• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

We’ve been wanting a safety hybrid LB for a long time, White was a converted safety, he was supposed to then be excellent in coverage. Nope. Maybe a LB with safety qualities works better? Someone you don’t have to sub out, or can still cover when the opposing O goes into hurry up?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      It’s just talking about how devalued the LB position is in general. We’re not going to avoid drafting a guy if he’s the next Patrick Willis or even Fred Warner. Also if Dean does get drafted, maybe he plays a hybrid safety role?

From the article:
      That's the vision I've been thinking he can play. LB if need be and the hybrid role.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-13-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's the vision I've been thinking he can play. LB if need be and the hybrid role.
        Here’s what Popper thinks about the LB position with Staley.
        Why do we have so much faith in K9 when Kyzir was a cheap option and was already proving himself last year? — @DanGallo96

The Chargers let Kyzir White, their leading tackler last season, leave in free agency. And that decision does show some belief in 2020 first-round pick Kenneth Murray to a certain extent. He was playing on two bad ankles last season, and he eventually had surgery on one of them earlier this month. The Chargers feel like they can get more out of him. But I think the logic is a little more nuanced than that.

The decision to let White walk also shows belief in Drue Tranquill, who came back from a serious ankle injury in 2020 and had a solid season in his first year in Staley’s scheme. It also shows belief in the two other linebackers on the roster, second-year players Amen Ogbongbemiga and Nick Niemann. And it also shows belief in the scouting department and coaching staff to find a cheaper, younger linebacker in the later rounds of this draft to fill out that room.

A point I think is being overlooked in this linebacker discussion is how the Chargers played in nickel packages last season. They did not have enough talent and depth on the defensive line last season, so they often played with four-man fronts when they brought on a fifth defensive back. That meant two inside linebackers on the field.

Digging into the numbers, the Chargers played with four-man fronts — two interior defensive linemen and two edge rushers — on more than 70 percent of their snaps in nickel packages last season, according to TruMedia. They played with five-man fronts — three interior defensive linemen and two edge rushers — on 26.4 percent of their nickel snaps.

Compare that to 2020 when Staley was the defensive coordinator for the Rams and had the requisite talent on the interior. Staley’s defense played with five-man fronts on 44.11 percent of nickel snaps. They played with four-man fronts on just 47.8 percent of their nickel snaps.

The whole plan this offseason has been rebuilding the defense in Staley’s image so he can play the way he wants to play. It is clear he wants to play with more five-man fronts in nickel packages with only one linebacker on the field. That was his preference when he built the best defense in football with the Rams. However, he was utilizing his personnel the best he could in 2021. The Chargers’ deepest position was at linebacker, and Staley leaned into that. But now the Chargers have gone out and acquired big, long, physical and versatile defensive linemen in Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson, tailoring the personnel to how Staley wants to play.

Linebacker is just not that important in this scheme. Yes, Murray must grow and improve. Yes, they will likely add another linebacker. But I also expect the Chargers to play with two linebackers on the field much less frequently in nickel packages, and that needs to be factored into the linebacker calculus.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think this article also explains some of ghost’s reasoning about Staley’s possible decision making on positional value for LB.

Great take, X. I don't know if I'll see another MLB in the draft Top Ten in my lifetime. Junior Seau was in 1990, so that is how the game evolved.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Here’s what Popper thinks about the LB position with Staley.
            What he means is idealy he would like to use less LBs on the field. It does not mean they arent important and anybody could play there. I dont get the draw to Amen as of yet. He hasnt impressed much but hey cut everyone and lets go with him because he is cheap and LB iant important to Staley.

I just hate Popper using that phrase because that isnt what it means. There will be games that we will use LBs more like when we play the Titans and other more running teams.

Nakobe Dean is not a player i think we must have , but i do think he is a player that fits well and he will be a better player than Tranquill who is heading into his last year of his contract. Reeder is a 1 year deal and Amen is JAG

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The only players at or above his level as a tackler in this draft wore the same uniform as Dean in 2021: Georgia safety Lewis Cine - Daniel Popper

Remember the fun in December that wasn't had when I suggest that....Draft Cine at #17 and you have a hybrid nickel and dime.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                The only players at or above his level as a tackler in this draft wore the same uniform as Dean in 2021: Georgia safety Lewis Cine - Daniel Popper

Remember the fun in December that wasn't had when I suggest that....Draft Cine at #17 and you have a hybrid nickel and dime.
                I remember. Liked it then, still do.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Could also get a safety that can play high and let Derwin play the hybrid role. He’s already calling the D so putting him more in the middle fits, it gets him more involved as a pass rusher, it would also make the defense a bit harder to read, and Derwin is a sure tackler. Staley said he wants Derwin to be the QB of the defense, letting him be in the middle of the D with the green dot would allow a lot more pre-play flexibility. I think getting an impact S in the draft is one of the best ways to help our D this year, I’d take a S before an IDL for sure at this point.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Could also get a safety that can play high and let Derwin play the hybrid role. He’s already calling the D so putting him more in the middle fits, it gets him more involved as a pass rusher, it would also make the defense a bit harder to read, and Derwin is a sure tackler. Staley said he wants Derwin to be the QB of the defense, letting him be in the middle of the D with the green dot would allow a lot more pre-play flexibility. I think getting an impact S in the draft is one of the best ways to help our D this year, I’d take a S before an IDL for sure at this point.
                    Correct. Get Derwin help. Chiefs beat the Chargers because Derwin was standing on the sideline and TE Kelce run amok. If a move isn't made at S, it's because they still believe in Mark Webb and we just haven't seen it on the field.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Correct. Get Derwin help. Chiefs beat the Chargers because Derwin was standing on the sideline and TE Kelce run amok. If a move isn't made at S, it's because they still believe in Mark Webb and we just haven't seen it on the field.
                      We’re drafting a safety, book it.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

We’re drafting a safety, book it.
                        In the later rounds most likely.

Comment