unless it's always positive) and posters should just wait until he is officially no longer on the team to even begin just pointing stuff out.
                  What I don't really get is why are people calling out McCoy now?

Just because he didn't take a time out at the end of the half? That didn't lose the game for us. The players didn't execute well. Muffed punts, dropped passes, dropped interceptions. That's what lost the game for us.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Dude, McCoy miss so meny blocks Sunday! He is worse than Cortney Van Buran!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                      Not sure anyone hear said McCoy is off limits. I certainly don't think he is a perfect coach, but I clearly disagree with the whining about virtually everything about him now. IMO, with the amount of injuries we had last year, we should have been looking at around a 6-10 record. McCoy kept everyone fighting, duct taped an offensive line together and somehow we were playing for a playoff spot in week 17. That was a hell of a coaching job. We lost a game to a team that has 4 straight playoff appearances and likely will win their division again, at their place, and suddenly it's like the end of the world happened. Newsflash, virtually everyone outside of this board expected us to lose.

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                        Walsh won because his white-collar criminal owner spent the most money. The 49ers bought our defense.

The Cheater cheats.

No respect for either as a coach.
                        No they didn't....Fred Dean was traded for.

There was no such thing as free agency in the NFL back then. Blame stupid ownership/management on the Chargers side for that blunder.
                        sigpic

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

I have felt McCoy was bad at in game management strategy for awhile now. I am convinced now he will never change. I don't believe this guy can win the big one the way he coaches on gameday.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X