• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah I deleted it because I saw someone mention the 85 Bears. He didn't specify which year.
    And your answer is confusing as well.
    You see the simple point I'm making. Let's let this lie. Staley places a premium on EDGE + DBs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

You see the simple point I'm making. Let's let this lie. Staley places a premium on EDGE + DBs.
      And I don't agree. He has only been the HC of the Broncos but at SF for his defense he had Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. Big part of the reason they went to a SB.

in Chicago he didn't have great LBs and their defense wasn't that good either. They ranked 24th in 2015 and 2016, moved up to 10th n 2017.

Denver had bad defenses 2.of his 3 years.

​​​​​​
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-12-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

And I don't agree. He has only been the HC of the Broncos but at SF for his defense he had Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. Big part of the reason they went to a SB.

in Chicago he didn't have great LBs and their defense wasn't that good either. They ranked 24th in 2015 and 2016, moved up to 10th n 2017.

Denver had bad defenses 2.of his 3 years.

​​​​​​
          What the HELL does S.F. have to do with this equation in any way shape or form?

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            I was watching more tape on him and he made a great play on special teams.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

What the HELL does S.F. have to do with this equation in any way shape or form?
              He was the DC for Harbaugh, where he didn't have mediocre LBs and it is implied he and Staley don't care about that.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

He was the DC for Harbaugh, where he didn't have mediocre LBs and it is implied he and Staley don't care about that.
                I’m sure Staley would take a Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis if they became available. Just like we would take another LT at RB in the first round.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I’m sure Staley would take a Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis if they became available. Just like we would take another LT at RB in the first round.
                  I said Staley puts a premium on EDGE and DBs and you brought Vic Fangio into the equation. Staley just got into the league in 2018 and Vic hired him, they had a nails defensive line, a stellar backfield, and ILB Roquan Smith and two dudes. 2019, the OLBs for the Broncos were Premium, the DBs were excellent, and the inside LBers were.....two dudes. 2020, Off to L.A. Rams, and Staley inherits a premium defensive, and a star backfield. And Littleton at LB.

This is about asset allocation, nothing more. Staley puts a premium on EDGE and DBs.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I said Staley puts a premium on EDGE and DBs and you brought Vic Fangio into the equation. Staley just got into the league in 2018 and Vic hired him, they had a nails defensive line, a stellar backfield, and ILB Roquan Smith and two dudes. 2019, the OLBs for the Broncos were Premium, the DBs were excellent, and the inside LBers were.....two dudes. 2020, Off to L.A. Rams, and Staley inherits a premium defensive, and a star backfield. And Littleton at LB.

This is about asset allocation, nothing more. Staley puts a premium on EDGE and DBs.

Quoting the wrong person. I agreed with you.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I think this article also explains some of ghost’s reasoning about Staley’s possible decision making on positional value for LB.

What does that mean, in the context of previous drafts? Unless peak Fred Warner is in the green room, it doesn’t make much sense to spend a top-15 pick on a linebacker — if a team ought to pick a linebacker in the first round at all. The first round of Dane Brugler’s latest mock draft features two linebackers, Georgia’s Nakobe Dean and Utah’s Devin Lloyd. But the last five years of first-round linebackers is a testament to the crapshoot nature of looking for franchise cornerstone-level performers in the first 32 picks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I think this article also explains some of ghost’s reasoning about Staley’s possible decision making on positional value for LB.

Well again, I'm not looking at Dean as a ILB only for us. I would not draft Lloyd at 17 but I would Dean because of his versatility to do more things.

Also I'm more replying to some saying Staley don't care about having good ILBs. I'm just calling BS.

​​​​​​As stated by Critty, you need good players and I agree with that and the Rams signed Wagner to bolster that LB core.

I also couldn't read that whole article because I don't subscribe.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Well again, I'm not looking at Dean as a ILB only for us. I would not draft Lloyd at 17 but I would Dean because of his versatility to do more things.

Also I'm more replying to some saying Staley don't care about having good ILBs. I'm just calling BS.

​​​​​​As stated by Critty, you need good players and I agree with that and the Rams signed Wagner to bolster that LB core.

I also couldn't read that whole article because I don't subscribe.
                          It’s just talking about how devalued the LB position is in general. We’re not going to avoid drafting a guy if he’s the next Patrick Willis or even Fred Warner. Also if Dean does get drafted, maybe he plays a hybrid safety role?

From the article:

Nakobe Dean, Georgia, 5-11 1/4, 229

Dean, who didn’t do any athletic testing at the NFL Combine or Georgia’s pro day (pectoral injury), measured a bit beneath the ideal stature for inside linebackers at the NFL level — but it never served as a hindrance against SEC competition. As a run defender, you’d expect a player with Dean’s size and athleticism to slip blocks between the tackles — and he’s excellent at shrinking his target area as a blitzer, dropping his pad level and turning his shoulders and hips away from blockers — but he’s perfectly content to play behind his pads and hands, striking guys at the point of attack and trying to disengage to finish with tackles. It’ll run him into trouble at times, as guards and tackles use his lack of length to keep him from getting the extension needed to see where the flow of the play is headed, but Dean’s ability to diagnose the action pre-snap — based on formation, back location and even offensive linemen’s stances — keeps him a half-step ahead of the play more often than not.

Dean’s best trait, and the selling point for any team interested in adding him to the fold, is his tackling ability. The only players at or above his level as a tackler in this draft wore the same uniform as Dean in 2021: Georgia safety Lewis Cine and linebacker Channing Tindall. Dean’s lateral range is what makes his playmaking ability possible to begin with, as he truly tracks the football from sideline to sideline. Dean finishes tackles well in space and appears comfortable when running backs motion out into empty sets, forcing him to cover in the seams or up the sideline. Dean’s coverage ability is likely confined to matching up with running backs or dropping into “middle hook/low hole” areas in zone coverage in the NFL, but he has enough feel for route concepts as they distribute downfield to handle the in-breaking routes in the 12-to-15-yard range pro offenses love to target.

Is Dean a worthy first-rounder?

Dean, much like Aidan Hutchinson as an edge rusher, has been tied to all of the typical coach-speak platitudes: he plays bigger than his frame, he’s a coach on the field, he has a “dog” mentality, and so forth. Each of these superlatives are accurate, but they don’t properly underscore his impact on a play-to-play basis. The entire Georgia defense moved as he did, and his leadership on the field is evident. As far as intangibles, you’d be hard pressed to find a more qualified prospect at this position.

My concern, and why I ultimately fall short of considering Dean as a first-round prospect, comes back to the same reasons I love him in the first place: the ways that Kirby Smart used him at Georgia. Anytime Dean’s defense got into trouble, you could almost guarantee Georgia would call a blitz for him to disrupt a run or manufacture an unblocked pressure against the pass. If Dean plays for a coordinator who doesn’t believe in solving all his problems with aggression, it’s possible that he could have a slower start to his career.

If a contending team trades back into the pick Nos. 35-40 range and he’s available, Dean would make for an ideal surplus value pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X