Better beat the steelers and packers next
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      How about a little acknowledgement for the job McCoy and his staff did this past week?
      We're still in the process of lowering our expectations to a realistic level. Once that's done you'll see some praise.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        Praise for McCoy isn't allowed around here.
        I think there's a lot of hyper-sensitive people here regarding McCoy. Speaking for myself, I defended him staunchly for two seasons - I knew we had to get the stench of Norv out of here and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt fully. He got them into the playoffs year 1, and last year they missed out with a very weakly played final game in Arrowhead. The team looked like it just wanted the season to be done.

I don't think it's unfair at all to put MM under the microscope this year. We as fans, especially in light of the LA situation (though I'm beginning to believe more and more that the Chargers WILL be in SD in 2016) want a winner now. Yeah, there are a lot of injuries but every team goes through injuries. Results in the W-L is all that counts. Right now they're 2-2. Not too bad considering the injuries, but there is still room for improvement.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the fans to criticize MM this year.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Yep its open season on McCoy, imo open season on Telesco starts next season.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

IMO, I believe he has done about as good as possible given what he had to work with. His first year he had a team with limited talent, yet somehow we won a playoff game. Last year, we were in it until the final game despite a team ravaged by injuries. This year, the injuries have been even worse so far. All teams deal with injuries, but we've had ridiculous amounts of them and he has kept the team together. He isn't perfect and people will always question his conservative nature, which is fine. But these over the top comments about him being the worst coach in the history of the NFL are just stupid. I'd like to see how his team would do with a "normal" number of injuries though a season - I'm hoping we get that the second half of this year.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              IMO, I believe he has done about as good as possible given what he had to work with. His first year he had a team with limited talent, yet somehow we won a playoff game. Last year, we were in it until the final game despite a team ravaged by injuries. This year, the injuries have been even worse so far. All teams deal with injuries, but we've had ridiculous amounts of them and he has kept the team together. He isn't perfect and people will always question his conservative nature, which is fine. But these over the top comments about him being the worst coach in the history of the NFL are just stupid. I'd like to see how his team would do with a "normal" number of injuries though a season - I'm hoping we get that the second half of this year.
              Ok, I must've missed the comments about "worst coach in NFL history". I've seen a few posters wanting him fired (one dates back to MM's first season, he even started a thread about it), but I don't recall anyone saying he was the worst in NFL history. We've had Kevin Gilbride if you want a contender for worst ever.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I think he's done a good job the first two years, but I want to see improvement in the process. Adaptation, added texture to the team that comes with stability.... Haven't seen it yet, but there are signs.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

He didn't waste the TOs at the end of the half this time. The defense would up letting McCown walk all over them after failing to stop them on 3rd down but he made the right call and apparently learned from his mistake the previous week so there is hope.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

He didn't waste the TOs at the end of the half this time. The defense would up letting McCown walk all over them after failing to stop them on 3rd down but he made the right call and apparently learned from his mistake the previous week so there is hope.
                    I wouldn't be so sure - if he had not used the timeouts and instead played it conservatively, they likely don't score that fg. That's the problem with being aggressive - it can hurt you as well as help you.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      I wouldn't be so sure - if he had not used the timeouts and instead played it conservatively, they likely don't score that fg. That's the problem with being aggressive - it can hurt you as well as help you.
                      Then you're just second guessing everything he does. That was the right call to me. The defense has to make that stop on 3rd down.

The coach can make all the right moves but at some point the players have to execute.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Then you're just second guessing everything he does. That was the right call to me. The defense has to make that stop on 3rd down.

The coach can make all the right moves but at some point the players have to execute.
                        It's not that I am second guessing him here as I agreed with the approach here. I bring it up because he gets ripped to shreds for being conservative, yet if he had been conservative in this case, they likely don't get a fg. There is a risk/reward by being agressive and it doesn't always pay off.

Comment

• BoltBalls
                          Always keep eye contact!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SD!
                          • Send PM

For the most part I feel better about the coach and team making aggressive moves and failing rather than conservative moves and failing, as long as the aggressive moves aren't stupid (the Weddle fake punt last year comes to mind).

Comment

Working...
                          X