• Show
Clear All
  • floydefisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • siberiacuse, ny
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Stan Kroenke. Now that is what an owner with a true commitment to winning looks like. I’m a fan.

Why would anyone in LA be a Charger’s fan when this great owner is there?
    I'll remember you said that then the Lambs are in a shambles in a few years because of all the draft picks they frittered away to get aging stars like Matthew Stafford and Von Miller.

Just give it a year or two, and you will see how right I am.
    sigpic

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
      Or do the Rams have to win a Superbowl first? Kinda seems like we're the Clippers of the NFL or the New York Jets of LA at this point... Can we go back to San Diego?
      I missed the fighting part. I hope the little guy is okay.

Comment

• SK21209
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

The Chargers/Rams situation is not comparable to the Clippers/Lakers dynamic, the Lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in the history of American pro sports. Something like half of the top 15ish players in the history of the NBA have played for the Lakers. Even if the Rams win the Super Bowl this year they are not the Lakers. There are more Rams fans in LA than Chargers fans and the Rams seem to be gaining more notoriety in LA, but they're not anywhere close to popular enough to drown out the Chargers like the Lakers do to the Clippers.

Herbert is the key to this moving forward. A young, exciting, elite-level player can go a long way in growing/reviving a fanbase (just look at Burrow in Cincy). Despite them losing yesterday Mahomes/the Chiefs are still going to be the boogeyman in the league for a while, if Herbert is the guy going toe-to-toe with them twice a year and coming out on top a reasonable amount of the time you'll see the Chargers make gains in LA. Plus our merch/branding are way better than the Rams.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post

I'll remember you said that then the Lambs are in a shambles in a few years because of all the draft picks they frittered away to get aging stars like Matthew Stafford and Von Miller.

Just give it a year or two, and you will see how right I am.
          You are confusing me with someone else or misinterpreting what I posted. The Rams are not in shambles now or potentially next year either. But the time will come, sooner rather than later.

I’m a fan of mortgaging the future for a better now in football. Be great now and win a championship, suck later and rebuild with top draft picks. It’s a better way than the Bolts moving between the 10th and 18th best team in football. Never get the top picks, never get the championships.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

I suppose we’ll see next season when the Chargers have a “home” game against the Rams

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

There never seems to be any sense of urgency within the organization.
              Telesco & the Spanos have been put on notice: their overly cautious bean counter approach is no longer acceptable.

Doesn't mean they will get the message. They are more comfortable focusing their energy on weeding out traitors within the organization,
              and deliberating until the cows come home on anything and everything.

It took them 3 days to sign Andre Roberts, even though they had no punt /kickoff returner.
              It took them almost a week to sign Hopkins, even though they were frightened to send Viscaiano out there.
              Fans were begging them to bring in a vet DT or RT or cornerback....they stood pat even though their rivals in the division, with weighty QB contracts,
              were still maneuvering to bring in help up to the cutoff date.

They had more contract money leaving than coming in last year, even though they had a franchise qb in his rookie contract.
              Their so called rival in L.A. keeps on making bold moves, and the Ram's Super Bowl opponent spent a ton of money in free agency to booster a shaky D.
              We have been warned forever that the Rams day of reckoning is soon coming;
              no one now sees this day happening until Herbert's rookie contract runs out.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                They had more contract money leaving than coming in last year, even though they had a franchise qb in his rookie contract.
                This one sentence says it all. For the love of all that is holy, you have maybe the most talented QB in football, a once in a life time prospect, and you fail to bolster the roster to support him?

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Rams still don't sell out. 8 think yesterday it was a 50/50 crowd so they still don't support the Rams well.
                  Kroenke just wanted the TV revenue.

Dean the same.
                  I here ya. Times have changed. In the old days when games were not on TV(remember those)...turnout was better. Now, its easy to just stay home and beat the crowd, of you have a ticket sell it and make some money for next year. A lot of people would not sell their tickets if the game was not televised...just my take.

The Rams did lose some support when they left, and it was picked up by the Radahs. But its there.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Send PM

Keeping it 100% honest and my personal subjective experience/observations while living here - the Rams are closer to being LA's team vs the Chargers.

No copium talk. It is what it is.

If you give a Los Angeles native their choice to pick between only both franchises I'm confident they'll pick the Rams.

The culture, the music, the Los Angeles native celebrities who show up to their games, etc. It really seems to fit with LA more and people recognize that.
                    Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 01-31-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post
                      "Fight for LA" was a slogan. It really meant nothing. Spanos did not come to LA to create a winner. He just wanted a stadium financed by somebody else.

The best proof that he is not all that interested in winning was his decision to hire Anthony Lynn in 2017. Anthony Lynn was unfit to be the Chargers coach, but it made the NFL happy. It made the Colin Kaepernick crowd happy to see a man of color in authority. Anthony Lynn wanted to tear the team down and rebuild it so that he could coach it. The Chargers were poised to go on a winning streak when they arrived in LA, but this decision damaged whatever chances they had.

I expect these kinds of decisions to continue
                      What are you talking about? We were never poised to go on a winning streak when we arrived in LA. We were 5-11 the year before.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Everybody likes a winner. If Rams keep winning and Chargers keep being mediocre, maybe I’ll switch to the Rams as well.

about time Spanos earn loyalty versus what was bestowed based on geography.

Comment

• Nunc Coepi
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

I'll repeat it. The Chargers were poised to become a formidable AFC team in 2017. They had Bosa, Derwin James and Rivers. They had Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler.They were as good then as they are now.

The missing ingredient was a coach. With McCoy gone, Spanos should have hired a coach who could coach the team as it was then.

Instead, the Chargers got Anthony Lynn who wanted to tear the team down. Then he wanted to rebuild into a run-first team, which he was capable of coaching.

This is the kind of idiotic decisionin the front office that will continue to undermine the Chargers

Comment

Working...
                          X