• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

With the mocks I have, Penning is between the 20 and 25th pick in the 2022 draft.
    If the Chargers pick him at 17, it will be because they really like the fit.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Sounds like you would support a trade down netting us a total of ....a lot of picks this year. Probably should trade some for future 2023 picks.
      Trade down is my 1st choice.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        Huge fan of Davis...but regardless of the rumors about the Bolts really liking him, (smoke?) not sure he is a Staley guy...I would put my money on Wyatt over Davis if they both happen to be at 17.

Dont get me wrong...totally think this so called Big Lazy talk is garbage...but I could see him settling into his career as more of a 2 gap block eater...which is valuable in some schemes(Vea and the Bucs) I think Staley prefers a more aggressive, penetrating defense...I dont see Davis being that athletic 3 years down the road...but Wyatt will be...just a hunch.
        I am quietly rooting for Wyatt to fall to us.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Trade down is my 1st choice.
          :facepalm1::facepalm1:ity::umno::mcnugget:

There's no reason to go back-fill mode with extra picks.

We are going all in for a ring this year.

Oh Nick Bosa is a free agent next year. Max out the cap for a Bosa Bros & Mack attack. :dunno::cartman:
          Last edited by SuperCharged; 03-25-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• AL9000
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2022
            • San Diego, CA
            • Send PM

Davis > Penning but I would personally go with Olave or Williamson if either are there. I hate the idea of drafting purely for need, especially in the 1st round. Take a playmaker, game changer.

Comment

• AL9000
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2022
              • San Diego, CA
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I am quietly rooting for Wyatt to fall to us.
              I think Wyatt could end up being the best defensive player in this draft.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not see Davis as Big Lazy like Gaither was. Gaither did not want to play football, but he wanted money, so he went all out for 5 games in 2012 and overemphasized the first minor injury he had so he could get the money without playing.

I see Davis as a gifted player that may lack some discipline in part because he is so gifted (allowing him to get away with a lack of discipline). He has acknowledged playing with his weight around 360 or so. His weight does not look like good weight at 340. He should be all the way down to about 325 pounds, maybe even less, to maximize his ability to make plays and to remain on the field. His stamina is in question. It is difficult to be a even a two-down player when you can only average one down played per full series of downs. In that respect, Davis frustrates me as a draft candidate.

The ability is there to be a very good NFL player, but where is the weight control and conditioning? Would it be better to have a player that is 90-95% as good as Davis in Travis Jones that is clearly in good shape and able to stay on the field?

I do not necessarily disagree with your take as to Wyatt either, but I sure hope we do not take him at 1-17. That seems like a significant reach to me.
                I think you will find few who believe Wyatt is a reach at 17...let alone a significant reach. I think it's 50/50 he even makes it to 17.

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

I think you will find few who believe Wyatt is a reach at 17...let alone a significant reach. I think it's 50/50 he even makes it to 17.
                  I have seen big boards that have him as a second round player. A consensus big board that I just looked at has him at #29 overall. I think he will make it to #17 and maybe even into round 2. I do think he is a reach at #17 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

:facepalm1::facepalm1:ity::umno::mcnugget:

There's no reason to go back-fill mode with extra picks.

We are going all in for a ring this year.

Oh Nick Bosa is a free agent next year. Max out the cap for a Bosa Bros & Mack attack. :dunno::cartman:
                    A trade back could pick us up and extra second round or third round pick. It makes sense to do it if the player(s) the team wants at #17 are off the board and the team's next best available choices are not expected to come off the board until later in the draft. In that scenario, the team likely gets the player it wants anyway and gets an extra draft pick by being aggressive.

If we are passing on players we like at #17, then the trade back is more of a mixed bag of a transaction.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I have seen big boards that have him as a second round player. A consensus big board that I just looked at has him at #29 overall. I think he will make it to #17 and maybe even into round 2. I do think he is a reach at #17 overall.
                      Can't argue your logic....I have used the consensus board myself in another arguement in this forum....but I will say this. Staley and Telesco both put a premium on players that fit their system, and fit their culture...there are also teams that fall in love with certain prospects, and other teams yet that build their boards off of need....my point being that Wyatt may be a top 20 prospect on some teams boards, making 17 not really a reach. I have seen some mocks, also, that have him going to us, and before us...if we pick Wyatt, I am certain it won't be a reach in TT or Staley's eyes.

I have never really believed a pick is a reach, until they prove it by not playing up to their draft position....and yes, TT has a few of those, to be fair. (Tillery, Pipkens) But if we pick Wyatt, it's because Staley is banging the table saying he is perfect for us...I would be very happy with the pick.
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Guys always drop…which means some will go higher than projected.

Comment

Can't argue your logic....I have used the consensus board myself in another arguement in this forum....but I will say this. Staley and Telesco both put a premium on players that fit their system, and fit their culture...there are also teams that fall in love with certain prospects, and other teams yet that build their boards off of need....my point being that Wyatt may be a top 20 prospect on some teams boards, making 17 not really a reach. I have seen some mocks, also, that have him going to us, and before us...if we pick Wyatt, I am certain it won't be a reach in TT or Staley's eyes.

I have never really believed a pick is a reach, until they prove it by not playing up to their draft position....and yes, TT has a few of those, to be fair. (Tillery, Pipkens) But if we pick Wyatt, it's because Staley is banging the table saying he is perfect for us...I would be very happy with the pick.
                          I agree that all teams have different big boards that sometimes do lead to unexpected results. Sometimes, though, the unexpected result does not happen because a higher ranked player is covering the unexpected result when that team is making its selection. For all we know, Telesco had Jesse Bates (taken 2-54) as the best player on his draft board after Derwin James, but James saved us from a pick that everyone else would have viewed as a reach.

And had James come off of the board in that scenario and we had taken Bates at 1-17, just as you have said, I am sure that Telesco would have thought they were not reaching at all no matter what the rest of the world thought just as was the case with Palmer and McKitty, who were consensus big board round 4-5 and round 6 prospects, respectively.

Comment

Working...
                          X